Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 12:12 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,557,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Here is the exact part of the film about illegals, but you have to watch the entire thing.

@4:00 min it talks about the illegals...how government is cracking down on the illegals but not the companies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ctikc...eature=related

@5:44 ICE is arresting Smithfield workers at the trailer parks, agreement between Smithfield and Immigration for 15 workers to be taken per day but cannot disrupt the plant.

The entire movie is available on Youtube for free, WATCH IT before you refute what I say.
Clearly, the illegal cheap labor industry is a dirty business. Of course, all illicit enterprises are. They need to tackle the problem of both illegal employers AND employees. Unfortunately, too many people in positions of power profit from illegal immigration. It’s similar to the drug trade, only slightly more pervasive. I wonder how many supporters of illegal immigration actually realize what they are condoning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 12:15 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,494,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
"Illegals", as y'all like to call them, make up only a very small portion of the overall themes of "Food, Inc." I watched it yesterday, in fact.
Likewise, but it does a fairly good job of explaining the problem and its impetus in the food processing realm.

It only spent maybe 5-10 min covering illegals, but if you extrapolate from the entire movie it is evident the power that these companies yield.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderlord View Post
To replenish its depleted ranks, Swift launched a campaign to recruit American citizens, green card holders, and refugees. It raised wages, provided bonuses to new workers, and paid relocation expenses. As a result, all the Swift plants were able to resume full production within four or five months"
There’s nothing like Americans doing the jobs “Americans won’t do.”

Old 11-23-2009, 12:27 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,059,639 times
It is common knowledge those factories are full of undocumented people. Those are the type of jobs that most citizens don't want to work because they are extremely dangerous and losing a limb or a finger is quite common in those places.

I have known this fact since the first month I arrived to the USA because I heard all the horror stories and met people who were missing fingers. Many factory jobs are dangerous, it is not just limited to the meat industry, that's why the USA took them all to China, except for food production because it's not feasible.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:32 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,494,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
It is common knowledge those factories are full of undocumented people. Those are the type of jobs that most citizens don't want to work because they are extremely dangerous and losing a limb or a finger is quite common in those places.

I have known this fact since the first month I arrived to the USA because I heard all the horror stories and met people who were missing fingers. Many factory jobs are dangerous, it is not just limited to the meat industry, that's why the USA took them all to China, except for food production because it's not feasible.

I guess it is common knowledge, but I never knew the power that these huge corporations have when it comes to illegals, they actually strike deals with ICE.

This documentary does a good job getting behind the scenes and shows the corruption. Shows how the workers being here for 10+years making our bacon and hamburgers are getting the brunt of anti-illegal push, and yet employers like the above mentioned Swift are getting away with it and in the end when they are forced to hire Americans..they can even look good.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
I guess it is common knowledge, but I never knew the power that these huge corporations have when it comes to illegals, they actually strike deals with ICE.

This documentary does a good job getting behind the scenes and shows the corruption. Shows how the workers being here for 10+years making our bacon and hamburgers are getting the brunt of anti-illegal push, and yet employers like the above mentioned Swift are getting away with it and in the end when they are forced to hire Americans..they can even look good.
Yet, if amnesty is granted, these same employers of illegals, will also be absolved of their crimes; just like illegals. How is that right?

Old 11-23-2009, 12:42 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
Quote:
Likewise, but it does a fairly good job of explaining the problem and its impetus in the food processing realm.

It only spent maybe 5-10 min covering illegals, but if you extrapolate from the entire movie it is evident the power that these companies yield.

Right, but personally, worrying about "illegals" was not something the film left me with.

Generally speaking I thought the film was very informative, but one-sided. My inner libertarian spent most of the film whispering, "This is a bunch of B.S., these people are all choosing to do XYZ, not being 'forced by the big bad companies...' "

Old 11-23-2009, 12:45 PM

706 posts, read 939,850 times
Quote:

God forbid they should be forced to hire Americans and legal residents....Not to mention being forced to adhere to that pesky little thing known as the law !!!!

What is this country coming to when the "Wall Street Farmers" cannot break any law they see fit to ingnore...

Old 11-23-2009, 01:00 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
Actually, nevermind. I forgot I was on this forum. Please, carry on about "them thar a-legals who took our jobs."

Old 11-23-2009, 01:01 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,059,639 times
Quote:
and yet employers like the above mentioned Swift are getting away with it and in the end when they are forced to hire Americans..they can even look good.
Welcome to the real world. There are a lot of things that many people out there get away with. It's upsetting but that's the way it is.

I highly doubt though that they will hire Americans. Maybe for a month or two for PR purposes. It's not good business for them. They would have to raise meat prices to compensate for benefits and lawsuits. Once meat becomes unaffordable people will buy less or stop buying. They are not stupid, it's just easier and cheaper to make some "donations" to Washington DC. The general public won't care because everybody is enjoying their Big Macs and affordable "all you can eat" buffets. It's a win'win for everybody, except for those that lose a limb or their lives in those factories.

What is ironic is that conservatives, who are usually so anti immigration are usually the people who consume most of this stuff. They stuff their faces, abuse their bodies, and eventually drain the healthcare industry with their diabetes and cardiovascular conditions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration