Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 08:02 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Most 3rd generation+ Hispanics I know are terrible at Spanish.
And terrible in English. I think the language that is spoken in much of the USA is actually a non-language commonly referred to as "Spanglish".

Da me las keys pa' la trocka. Or signs like "se bende la trocka", or mi hermana esta working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 08:06 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,667,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The USA began with the thirteen colonies and Spanish was NOT the language.

This thread itself shows the problem with recent immigration -- these immigrants are never going to learn English for the most part. They really are insisting that the USA is going to become yet another Spanish speaking third world nation.

Pro-illegals contradict themselves all the time, they will one time insist that illegals are coming for their "American Dream" but then they will turn around and insist that like it or not, we'd better get used to speaking Spanish.
Thats why I call it an invasion when they refuse to assimilate, but promote a conquest of their language, flag while denouncing American culture.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:14 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
Americans better get used to evovling language dynamics-----they are not going to change.

Estimates place the United States as being 50% Hispanic by the year 2050 or so----obviously, wishful thinking that the process is going to reversed and simplicity is returning, is not realistic.

A significant percentage of the consumer base in this country is now Hispanic-----for companies not to acknowledge a powerful financial base would be ridiculous.

Being almost 62 now, I at times, also have mixed feelings about the language barriers and about the loss of identity.

Yet, the times they are changing------so either get used to a more mulit---cultural society or dig in the trenches----good luck with your shovels.

Nobody is asking Americans to change their lifestyle or language choices or useage. I have learned some Spanish, but dont use it often.

Live your life as is-----Just be cognizant that changes have occurred and the clock cant be reset.
That assumes we're going to keep the borders wide open and never put any limits on illegal immigration and that the American people will continue to pay illegals to have babies here and that family "sponsors" will continue being let off the hook when it comes to paying for the immigrants they sponsor.

Look at the economy. Illegals aren't coming for jobs because there aren't many jobs. They can only afford to have the largest families here because they aren't expected to pay the bills.

If food stamps were cut off to the children of illegals, then how many children can the illegals afford? If the illegals were expected to pay for their maternity hospital stays, would they keep having baby after baby? They might -- because after all, that's exactly what they have done to their own countries and why their countries are in shambles but at some point, there may be limitations placed on immigration.

If the family sponsors were actually held accountable and had to cough up money for health insurance plans and pick up the grocery and other living expenses for their "loved ones", they might just not bring them in. American welfare programs are on the verge of collapse.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:16 AM

1,574 posts, read 1,019,016 times
Quote:
Pro-illegals contradict themselves all the time, they will one time insist that illegals are coming for their "American Dream" but then they will turn around and insist that like it or not, we'd better get used to speaking Spanish.
I don't think anyone in this thread has insisted that you better get used to speaking spanish.

But what you should get used to is OTHER PEOPLE speaking it. If you don't want to, that's fine with me.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:48 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
That assumes we're going to keep the borders wide open and never put any limits on illegal immigration and that the American people will continue to pay illegals to have babies here and that family "sponsors" will continue being let off the hook when it comes to paying for the immigrants they sponsor.

Look at the economy. Illegals aren't coming for jobs because there aren't many jobs. They can only afford to have the largest families here because they aren't expected to pay the bills.

If food stamps were cut off to the children of illegals, then how many children can the illegals afford? If the illegals were expected to pay for their maternity hospital stays, would they keep having baby after baby? They might -- because after all, that's exactly what they have done to their own countries and why their countries are in shambles but at some point, there may be limitations placed on immigration.

If the family sponsors were actually held accountable and had to cough up money for health insurance plans and pick up the grocery and other living expenses for their "loved ones", they might just not bring them in. American welfare programs are on the verge of collapse.
This x 7476487647454764864848

Old 08-24-2011, 09:19 AM

187 posts, read 181,831 times
[quote=malamute;20587068]That assumes we're going to keep the borders wide open and never put any limits on illegal immigration and that the American people will continue to pay illegals to have babies here and that family "sponsors" will continue being let off the hook when it comes to paying for the immigrants they sponsor.

He is not assuming anything, you are......

Old 08-24-2011, 04:24 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,210,939 times
Quote:
And terrible in English. I think the language that is spoken in much of the USA is actually a non-language commonly referred to as "Spanglish".

Da me las keys pa' la trocka. Or signs like "se bende la trocka", or mi hermana esta working.
Gonna need some cites for 3rd gens being "terrible" in English.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:19 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,490,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Gonna need some cites for 3rd gens being "terrible" in English.
Many USA born Cholos an other Chicanos do sound like they just jumpd the border. My English aint the best. The Asian kids in school blew past me cause I was a punk. A wannabe vato, then I wised up.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:25 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,210,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
Many USA born Cholos an other Chicanos do sound like they just jumpd the border. My English aint the best. The Asian kids in school blew past me cause I was a punk. A wannabe vato, then I wised up.
You being bad at English actually does not count as a citation for the relevant claim.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:51 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Still confused why some have an issue with a couple speaking ( fill in the blank) to each other. I said before and Ill say it again My wife and I speak Thai in public when we want to say something private to each other. Call it rude But this is America after all and Ill speak what ever language I want.
Hispanics speaking spanish. Hmmmm I can think of much worse things they could be doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration