Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 04:25 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,454,615 times

Advertisements

We also got the help from India, having trouble with internet, phone service etc. So we needed help. Believe me i am not trying to be mean, but i could not for the life of me understand the gentlemen trying to help us. I finally said, look i need someone english to speak with, he understood. I hung up and called up again, doing everything in my power to get to a friggin real person. Around 5 attempts. I finally said, look do not transfer me, i want someone english speaking, or cancel my service immediately, beccause i cannot get the help needed. Funny thing, all of a sudden, lo and behold, magically a english speaking supervisor was there to help us. Why oh why did we have to go thru about 5 phone calls before getting someone english speaking, and after claiming i wanted my service canceled. Also how can we get the help needed if the young Indian gentlemen hired to do a job, did not understand a thing i was saying. We pay enough in phone internt services, and cable and we can't get help in english.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 04:41 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,850,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
We also got the help from India, having trouble with internet, phone service etc. So we needed help. Believe me i am not trying to be mean, but i could not for the life of me understand the gentlemen trying to help us. I finally said, look i need someone english to speak with, he understood. I hung up and called up again, doing everything in my power to get to a friggin real person. Around 5 attempts. I finally said, look do not transfer me, i want someone english speaking, or cancel my service immediately, beccause i cannot get the help needed. Funny thing, all of a sudden, lo and behold, magically a english speaking supervisor was there to help us. Why oh why did we have to go thru about 5 phone calls before getting someone english speaking, and after claiming i wanted my service canceled. Also how can we get the help needed if the young Indian gentlemen hired to do a job, did not understand a thing i was saying. We pay enough in phone internt services, and cable and we can't get help in english.
"a friggin real person" = Someone whom speaks English...

LOL

Old 08-23-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madd love View Post
The English made this country
"The English" as in the British Empire?...

Old 08-23-2011, 05:06 PM

737 posts, read 1,149,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss yauco View Post
I agree with almost everything you say. The reality is that spanish is ubiquitous all over the usa, and that no one should be forced to learn it, I do know many people that feel very uncomfortable among spanish speaking people, my advice is, if it impairs your quality of life, then learn the darn language, it's not that hard, this is america, and we have the freedom to speak in whatever language we choose....
First of all if you were an American you would know that America is CAPITALIZED!

Every other nationality has wanted to learn English.

A person that speaks a foreign language when others can hear is being very rude. It is the same as farting in church. You have the right to do it, but its wrong.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:47 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss yauco View Post
I know it's hard for many people to understand, but the reality is that our most important cities have a predominat spanish speaking population, I'm talking bout LA, NYC, Houston, San Antonio, Chicago, miami, boston, etc.. So, if you are paranoid because you can't understand most people, the solution is to learn spanish. You could make the case for other languages but the fact is that Spanish is spoken by almost 100 million people in usa as either first or second language, also spanish precedes english by 100 years as the first european language in us territory....
I already speak Spanish. However, I resent being forced to do so because insolent illegals who have lived here for years refuse to learn the predominant language, i.e. the de facto official language of this country, which is English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWgal View Post
I'm moving from UTD to TWU and none of them require foreign language. Now, I only know about science degrees. Maybe liberal arts are different.
Hopefully you are taking a foreign language even though you are not required to do so. I am a strong believer in, and advocate for, foreign language instruction from the earliest years of elementary school through college. I personally speak more languages than I can count on one hand.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:17 PM

838 posts, read 922,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbomo View Post
Where is our priorties? Do we speak English or do we speak
Spanish? I called Att&T today and they "Recording"'

"If you would like to continue in English please press one"'

I think I am from the USA and I speak English why do I have
to press one to continue in English, But if I am spanish I
Just start talking to them.

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!1

We live in the USA I am not an illegal immegrant!

All this is why politicians have listed "they must learn English" into their requirements for legalizing them. Others are to pay a fine and register for work. This is supposed to please upset Americans as some repercussion for their coming here illegally. The only thing that would please majority is for them to self deport as in AZ, their presence costs tax payers many billions per year to support them in many ways, their criminal level is high and jails prove it, so many problems. Here near L.A. I just ignore or walk away from the constant Spanish spoken knowing this is the very least of the many problems from them.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipper View Post
First of all if you were an American you would know that America is CAPITALIZED!

Every other nationality has wanted to learn English.

A person that speaks a foreign language when others can hear is being very rude. It is the same as farting in church. You have the right to do it, but its wrong.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I'm having so much fun just listening to this thread...

Old 08-23-2011, 07:24 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,586,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipper View Post

At UT Dallas we have all kinds of ethnic groups represented, but I only hear people complaining when hispanics talk. I don't hear angry comments against people from Nigeria, Asian countries, middle easterns, etc. (I'm not saying that jodipper is saying anything against Spanish in particular, it's just a general observation.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Hopefully you are taking a foreign language even though you are not required to do so. I am a strong believer in, and advocate for, foreign language instruction from the earliest years of elementary school through college. I personally speak more languages than I can count on one hand.
That's awesome. Where did you learn so much!

I grew up with my grandparents who owned a company in Chile, so fortunately I'm completely fluent in Spanish. It's been really useful to help at the hospital (I'm a volunteer) because no one else is able to understand the Hispanic patients. (I hate when people come with an attitude demanding someone that understand them, though )

I began learning French but there is a point where you need to start talking and practicing, and I haven't met a lot of French people. I had two years of Latin too.

I like the European style with people fluent in 3 or more languages, but here it seems a bit more difficult because we just don't need it (yet?).

Last edited by DFWgal; 08-23-2011 at 07:34 PM..

Old 08-23-2011, 07:45 PM

888 posts, read 887,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWgal View Post
At UT Dallas we have all kinds of ethnic groups represented, but I only hear people complaining when hispanics talk. I don't hear angry comments against people from Nigeria, Asian countries, middle easterns, etc. (I'm not saying that jodipper is saying anything against Spanish in particular, it's just a general observation.)

I grew up with my grandparents who owned a company in Chile, so fortunately I'm completely fluent in Spanish. It's been really useful to help at the hospital (I'm a volunteer) because no one else is able to understand the Hispanic patients. (I hate when people come with an attitude demanding someone that understand them, though )

I like the European style with people fluent in 3 or more languages, but here it seems a bit more difficult because we just don't need it (yet?).
Good points.
And the last thing we need is allowing the Federal & State Governments telling private businesses what language to speak. If it is a Free Market, people are free to choose a service provider that suits them What happened to Freedom of Choice in this country.
Now it is Freedom from being Offended, even if it is based off of your incredibly irrational, personal, and subjective psycho baggage.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:20 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,160,761 times
An amusing thread, one could well argue that Americans do not speak English, they speak American which is some what different from the mother tongue.

Good grief you do not even have class accents to put people in their proper place in class rankings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration