Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support Arizona's 1070 bill?
Yes 193 73.11%
No 66 25.00%
I don't know 5 1.89%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 06:43 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,418,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Can anyone confirm the following?:

The law allows police to ask for papers about their immigration status if they suspect that they’re here illegally, but only if they have been detained for something else or if they have “probable cause to believe that the person has committed any public offense that makes the person removable from the United States.”

... or that

Legal immigrants are already required by FEDERAL LAW to carry their papers at all times?
The new law, doesn't require you to commit a crime, before checking your status.

They can therefore, stop anyone they suspect of being an illegal immigrant, and ask them to prove their citizenship.

If you didn't know, we have a large, domestically born Hispanic population, that doesn't have to carry papers wherever they go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 06:59 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,350,972 times
The law gives law enforcement the authority to stop and question anybody at anytime. The Feds will sue and the law will be off the books within a year.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:04 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,581,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flguy1192 View Post
I am a hispanic (on my Dad's side of the family) and I 100% support this bill. This is something that is FAR overdue, it's about time we did a crackdown to root out illegals and get them out of here. I don't understand why some people are opposed to this. If you're here legally, then you have nothing to worry, but if you're not, you deserved to get arrested and thrown in jail. The next step is to make English the official language and make it a requirement that you know how to speak English to work. The legal people who are "terrified" for their life need to get over themselves, they have nothing to worry about. I honestly don't feel sorry or sympathetic for the illegals AT ALL, they don't deserve to be here.
I'm going to assume you are Cuban.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:06 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,522,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I don't support it for two reasons.

1. I simply don't believe that police, in practice, are going to use anything but ethnic profiling in order to satisfy the watered down "reasonable suspicion" standard for detention.

2. The abandonment of the "probable cause" standard in favor of the "reasonable suspicion" standard is not something I can support on general principle.
I have a good friend that is a LT. on the Phoenix police force. He says that no stops will be made unless laws are broken, speeding, running red light, DUI etc.
Upon a violation stop, you will be asked for drivers license, and then it goes where it leads.
The force absolutely will not allow profiling, and will not stop someone that looks hispanic just to stop them.
I believe him, he is a very strict kind of guy and max integrity.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:17 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,336,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The new law, doesn't require you to commit a crime, before checking your status.

They can therefore, stop anyone they suspect of being an illegal immigrant, and ask them to prove their citizenship.

If you didn't know, we have a large, domestically born Hispanic population, that doesn't have to carry papers wherever they go.
And providing proof of citizenship proves undue hardship how?

How about the undue hardship they are placing on our educational and health care systems? Guess that doesn't matter.

You act like people are going to be subjected to public strip searches, floggings, and outright humiliation.

No harm, no foul in asking a person to show proof that they are actually allowed to legally be in this country and receiving the services afforded to its citizens.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveandwellinSA View Post
I have a good friend that is a LT. on the Phoenix police force. He says that no stops will be made unless laws are broken, speeding, running red light, DUI etc.
Upon a violation stop, you will be asked for drivers license, and then it goes where it leads.
The force absolutely will not allow profiling, and will not stop someone that looks hispanic just to stop them.
I'm sure most of the police in L.A. said they wouldn't beat an unarmed African American with night sticks, until he was bloody, and unconscious.

The problem with the law, is that it allows to much power, without restriction.

Police can, legally now, pull you over if they only suspect you are illegal.

Thats not good.

If the law said that they could run a check on your status, during a traffic stop, or any other infraction, then I wouldn't say a word.

The fact that they can, is what everyone is pissed about. Doesn't mean they are going to, but they can. In my experience, if you give someone the rope, they'll usually hang themselves with it.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
And providing proof of citizenship proves undue hardship how?

How about the undue hardship they are placing on our educational and health care systems? Guess that doesn't matter.

You act like people are going to be subjected to public strip searches, floggings, and outright humiliation.

No harm, no foul in asking a person to show proof that they are actually allowed to legally be in this country and receiving the services afforded to its citizens.
Then require id, when applying for schools, or healthcare.

Don't require it just to walk to the store.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:22 PM

37,155 posts, read 42,274,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveandwellinSA View Post
That is what I understood but if the law doesn't actually say that, and allows for a broader interpretation by rogue cops on a power trip, it ought to be amended. Nothing wrong with amending a law to make it work better.

Regardless of what law is or isn't on the books somewhere, people will still get away with things or be caught doing something wrong. Whether it's illegal immigrants, law enforcement officers, or average citizens. No law , no matter what it says, can prevent bad things from happening.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:23 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,522,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I'm sure most of the police in L.A. said they wouldn't beat an unarmed African American with night sticks, until he was bloody, and unconscious.

The problem with the law, is that it allows to much power, without restriction.

Police can, legally now, pull you over if they only suspect you are illegal.

Thats not good.

If the law said that they could run a check on your status, during a traffic stop, or any other infraction, then I wouldn't say a word.

The fact that they can, is what everyone is pissed about. Doesn't mean they are going to, but they can. In my experience, if you give someone the rope, they'll usually hang themselves with it.
I understand your argument. Is all I am saying the officer I know would never abuse the power. He has been on the Phoenix PD 17 years with most of that time in the streets downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration