Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 07:57 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,557,297 times

Advertisements

While I thank this Marine for his service to our country, it does not change the fact that he knowingly married an illegal alien. His veteran status does not entitle his wife to violate our laws; nor should she be rewarded with a stay of deportation.

Marine's Wife To Be Deported (http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/041610-marine's-wife-to-be-deported - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 08:07 AM

894 posts, read 1,126,825 times
If he married her, and he's a US citizen -- whether she's illegal or not, she's a citizen by marriage. That's the way it works. Though, I do think there may be some kind of paperwork regarding her "status" ... I'm not sure. I've never married an illegal, so I wouldn't know firsthand.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:18 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,314,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by {geek} View Post
If he married her, and he's a US citizen -- whether she's illegal or not, she's a citizen by marriage. That's the way it works. Though, I do think there may be some kind of paperwork regarding her "status" ... I'm not sure. I've never married an illegal, so I wouldn't know firsthand.
I don't believe that is the way it works. I don't think that an illegal becomes an automatic citizen by virtue of their marriage to a U.S. citizen.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:24 AM

894 posts, read 1,126,825 times
OK, thanks. I wasn't sure about that. Doesn't marrying a US citizen give them some sort of fast track to citizenship or something?

I read a post in here the other day about a Mexican Illegal (actress) and she's married to a US citizen (a pizza guy - LOL) and she's been here for 5 years now. Then some jilted boyfriend busted on her to the police that her marriage was a sham marriage and now she's been arrested.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
No, marriage does not guarantee citizenship. On the other hand, had he been killed while serving our country, she would have been granted citizenship due to a recent law.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:26 AM

157 posts, read 137,239 times
Quote:
No, that's definitely not the case. There was just a big write-up in our local paper about a local couple--the woman is an American and the man is an Italian. The man wasn't even and illegal, but they didn't follow all of the procedures and now he is being denied permanent residency. It's a long story, but proves that you don't get instant citizenship or even legal status just by marrying an American. There is still a procedure to follow and if you don't do it, you can really get crossed up. Again, the guy in the article wasn't even here illegally.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
OK, thanks. I wasn't sure about that. Doesn't marrying a US citizen give them some sort of fast track to citizenship or something?

I read a post in here the other day about a Mexican Illegal (actress) and she's married to a US citizen (a pizza guy - LOL) and she's been here for 5 years now. Then some jilted boyfriend busted on her to the police that her marriage was a sham marriage and now she's been arrested.
I believe it shortens the process; which is the primary reason so many illegals jump at the chance to marry a citizen. They either get married or give birth.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:20 PM

2,205 posts, read 2,535,670 times
They should have waited until she became a legal citizen or he changed his. The laws apply to EVERYONE.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:47 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,418,516 times
If I'm not mistaken, the Marine is a legal resident, not a citizen. If I were him, I would go to Mexico with my family, then come back together if the application process has been properly followed.

This story is further proof that illegals believe they are above the law. I just can understand why they think we should feel sorry for them "tearing their family apart" when they were themselves the architects of their misfortune?

Old 04-19-2010, 04:06 PM

50,246 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
If I'm not mistaken, the Marine is a legal resident, not a citizen. If I were him, I would go to Mexico with my family, then come back together if the application process has been properly followed.

This story is further proof that illegals believe they are above the law. I just can understand why they think we should feel sorry for them "tearing their family apart" when they were themselves the architects of their misfortune?
Typical professional victim mentallity. I had to do it because (insert excuse here).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration