Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 11:50 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,908,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Yes, I believe people DO receive benefits individually. A mother has one child and is on welfare...she gets XX dollars. If she has a second or third the number of dollars increases, as does the amount of food stamps.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not on welfare.

Everyone living in the household receives the welfare/food stamp benefit.

It equals almost 100 million dollars a year out of taxpayers pockets to take care of the illegals. That's $100 million that could be going to our schools or another worthy cause. And it's coming out of MY POCKET!
No people don't. When my dad graduated from his masters program, he was on foodstamps and welfare (yeah poor college grad!!! Good thing I was not born yet, lol). It was NOT on an individual basis. Again, that is on a per household basis. $800 a month (I think) is not really much to cover a cost of a new baby. It doesn't serve to incentivize having more children, nor does it.

The main issue is that those with less education tend to have more children. Though my dad was poor immediately out of college (I guess like father like son), he had only child. Monetarily poor, yet socially middle class (college education). If we can expand education and thus provide more opportunities, then it WILL decrease relience on social services. A UCSB study illustrated this point.

As for the whole 10 family in a house thing, this is not ALWAYS the case. In fact, most likely, it's the exception. It's kind of hard to confirm in either direction, however, if you look at the new immigrant population you can extrapolate and find that most live with one family per household.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 12:16 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,567,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
No people don't. When my dad graduated from his masters program, he was on foodstamps and welfare (yeah poor college grad!!! Good thing I was not born yet, lol). It was NOT on an individual basis. Again, that is on a per household basis. $800 a month (I think) is not really much to cover a cost of a new baby. It doesn't serve to incentivize having more children, nor does it.

The main issue is that those with less education tend to have more children. Though my dad was poor immediately out of college (I guess like father like son), he had only child. Monetarily poor, yet socially middle class (college education). If we can expand education and thus provide more opportunities, then it WILL decrease relience on social services. A UCSB study illustrated this point.

As for the whole 10 family in a house thing, this is not ALWAYS the case. In fact, most likely, it's the exception. It's kind of hard to confirm in either direction, however, if you look at the new immigrant population you can extrapolate and find that most live with one family per household.
Quote:
Welfare payments are part of welfare benefits are provided by state governments and are regulated by the SRS programs as determined by each state government. Who can receive these welfare benefits is determined by a number of eligibility requirements which include:

•If anyone in the household is pregnant.
•Household gross income for the month.
•If there are migrant or seasonal workers in the home.
•How much the rent or mortgage payments are for the household.
•How much the utility bills are for the household.
•Any other necessary and required living expenses.
•Individual gross incomes for each family member.
•Actual available cash on hand for the household including checking and savings accounts.
•Whether any other benefits are being received in the home.
•If there are any disabled or infirmed persons in the home.
•If any family members live outside the home.
•Any criminal convictions within the home.
US Welfare System - Help for US Citizens

Old 11-13-2009, 12:55 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,908,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Which is more or less along the lines I was stating...

Old 11-13-2009, 02:20 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
No, I'm right about this...According to the CIS, roughly 20% of illegal Mexican households are on welfare. 8% on foodstamps, 1.9% for subsidized housing (vs. 4.2% for native born Americans)...so the VAST majority are not using welfare. This is from a HIGHLY anti-immigration source.

Don't know how the SMALL minority of people obtain said benefits. The largest benefit used was subsidized school lunches at 37%.
The largest benefit being abused by Illegal Aliens is the school system via the 14th amendment. That alone accounts for billions of dollars.

Just by showing up they have already gamed the system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration