Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 04:43 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
EinsteinsGhost: People from foreign countries can now use the license from the country that they are from. Yet that license does not give them any idea about our driving laws. Perhaps foreigners in this country should not be permitted to drive while in the country, and vice versa.

If they are visitors, there's not a need. If they want to become permanent residents, then they can become one, THEN get a license.

Noncitizens should not have a license.
I don't think you understand the implications. These would include students, and workers. People on work permits, and on green card. It could also include aliens who have not acquired a legal resident status yet (for example, those seeking asylum). Tourists and short term business visitors would be fine with their international driver's license (assuming the agencies they deal with approve those).

Like I said, things are not as cut and dry as you assume it to be. And as I said in the earlier post, even changing states or addresses within a state requires you to get a new driver's license. Not doing so is illegal, and certainly not acceptable to many businesses that expect you to have some form of ID.

Another situation. DL is also used extensively to identify a person and his/her age at bars, clubs and similar places. How do you plan on enforcing these requirements based on international DL?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 04:50 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,046 times
Quote:
The grounds are if a crime is being committed, whether they have identification or not. But simply not having identification, and walking down the road, is not a crime.

FACT: I almost never carry identification with me when I leave my house. It stays here.
If you have a DL you really dont need to have it with you to be identified. You DL pictures are in the cops computer.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:00 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
If you have a DL you really dont need to have it with you to be identified. You DL pictures are in the cops computer.
They still ask for it though--even if I'm not carrying it. They give me grief, and I simply say--"But I'm not driving, am I?"

Old 04-28-2010, 05:05 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
he should then be removed from office if he refuses to do his job.
Who needs immigration laws anyway, throw open the borders and close down all our embassy offices overseas. Why? Because a person apprehended by a law enforcement officer, for suspicion of breaking the law, and asking to see their driver's license, or asking a foreign tourist to show their visa, is an invasion of their Constitutional right to conceal their identity from law enforcement. /sarcasm

Old 04-28-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
And sometimes laws are bad and Unconstitutional. And civil disobedience is the appropriate route to go. The sheriff's declaration that he won't enforce this particular law is civil disobedience. He hasn't hidden his actions, he's proclaimed them, and will bear the consequences. Civil disobedience. It has a proud tradition in American history.
A sheriff cannot pick and choose which laws to ignore because of his personal preferences.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:13 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Laws which may be struck down by the courts for being discriminatory wouldn't have to be enforced. And, as we've already said, the cops DO pick and choose--most don't punish swearing in public, loud music, jaywalking, littering, etc., instead of going after real crimes. That is, when they're not simply harassing people for walking down the road at 2 a.m.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:13 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
A sheriff cannot pick and choose which laws to ignore out of his personal preferences.
A sheriff has a duty to ignore laws that are an affront to his moral and ethical beliefs. This law is simply unconscionable to a lot of people that actually are willing to stand by the principles this country was founded on.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:18 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,741,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Agree completely. The police cannot pick and choose what laws they want to enforce. He should be removed from office, pronto.
Well Sheriff Joe did just that when he did his racist raids and neglected thousand of outstanding warrants to sit on his desk.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Laws which may be struck down by the courts for being discriminatory wouldn't have to be enforced. And, as we've already said, the cops DO pick and choose--most don't punish swearing in public, loud music, jaywalking, littering, etc., instead of going after real crimes. That is, when they're not simply harassing people for walking down the road at 2 a.m.
The police use their own discretion, but they do not publicly say that they will refuse to enforce specific laws, and if they do they should leave the police force.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:43 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
He just signed his own pink slip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration