Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2009, 12:23 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,142,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
In Calif a DMV hand book is available in ENGLISH or SPANISH.

Won't be long before all street signs will be in figurines instead of words...who needs to read ENGLISH?

Today there are many signs that show a figurine and a ENGLISH word(s)...I'm waiting for them to be in SPANISH also.

Lets see now "STOP/ALTO"...yep...that will work...question what to use for a figurine?

Steve
And the screaming irony is that freeway signs in China are posted in (probabaly) Mandarin and..........are you sitting down? English-------not Spanish, Russian, Hungarian or any other language.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/29/PRC_Expressway_RoadSign_Distances.jpg (broken link)

Also; the English word 'Stop' is used in most nations of the EU up to and including France, Italy, Germany, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari..._traffic_signs

Last edited by ArizonaBear; 11-26-2009 at 12:32 PM..

Old 11-28-2009, 10:35 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,203,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
One of the problems we have with illegal immigrants in the U.S. is that many U.S. citizens cannot communicate with them, and therefore we misunderstand them. Too few U.S. citizens speak a second language. Other countries are FAR ahead of us in this area. Have you been to Europe lately? EVERYONE speaks two languages, sometimes three or more. Japan, Korea—heck, most of Asia—almost always speak a second language. Yet here in the good ole USA we generally speak only English—and often not well. I think we would better understand and appreciate the illegal aliens living among us if we could communicate with them.

To encourage more U.S. citizens to learn a second language we should have more than one official language. Like Canada with English/French. I suggest Spanish in addition to English for us here in America. Spanish is a logical choice since we already have so many Spanish speaking U.S. citizens. This would help to avoid falling behind the rest of the world in linguistic skills.

More importantly it would help assimilate the millions of Spanish speaking illegal immigrants now living in the U.S. I think they would be more likely to seek American citizenship if Spanish was the official second U.S. language.

how about a big NO, how about the illegals go back to whence they came from, apply for legal immigration and learn the english language as a primary language.

Old 11-28-2009, 12:10 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,933,822 times
Can understand the usage of English in street signs in Singapore or that neck of the woods based upon Englands time of rule.

Have seen on TV videos of China and of Asian countries and signs showing English.

Have never been there so do not know the exact needs.

Based upon size many European countries would fit within the US borders.

The close proximity to the borders would make it easy for many to learn/speak the others language to some extent...thus the two or more languages being spoken.

The US has only Canada on the north and Mexico on the south. Many US citizens in the central US have never been to Canada or Mexico thus have never been exposed to French or Spanish.

Question is why they should be required to learn either French or Spanish due to any mass influx of those people that refuse to assimilate to US standards of English.

There is NO problem with those who wish to retain and speak their native tongue but at the same time should learn the language of their NEW adoped country.

Steve

Old 11-28-2009, 12:14 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,188,268 times
Hey, just in case you did not know it, the USA does not have a official first language. English is our national language not our official language. The USA does not have a official language.

A official language, is more of a legal status granted by the countries government. English in the USA does not have that status...........

243 posts and none of you know it all's knew that...........damn.

Let me guess, you missed Civics class on that day?

Quote:
One of the problems we have with illegal immigrants in the U.S. is that many U.S. citizens cannot communicate with them, and therefore we misunderstand them. Too few U.S. citizens speak a second language. Other countries are FAR ahead of us in this area. Have you been to Europe lately? EVERYONE speaks two languages, sometimes three or more. Japan, Korea—heck, most of Asia—almost always speak a second language. Yet here in the good ole USA we generally speak only English—and often not well. I think we would better understand and appreciate the illegal aliens living among us if we could communicate with them.

To encourage more U.S. citizens to learn a second language we should have more than one official language. Like Canada with English/French. I suggest Spanish in addition to English for us here in America. Spanish is a logical choice since we already have so many Spanish speaking U.S. citizens. This would help to avoid falling behind the rest of the world in linguistic skills.

More importantly it would help assimilate the millions of Spanish speaking illegal immigrants now living in the U.S. I think they would be more likely to seek American citizenship if Spanish was the official second U.S. language.

Last edited by Ron.; 11-28-2009 at 12:24 PM..

Old 11-28-2009, 02:00 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,977,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Hey, just in case you did not know it, the USA does not have a official first language. English is our national language not our official language. The USA does not have a official language.

A official language, is more of a legal status granted by the countries government. English in the USA does not have that status...........

Its kind of one of those things that is common sense by now. If you take a look at other threads about immigration and illegal aliens, you will see that what you just presented as breaking news, has actually been mentioned, dissected and discussed many times over before. (sometimes by the same people who have posted in this thread)

Old 11-28-2009, 02:21 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,559,850 times
Quote:
In Calif a DMV hand book is available in ENGLISH or SPANISH.

Won't be long before all street signs will be in figurines instead of words...who needs to read ENGLISH?

Today there are many signs that show a figurine and a ENGLISH word(s)...I'm waiting for them to be in SPANISH also.

Lets see now "STOP/ALTO"...yep...that will work...question what to use for a figurine?

Steve
The day could rapidly be approaching in which angry, frustrated gringos band together in some sort of class-action lawsuit, demanding that ALL California cities, counties, and geographical features be indentified in English, as well as the everyday Spanish, on public signs, as well as on all maps.

Imagine the expense of new signs, in English, alongside the already existing signs at the city limits of Rancho Santa Margarita, or San Luis Obispo, Escondido, or Fresno. Imagine for a moment the expense of re-publishing all maps showing the Sierra Nevada, San Juan Capistrano, or Encinitas, in words that anglophones could comprehend.

Imagine the backlash as angry Hispanic activists insisted that Twentynine Palms be designated "vientenueve palmas"; or that Bakersfield suddenly become "el campo del panadero"....Imagine the anger; imagine the expense; imagine the lawsuits.

The whole thing would just get plain silly. One good thing, though...no matter what happened, we wouldn't have to worry about the state being bankrupted. That's already happened.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:15 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,142,387 times
Quote:
Can understand the usage of English in street signs in Singapore or that neck of the woods based upon Englands time of rule.

Have seen on TV videos of China and of Asian countries and signs showing English.

Have never been there so do not know the exact needs.

Based upon size many European countries would fit within the US borders.

The close proximity to the borders would make it easy for many to learn/speak the others language to some extent...thus the two or more languages being spoken.

The US has only Canada on the north and Mexico on the south. Many US citizens in the central US have never been to Canada or Mexico thus have never been exposed to French or Spanish.

Question is why they should be required to learn either French or Spanish due to any mass influx of those people that refuse to assimilate to US standards of English.

There is NO problem with those who wish to retain and speak their native tongue but at the same time should learn the language of their NEW adoped country.

Steve
Apparently; said English signage is around Beijing and is speading to other Chinese cities. Note that outside of Macau (Portuguese); no other language is used aside from Chinese---------no French, Japanese, German, Spanish, etc.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:28 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,292,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post

Actually, if you took time to read any of the posts,you would know that I did say that a while back. But thanks for your condescending post.

//www.city-data.com/forum/11651167-post124.html

The search button is a magical thing.

Last edited by thePR; 11-28-2009 at 07:57 PM..

Old 11-28-2009, 09:30 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,850,889 times
Quote:
No.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:43 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,436,759 times
Quote:
When you have smaller countries (each with their own language) that all border each other, you need a second common language. If each state in the U.S. had it's own language, then it would be necessary.

Quote:

You want the entire country to adopt a second language to accommodate people that are here illegally....you're joking right? I guess it would make a little bit of sense if it was to help the people that were here legally but, illegally....I don't think so. They already seek citizenship but, it's not available because each has a certain quota that are allowed each year and the amount of people that come here from Mexico annually far exceeds their quota.

Why don't people who come here from another country illegally learn english instead....don't you think that would be a good idea....then they could assimilate with all the people that are hear legally (that came from many different countries and learned english, if they didn't already know it when, they got hear). That's they way it gets done when people come here legally. If I was in another country illegally, I would learn to speak that country's language before I even went there.....that way even if I'm there illegally, the citizens of that country will have less to complain about me being there that way.....after all, I'm the one that wants to be there, they're not the ones that want me there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration