Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 09:54 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,830,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Sorry, I said "businesses, city councils and law enforcement agencies."

Because they understand that the impracticality and expense of actually trying to implement this, the revenue they will lose from business and tourism boycotts, the lost revenue from Mexican citizens coming north to shop which is a huge part of Arizona's economy, will crush our state which is already near the bottom in terms of fiscal health nationally.

Again, "Real World".

( I am not going to respond to the other guy with his wingnut articles that do not cite sources. That just gets old after awhile.)
That assumes you believe the Mexican shoppers won't still shop in Arizona. I believe that's a silly assumption.

Mexican citizens who respect the laws of this country and bothered to obtain valid visas to come and shop really aren't going to have a whole lot of sympathy for lawbreakers who have no respect for our laws.

Or you're doing a whole lot of stereotyping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 09:56 AM

19,888 posts, read 12,177,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Well now, this attitude of yours can help the citizens of Arizona.
All they have to do is provide a nice air conditioned bus at the border and send all illegals to Nevada.
They can pay for the bus and save the billions that your state will have to pay.

Sounds like a plan! Everyone is happy.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:59 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,232,365 times
yes, if the feds are not willing to ensure the border is secure, then it is left up to the states to do the securing of the border.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Why have any police to begin with?
They might offend somebody.
When you are assaulted on the street?
Call somebody else.
At least you won't have to worry about their unchecked power.
I sure would hate to be a police officer these days, you would have to worry about everyone's feelings before you can protect the innocent.
That's a good point also.

If Americans would be given the same rights as the pro-illegals say must be given to illegal foreigners then that means no one can ever have to produce ID's or verify who they are, where they live, if they're citizens or legal residents.

That means no one can be given a ticket - because no one would have to provide a drivers license or any ID. It's not fair just to go after Americans because illegals can never be asked anything.

Already many people find it unfair in many places, illegals can drive without licenses, and of course they aren't expected to buy liability insurance. They don't have to provide ID at hospitals because they aren't expected to pay bills. They can attend our schools without any ID, they can never be asked -- but then why is allowed that American citizens be asked for ID?

Eliminate all police - because if you can't verify someone's identity, you can't arrest them and the police could possibly arrest an illegal by mistake.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:10 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,806,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That assumes you believe the Mexican shoppers won't still shop in Arizona. I believe that's a silly assumption.

Mexican citizens who respect the laws of this country and bothered to obtain valid visas to come and shop really aren't going to have a whole lot of sympathy for lawbreakers who have no respect for our laws.

Or you're doing a whole lot of stereotyping.
Now I'm stereotyping??

The Mexican government has already put out travel advisory's for it's citizens about going into Arizona. Universities in Mexico are telling their students not to transfer to Arizona schools for fear of harassment. They are staging local protests along the border urgong commercial boycotts. The Mexican government is considering formal trade sanctions. California is also considering trade sanctions. Boulder Colorado just banned official travel to Arizona.

It is just starting and will snowball. Wake up and smell the coffee.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:13 AM

64 posts, read 33,321 times
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yss.
Repeat.

Wooster

Old 05-09-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Now I'm stereotyping??

The Mexican government has already put out travel advisory's for it's citizens about going into Arizona. Universities in Mexico are telling their students not to transfer to Arizona schools for fear of harassment. They are staging local protests along the border urgong commercial boycotts. The Mexican government is considering formal trade sanctions. California is also considering trade sanctions. Boulder Colorado just banned official travel to Arizona.

It is just starting and will snowball. Wake up and smell the coffee.
I think you are stereotyping.

You think all Mexicans believe so much in their government, a government that is incapable of stopping border violence which is hurting their own tourism, and will follow robotically to each and all of it's commands.

You're claiming that people who have so much respect for their own government that they'll do everything it tells them, can have no respect for the laws of the USA.

I actually think it would be better for Mexicans to support their own economy -- which is really hurting from lack of tourist dollars -- but I don't really see that happening as long as our Walmarts have better deals on cheap imports from China than their own Walmarts have.

With the majority of Americans supporting the law, these boycotts aren't going to go far.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:08 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,381,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

With the majority of Americans supporting the law, these boycotts aren't going to go far.
Don't be so sure. It never pays to underestimate the power of hatred, enthusiastically sanctioned by the MSM, toward a group which is it safe to attack without fear of reprisals.

As a corollary, remember that no one ever went broke betting on the essential stupidity of the American people.

I mean what the hell: Manhattan doesn't have a border with Mexico. So screw those racists in Arizona...

Old 05-09-2010, 11:32 AM

383 posts, read 643,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Everyone is avoiding Arizona, the impact is already in the tens of millions. Soon we'll lose major league sports. The hotel industry is crashing

Really? What are you smoking...care to share? You don't even know where you live, as Sierra Vista is NOT A BORDER CITY! Now with regards to the hotels/service industry crashing...I'm not seeing it. I have a dog show in Lakeside in two weeks...they are fully booked, I put my reservations in two months ago...oh and guess what, when I spoke with the lodge yesterday...nope no cancellations. Oh and by the way...this isn't a small dog show, they come from all States, including CA, New Mexico, and Texas.

Oh and can you back up your opinions with links? Thanks

Last edited by wfurm; 05-09-2010 at 12:06 PM..

Old 05-09-2010, 11:33 AM

241 posts, read 267,957 times
Nope..I dont' support a law that can ask American citizens for "papers" just based on the way they look. And cops can have "reasonable suspicion" about pretty much anything now after the Patriot Act.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration