Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2009, 05:39 PM

776 posts, read 1,276,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal
Illegals, on the other hand, perform a service that society values. Illegals are in demand because they work hard for relatively low wages. Employers can’t find U.S. citizens who will take the difficult, dirty jobs that illegals typically flourish in. If employers could find citizens to fill these low skill positions, they would.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
You really are naive, aren't you? Please provide proof of your assertsions.
Proof? Easy. I googled the phrase “Illegal aliens work hard for low wages” and here is the first hit:

Quote:
Among the low-skilled, immigrants are much more likely than natives to be employed. At the height of the recent economic boom, the number of hours worked by the typical low-skilled immigrant was 56 percent greater than for the typical low-skilled native. This is in part because the two populations are very different.

Most low-skilled immigrants are able-bodied individuals who have come to the United States to improve their lives. While they might take menial jobs in our country, their skills would place them solidly in the middle of the pack back home. Many low-skilled natives, on the other hand, are individuals who are from unstable homes or grew in poor neighborhoods, or they simply do not have what it takes to succeed in a technologically sophisticated society.
NY Times blog

Old 11-30-2009, 06:23 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,322,917 times
Repeating once again.

Were they talking about "immigrants" or illegal aliens"? My guess it is the latter and we already know why employers hire them over American citizens and it is because they work cheaper. That doesn't necessarily mean they work harder either.

As I have pointed out before there is nothing wrong with an American wanting to be a blue colllar worker and it doesn't mean they have some psychological problems or came from bad backgrounds either. Some people prefer doing manual labor jobs and many of those jobs paid a liveable wage or at least they did till the illegals arrived on the scene.

How do you explain why the farmers hire illegal aliens over using visas to gain legal immigrants for those jobs if the claim is that "immigrants" work harder than Americans then? Wouldn't the legal ones work as hard as the illegal ones? I already told you that they hire illegals because it is more profitable so that blows your theory right there about them being more hard working.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:05 PM

309 posts, read 427,927 times
While it has been mentioned many times English is our Federal "national" language rather than our "official" language, (thanks in part to former CO Senator Salazar), I would like to mention for the record that English is the "official" language of 30 states, soon to be 31. Surprisingly CA is one of the states where English is the official language. Sadly, it just goes to show that because English is designated official, doesn't mean it will be enforced. Kind of reminds you of how our immigration laws are enforced huh? I'm just sayin....

English in the 50 states (http://www.proenglish.org/issues/offeng/states.html - broken link)

Old 12-01-2009, 06:43 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,730,837 times
This thread has gone off topic and turned into the same old argument we've had here so many times.
Please get back on topic or the thread will be closed.
Yac.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBorn View Post
While it has been mentioned many times English is our Federal "national" language rather than our "official" language, (thanks in part to former CO Senator Salazar), I would like to mention for the record that English is the "official" language of 30 states, soon to be 31. Surprisingly CA is one of the states where English is the official language. Sadly, it just goes to show that because English is designated official, doesn't mean it will be enforced. Kind of reminds you of how our immigration laws are enforced huh? I'm just sayin....

English in the 50 states (http://www.proenglish.org/issues/offeng/states.html - broken link)
Good point. The website you cite is quite interesting as well.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:00 AM

35 million people in America speak Spanish as their primary language. There are another 45 million bilinguals speaking both English and Spanish. In Canada only 7 million people speak French as their primary language. Yet French is one of the official languages of Canada.

Based solely on the numbers it makes sense for Spanish to be our secondary official language in America. What would this possibly hurt. I don’t see any downside to this.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
35 million people in America speak Spanish as their primary language. There are another 45 million bilinguals speaking both English and Spanish. In Canada only 7 million people speak French as their primary language. Yet French is one of the official languages of Canada.

Based solely on the numbers it makes sense for Spanish to be our secondary official language in America. What would this possibly hurt. I don’t see any downside to this.
Yet English is our national language and spoken by most everyone including Latinos in this country but every attempt to make it our "official" language is balked at by mostly Latinos complaining that it is racist. Let's make English our official language first and then we can talk about adding Spanish as a second one.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Yet English is our national language and spoken by most everyone in this country but every attempt to make it our "official" language is balked at by mostly Latinos complaining that it is racist. Let's make English our official language first and then we can talk about adding Spanish as a second one.
Say, that IS a good idea. Better yet, we should adopt English as our primary official language, and in the same bill adopt Spanish as our secondary official language. Think of the dollars saved on Capitol Hill by consolidating the two efforts.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Say, that IS a good idea. Better yet, we should adopt English as our primary official language, and in the same bill adopt Spanish as our secondary official language. Think of the dollars saved on Capitol Hill by consolidating the two efforts.
I disagree with your consolidation effort. English is undeniably our national language and should be made official with no questions asked. Spanish or any other language shouldn't be considered at this time as a secondary official language. I think the majority of Americans should decide whether they want a second official language or not.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:

One thing you forget is that many of those who speak Spanish as their primary language in this country are here illegally. So no, we shouldn't make Spanish our official language based on that.

I thought the claim was that Hispanics are assimilating anyway? So why then is Spanish their primary language of usage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration