Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 06:03 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,188,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpayaso View Post
Any stats, or just more of your anti-Latino sentiment?
Or wait..does your comment have to do with immigration?

Ignorant comment about Americans of Latino descent having "heavy accents like they just immigrated here". Perfect example for your posts. Unless you have a study that shows that, it sounds like you're just showing more of your prejudice.
Prejudice? I am going by my observations of people in general so no links handy. Needless to say: I stand by what I stated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 06:06 PM

313 posts, read 344,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Prejudice? I am going by my observations of people in general so no links handy. Needless to say: I stand by what I stated.
It's your opinion, and one that is heavily biased and influenced by your anti-Mexican/Latino/Hispanic prejudice.

And again, was your insulting, offensive comment about Latinos of American descent, or "just illegals irrespective of ethnicity"?

Old 01-04-2010, 06:07 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,877,824 times
Asian,European and African Immigrant children usually learn English quicker than Spanish speaking immigrants. I spent most of my school years in LA Unified and in the ESL classes the Spanish speakers would be there for years.English should be a lot easier for a spanish speaking students than an asian or arabic speaker as it uses the same alphabet and some of the same words and is part of the Indo-European language group. I'm not stating that they couldn't learn as quickly.
It was probably either not as important to them and/or more culturally acceptable.In parts of S. California you can get by for years without learning the language,even if it puts you at a disadvantage. Unlike immigrants from elsewhere we are not getting a lot of kids coming in from south of the border that are children of Doctors,Lawyers or other professionals with a higher education.Most of the children of Illegals are from poorer,less educated areas.If most of the children coming in were from Mexico's or Latin America's upper classes we would not see this disparity.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Try again.

\

Unfortunately; too many 'Mexican/Central American' Latinos (of any race/ethnicity) tend to stand out including their US born kids with their basic mannerisms including heavily accented/whiny English whereas the US born children of South Americans (also Hispanic), African Blacks, Euros of any race as well as Asians usually speak standard American English, etc.

Can someone say 'lightning rods' for potential abuse of the first group?

MOre on that...you speak so matter-of-factly, almost as if it concerns you for them, then you say how it's actually personal for you:

Quote:
That is what I am referring to.............that whiny-ass accent which grates on my nerves.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:12 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,188,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
Asian,European and African Immigrant children usually learn English quicker than Spanish speaking immigrants. I spent most of my school years in LA Unified and in the ESL classes the Spanish speakers would be there for years.English should be a lot easier for a spanish speaking students than an asian or arabic speaker as it uses the same alphabet and some of the same words and is part of the Indo-European language group. I'm not stating that they couldn't learn as quickly.
It was probably either not as important to them and/or more culturally acceptable.In parts of S. California you can get by for years without learning the language,even if it puts you at a disadvantage. Unlike immigrants from elsewhere we are not getting a lot of kids coming in from south of the border that are children of Doctors,Lawyers or other professionals with a higher education.Most of the children of Illegals are from poorer,less educated areas.If most of the children coming in were from Mexico's or Latin America's upper classes we would not see this disparity.
Actually; Hispanics from South America tend to assimilate quite quickly as well---------probably because most of 'em are here legally.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:28 PM

157 posts, read 137,498 times
Macmeal and California Jewel, thanks for the welcome! I look forward to posting here as time permits. I'm generally good-natured, but sometimes I do get my "Italian up."

California Jewel, I had to laugh at your reference to learning the "choice words." I almost included that in my comments, but decided against divulging that bit of info on my first post. But, what the hey! My great-grandparents immigrated here from Naples; my grandparents spoke Italian as well as English and I, too, wish I knew more Italian and not just those "choice words."

Old 01-04-2010, 08:04 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,590,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Okay Benicar, I have a question for you. I am not grouping Illegal immigrants with Legal Immigrants but...I still fail to see your point.

What makes you think that psychologically illegal immigrants do not have the same motivational drive as legal immigrants? The majority of illegal immigrants are here on an expired visa which means that they were screened and allowed to come here for one reason or another LEGALLY.

Can you provide us with some Psychology journal with that information? Thanks
Human nature dictates that people who are living in a country illegally will assimilate at a much slower rate; particularly, when they tend to reside in ethnic enclaves, and are accommodated by having everything available in their native language.

Given that their future is precarious due to the potential for deportation, assimilation is simply not a priority. Contrast that to legal immigrants who are authorized to be here, and have every intention of remaining. Hence, they would naturally be more motivated to integrate into mainstream society.

The initial mode of entry does not alter their current illegal status. A visa overstay is as much an illegal alien as one who swims across the Rio Grande. I would even venture to say, the vast majority intended to overstay visas prior to arriving in this country. Thus, their methods may have differed, but their motives were the same. They ALL made a conscious decision to violate our laws.

You are free to research journals to refute me.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:44 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,256,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Okay Benicar, I have a question for you. I am not grouping Illegal immigrants with Legal Immigrants but...I still fail to see your point.

What makes you think that psychologically illegal immigrants do not have the same motivational drive as legal immigrants? The majority of illegal immigrants are here on an expired visa which means that they were screened and allowed to come here for one reason or another LEGALLY.

Can you provide us with some Psychology journal with that information? Thanks
Well I think it is fair to point out the greatest and most obvious difference in regards to what motivates each group.
The legal immigrant is determined to follow the rules of entry and obey our laws to the very best of their abilities. In short to be model citizens.
The illegal immigrants have chosen to ignore our rules of entry and have also chosen to violate various laws. They care not about who they harm in pursuit of their own goals and interests. In short becoming a model citizen is not on their priority list.
Legals are proud of being a legal citizen. Illegals take pride in not getting caught.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Well I think it is fair to point out the greatest and most obvious difference in regards to what motivates each group.
The legal immigrant is determined to follow the rules of entry and obey our laws to the very best of their abilities. In short to be model citizens.
The illegal immigrants have chosen to ignore our rules of entry and have also chosen to violate various laws. They care not about who they harm in pursuit of their own goals and interests. In short becoming a model citizen is not on their priority list.
Legals are proud of being a legal citizen. Illegals take pride in not getting caught.
How did you come to these broad generalizations? It's a little personality-specific.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:59 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,256,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpayaso View Post
How did you come to these broad generalizations? It's a little personality-specific.
Being married to a legal and thus meeting quite a few others of her race and ethnic group you see and learn quite a bit.
My wife being Asian and from Thailand. She like her friends here are proud of their legal status and have no regrets about the effort it took to make it happen. I have yet to meet a legal asian immigrant that actually feels an illegal is justified. No doubt there are some out there I just have not met any.
Legals wait their turn pay the fees and are justified in their pride.
Illegals? What can they be proud of? Not getting caught?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration