Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support Arizona's 1070 bill?
Yes 193 73.11%
No 66 25.00%
I don't know 5 1.89%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 04:54 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,143,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdencaulfield View Post
You do realize that this bill allows the police to search and arrest legal citizens as well.

Once again, legal citizens can get arrested and thrown in jail

So you support government intervention in private business? What if I own a business and I don't care if my employees don't speak English, so as long as they are legal. Would you force me to fire my employees? Sounds like fascism to me.
You seem to know how police do their jobs. The FACT is police are trained to look for indications for them to investigate. Just being latino isnt an indication, Being a latino who shows up at the ER with no insurance or ability to speak english or provide any information that would show they are established citizens is...yo essay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 04:58 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,140,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
You're 100% right, it's just the lefties looking for another "victim train" to jump on the bandwagon for. That's how they all survive. It's a "host - parasite" type of existence. The illegals and lefties have a symbiotic relationship where they exchange sides between parasite and host depending on which side benefits them the most at the moment.

I am glad this issue is as transparent as crystal to you. I wish everyone could have your clarity.
Unfortunately, you don't have any clarity on your take of the "lefties" as you refer to them. When I read such extremism, I often picture examples of when the opposite ideology could be viewed in the same regard, and in this case, it too can fit that description.

I'm basically on the left and I live in AZ. I fully support this measure precisely because this country shouldn't be the caregiver to the world. If illegals want a better life, they should work to make their home country better instead of coming here and clamoring for rights they didn't earn. I think we have enough mouths to feed, thank you.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:04 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,345,633 times
I wish the law had something to do with border control and security instead of race.

I am against this law.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:06 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,418,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post

I'm basically on the left and I live in AZ. I fully support this measure precisely because this country shouldn't be the caregiver to the world. If illegals want a better life, they should work to make their home country better instead of coming here and clamoring for rights they didn't earn. I think we have enough mouths to feed, thank you.
I lean left and am staunchly against illegal immigration for the fact that I see illegal immigrants as "more mouths to feed that don't belong here" when we should be feeding and helping our OWN poor, and those that we invite.

Taking advantage of the social welfare system provides fodder for those who would see it stripped away. It also shifts resources away from Americans and invited immigrants.

Mexico decrying the AZ law as "Discriminatory" is the biggest joke of all... considering what THEIR immigration and property ownership laws look like! Enough is enough.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:06 PM

412 posts, read 405,205 times
I support it in principle, but I worry that it may be used to justify racial profiling and unfair practices.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:09 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,472,760 times
I have mixed feelings on this. I understand and agree that it has *potential* to be discriminatory in it's application. That is certainly a valid concern. However, since the feds refuse to seal the border (not just this border) something has to be done - the real answer is for the federal gov't to do their job and protect the border. Until then, I certainly understand where Arizona and other border states who are looking at financial ruin (largely based on the expense of illegal immigrants) feel like they must do SOMETHING. It's a tough spot.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:12 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,486,551 times
I don't support it for two reasons.

1. I simply don't believe that police, in practice, are going to use anything but ethnic profiling in order to satisfy the watered down "reasonable suspicion" standard for detention.

2. The abandonment of the "probable cause" standard in favor of the "reasonable suspicion" standard is not something I can support on general principle.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:21 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,778,062 times
Well, I'm Native American, with a lot of 'Mediterranean White' thrown in. So, I look more Mexican than some Mexicans. I look like Amandititita with muscles. And my favorite bands are Mexican Aggrotech groups composed of elite semi-Semitic Mexico City kids who look like me (well, they'd look like me, if I painted myself blue, wore an offcenter Mohawk, and sported a few faux-Cyborg-implants.).

And yeah, I'm mistaken for a rich Mexican, when I'm not being mistaken for a Chinese lady. But I learned, back when I was a poor little Indian Girl, that with Americans, if you're nice, they'll be doubly nice, right back at ya. And even if you're not nice, they'll most likely be more tolerant than they ought to be. Nobody's gonna bundle me off to Tijuana, just because I forgot my Driver's License.

I know when I've got it good, and I know what demographic is responsible for making things good...who generated the wealth and societal organization that funded my college scholarships and every other American luxury (like interstate highways) I've come to enjoy, since I left our little hamlet in the woods behind the swamps.

The less Norse Protestant and more other America becomes, the less miraculously wonderful this country will be. Diluting and replacing the crucial, key, demographic group will be killing The Goose That Lays the Golden Eggs. Bring in enough others, and America will be no better than the rest of the non-European world. Why would I, or any Hispanic American, want that?

So I'm really in the same position as Hispanic Americans. It would be nice if most people looked like me. But the cost of that change would be too great. I'd prefer being an oddity in a wonderful place, to being a typical person in a lousy place. If immigration wrecks the ratio, then we will all suffer. Illegal immigration is wrecking the ratio of whites to others.

It is in the best interest of nonwhite Americans to limit the entry of nonwhites into this country. Cracking down on illegal immigration is the best first place to start.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:25 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,093,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flguy1192 View Post
I am a hispanic (on my Dad's side of the family) and I 100% support this bill. This is something that is FAR overdue, it's about time we did a crackdown to root out illegals and get them out of here. I don't understand why some people are opposed to this. If you're here legally, then you have nothing to worry, but if you're not, you deserved to get arrested and thrown in jail. The next step is to make English the official language and make it a requirement that you know how to speak English to work. The legal people who are "terrified" for their life need to get over themselves, they have nothing to worry about. I honestly don't feel sorry or sympathetic for the illegals AT ALL, they don't deserve to be here.

Just hold on one darn minute! According to the illegal immigrant law-breaking-supporter-left-wingers YOU do not exist.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:25 PM

383 posts, read 222,855 times
Yep I support it 100%!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration