Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 03:58 PM

17,523 posts, read 24,772,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
For the umpteenth time no one is going to be asked for papers based on the way they look!!!! Did you even read the bill?
No they will be stopped on some pretext, like doing 65 in a 65, something my son was recently stopped for. He's not Mexican but appears to be one.
They will be harrassed and arrested while """Real Americans""" are not.

I live here, do you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 04:05 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,811,663 times
[quote=chicagonut;14103802]Obviously the state of Arizona has weighted the positives vs the negatives in implementing this law. Why do you feel you need to know all the details? And what makes you think that those of us who don't even live in Arizona would be given those details? QUOTE]

No, obviously the state politicians reacted in a knee jerk reaction whoring for votes, while most City leaders, law enforcement and Business leaders across the state are opposed to it.

I understand it may not impact somebody living in Chicago.

Why do I want to know the details, because I live in Arizona and will end up paying the consequences. The fact nobody knows what the details are because nobody has bothered to think them through yet concerns me.

Or maybe I am just "panicking".

Old 05-09-2010, 04:50 PM

10,049 posts, read 9,564,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
This is all about racial profiling. How many people from Sweden do you think will be pulled over ?
This bill will also cost Arizonans a fortune and rightfully so...in more ways than one.
Depends on how many swedes break the motor vehicle laws.

It's so funny that people continue this knee-kerk reaction when they have never read the law and only go by what they hear on the news.

If the police stop someone for violating a vehicle law, they will ask for ID and determine their identity. If they do not have one they will then run the persons info in the database to determine their identity. If someone gives them false info for any numerous reasons, the officer is certainly going to investigate further to determine the reason, (such as having an outstanding warrant or being an illegal alien) and act accordingly.

Old 05-09-2010, 04:51 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,358,555 times
[quote=bily4;14103888]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Obviously the state of Arizona has weighted the positives vs the negatives in implementing this law. Why do you feel you need to know all the details? And what makes you think that those of us who don't even live in Arizona would be given those details? QUOTE]

No, obviously the state politicians reacted in a knee jerk reaction whoring for votes, while most City leaders, law enforcement and Business leaders across the state are opposed to it.

I understand it may not impact somebody living in Chicago.

Why do I want to know the details, because I live in Arizona and will end up paying the consequences. The fact nobody knows what the details are because nobody has bothered to think them through yet concerns me.

Or maybe I am just "panicking".
No, it isn't obvious that the state politicians were whoring for votes. That is only your opinion. Since Arizona has a high number of Latino citizens and they mostly oppose this bill how would that be whoring for votes?

If you want to know the details about the costs vs the outcome why ask anyone in here? Why don't you ask the governor and those that passed the bill? You have already made up your mind that the costs are more than any positive outcome anyway.

Old 05-09-2010, 04:57 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,358,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
No they will be stopped on some pretext, like doing 65 in a 65, something my son was recently stopped for. He's not Mexican but appears to be one.

I live here, do you?
No, I don't live in Arizona but I live in the one most infested with illegal aliens and that is Calif. There are good cops and there are bad cops that don't follow policy but most cops are honest and follow the laws. Should we not make any laws and dismantle all LE agencies just because there are "some" bad cops? Eventually these bad cops get caught and they get their just dues and that is the best we can expect. In the meantime we have to take care of business if we are to remain a nation of laws.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:10 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,872,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Depends on how many swedes break the motor vehicle laws.

It's so funny that people continue this knee-kerk reaction when they have never read the law and only go by what they hear on the news.

If the police stop someone for violating a vehicle law, they will ask for ID and determine their identity. If they do not have one they will then run the persons info in the database to determine their identity. If someone gives them false info for any numerous reasons, the officer is certainly going to investigate further to determine the reason, (such as having an outstanding warrant or being an illegal alien) and act accordingly.
That's right. If a person from Sweden, Russia, Poland, or Ireland breaks the law, they will be expected to provide the officer with ID. If they don't have it, the officer will investigate. American citizens have to provide an officer with ID anytime they are pulled over. I got pulled over for a burned out headlight and had to show my ID. No big deal.

What I am seeing is not that this law is racist, but people want to use race as an excuse to break the law. The illegal immigrants in AZ and the pro-illegal liberals want to accuse this law of being racist so the illegals can continue breaking our laws.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:39 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,905,024 times
Quote:

I live here, do you?
Uhhh....how old was your son? I'm pretty sure that was more likely age profiling. Police are famous for stopping teens and youthful looking boys and men for anything.

Some hispanic cop followed my teen son driving a mustang convertible (age 16) 5.0 engine. He was careful not to go over the speed limit, he would turn a corner, the cop would turn. He carefully signaled, obeyed every rule of the road. Finally the cop put on the lights for him to pull over - so he did. The cop checked his drivers license, insurance, asked him what he was doing when he was over on such a such street. The first question asked though was "Whose car is this" and when he answered "my dad's" the cop (again hispanic cop) replied "good answer".

It's just something they're going to do all youths no matter what they look like but especially in certain cars. It doesn't bother me at all - it's better for my teen boys to realize the cops are looking for them.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:51 PM

752 posts, read 1,466,809 times
Quote:

I live here, do you?
they cant arrest you on a traffic stop if you are legal...doesn't matter what color you are.
You may want to talk to someone about your paranoid delusions.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:02 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,861,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
I fully support Arizona. In fact I think their laws are not strict enough. The illegal immigrant population is destroying this country and filling it with an ungrateful and seditious citizenry at our expense. The people who immigrate legally have a stake in this country. The criminals illegal population have none.
That's the way I feel too.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:03 PM

21,116 posts, read 42,241,814 times
Quote:
Prove it, a Drivers License doesn't prove Citizenship and there is no picture on your Social Security card
In the eyes of LE here: at least an Arizona DL is acceptable----------barring aggravating circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration