Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 12:52 AM

358 posts, read 395,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Thanks for the advice but you still don't seem to understand that majority rules in a democracy. If who & what you vote for always lose then it is time to realize that maybe you are the one out of sync! You just pointed out the obvious, that California is a liberal state because the liberal voters elect liberal representatives. Just like conservative states elect Republicans. BTW Latinos are not 50% Democratic [74% voted for Obama in California and even higher percentages in New Jersey and Nevada].
I never said that California was not a blue state- nor did I say WHO I vote for, while I do associate with the Independent party I am a ticket splitter- so can you please STOP making false assumptions? once again READ what I WROTE, UNDERSTAND IT, THEN COMMENT. I was simply pointing out that the boycotting cities you were talking about have a huge Democrat base, well over 60% of Democrats in California, AND they also hold very large Latino communities. When I spoke of Californians not all being Left wing Illegal Immigrant lovers in support of the boycott, I was referring to the many many taxpaying VOTING people in California that do not live in San Diego, Los Angeles, San Fransisco. You know.. depending on what survey you go off of 50% or so of Democrats are in favor of SB1070, how about that? and just to clarify there is more than Left wingers in the Democratic party- did you ever think of that?? I could go on all day but obviously you would rather make false assumptions and take what I say out of context, so there really is no point..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 01:33 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,396,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman82 View Post
I never said that California was not a blue state- nor did I say WHO I vote for, while I do associate with the Independent party I am a ticket splitter- so can you please STOP making false assumptions? once again READ what I WROTE, UNDERSTAND IT, THEN COMMENT. I was simply pointing out that the boycotting cities you were talking about have a huge Democrat base, well over 60% of Democrats in California, AND they also hold very large Latino communities. When I spoke of Californians not all being Left wing Illegal Immigrant lovers in support of the boycott, I was referring to the many many taxpaying VOTING people in California that do not live in San Diego, Los Angeles, San Fransisco. You know.. depending on what survey you go off of 50% or so of Democrats are in favor of SB1070, how about that? and just to clarify there is more than Left wingers in the Democratic party- did you ever think of that?? I could go on all day but obviously you would rather make false assumptions and take what I say out of context, so there really is no point..
Practice what you preach. Remember this line?:
Quote:
I was talking about Left wing liberals- you are NOT mainstream California.
I am much more typical Californian than you are since Democrats own the state. And why do they? Because the majority of Californians vote Democratic\ Liberal. You can try to spin it anyway you like but that doesn't mean its true. Voting results are the hard truth. And yes I am aware that there are Democrats who are concerned about the border. In-fact most Democrats want better border control. The issue is the Arizona law and how that only worsens the problem. Case-in-point: boycotts being called against Arizona from many American cities and the number of cities continues to grow. Why is that?

Old 05-20-2010, 01:39 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,619,498 times
Quote:
How's Arizona doing on their budget this year? I understand they can't even afford to open the public swimming pools in Phoenix this summer. The governor of Arizona is pleading with cities around the nation to not join the boycott. Arizona can not afford to lose revenue.
Arizona's budget situation is very similar to California's and Nevada's.

The only reason why Arizona is not in the hole for as much money as California is, is because Arizona's population is much smaller, and thus its total budget is smaller.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:54 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,833,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
How PATRIOTIC of you to wish harm on another State in AMERICA.BTW Arizona is not casting judgements on other States it realizes it's supposed to be the UNITED STATES not the DIVIDED STATES.You can disagree with the law but to seek to financially harm another State and hurt it's citizens is WRONG and VERY un American.
AZ has brought this to itself. It has managed to alienate a lot of people, and a hefty chunk of its own population. Assuming a half million illegal immigrants, and about the same number of people having familial ties to them (a guess, not sure if that is an accurate number), we're talking 15-20% of Arizona's population who contribute to the economy.

If AZ does succeed in sending every one of the illegal immigrant out of its borders, and not lose its legal residents (out of frustration of having to live in a fascist political landscape), we're talking 8-10% of the people who won't be paying sales tax, other taxes and supporting businesses. AZ had a projected deficit of about 33% of its budget this year. See it grow, businesses stumble and disappear (and the domino effect that would go with it).

Cities from other states choosing to boycott AZ is far less of an issue than the hole AZ is digging for itself. Oh, and discouraging tourism too.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:11 AM

4,814 posts, read 3,846,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
You know what is funny about this poll and some (most) of the reporting on the NEWS stations (like NBC ABC CBS here in CA) is that it is based on false (and somtimes intentional) misinformation. AZ never threatened anything. They only were calling out CA's bluff to boycot AZ. The lettter was very clear (which most of these news hacks did not bother to read) - basically if you (CA) want to boycot AZ we would be happy to help you and renigotiate your energy contracts. The person who wrote the letter does not have unilateral power to turn off or pull the plug even if that is what he said - and it was not. And now MSNBC (trying to generate more hatred against AZ based on this misinformation gets a poll result that supports the question.

These leftist don't read the AZ bill and now they can't even read a simply letter. Talk about BS propaganda spreading to the idiots on the left who rail against AZ and those who want the law upheld - funny indeed. I love how they falsly generate a headline then immediately go out on the streets and ask a question as if they are being neutral and unbiased.
You are right. I heard Gov. Brewer, yesterday, laugh about the letter, because it is funny, but she said that she wouldn't support such a measure.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:48 AM

8,630 posts, read 10,161,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
AZ has brought this to itself. It has managed to alienate a lot of people, and a hefty chunk of its own population. Assuming a half million illegal immigrants, and about the same number of people having familial ties to them (a guess, not sure if that is an accurate number), we're talking 15-20% of Arizona's population who contribute to the economy.

If AZ does succeed in sending every one of the illegal immigrant out of its borders, and not lose its legal residents (out of frustration of having to live in a fascist political landscape), we're talking 8-10% of the people who won't be paying sales tax, other taxes and supporting businesses. AZ had a projected deficit of about 33% of its budget this year. See it grow, businesses stumble and disappear (and the domino effect that would go with it).

Cities from other states choosing to boycott AZ is far less of an issue than the hole AZ is digging for itself. Oh, and discouraging tourism too.
Yawn.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:56 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,325,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post

Arizona will come out ahead in the long run. There is an upfront price in retaining this country as a nation for the rule of law but the long term benefits are astronomical. Just think what our nation would be like if we didn't enforce any of our laws and criminals were allowed to run amok. Yes, law enforcement is costly but it is a necessary evil.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:14 AM

358 posts, read 395,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman82 View Post
The whole point of the statement the Arizona power official was trying to make was this.. if you really want to boycott private business in Arizona then s**t or get off the pot, in other terms either really boycott us or don't do it at all. Of course LA is not stupid enough to pull the plug.. so the city council is selectively boycotting Arizona.. which makes the Los Angeles city council look like fools. I apologize for all of the leftist idiots in California- but trust me those are mostly the overeducated and poor classes of people- they DO NOT represent mainstream Californians !!
Quote:
Practice what you preach. Remember this line?: I am much more typical Californian than you are since Democrats own the state. And why do they? Because the majority of Californians vote Democratic\ Liberal. You can try to spin it anyway you like but that doesn't mean its true. Voting results are the hard truth. And yes I am aware that there are Democrats who are concerned about the border. In-fact most Democrats want better border control. The issue is the Arizona law and how that only worsens the problem. Case-in-point: boycotts being called against Arizona from many American cities and the number of cities continues to grow. Why is that?
Ok. Here we go again. We are talking about the SB 1070 immigration issue, which Democrats are split on the issue. When I was talking about mainstream Californians I was referring to people NOT against the Illegal Immigration issue (SB 1070), those people are from ALL political parties, which includes half of the Democratic party. The Leftist Idiots are the far left opposing the SB 1070 bill- I was addressing That particular group of people, not you specifically. Apparently I was correct on that point anyhow, go figure. On the issue of cities boycotting Arizona: "According to an article in Newsmax.com on May 5, 2010, there are now twelve states that are considering following the action in Arizona" Huh.. so much for your handful of boycotting cities, more STATES are looking into enacting the same type law! not to mention there are ALOT of national groups considering boycotting California. I am willing to bet.. we put that on the ballot in California it will pass by a slim margin. 31% of Hispanics voted FOR prop 187, Prop. 187 Approved in California - Migration News | Migration Dialogue
and that law was very tough on Illegal Immigrants. Your logic is skewed, you are only seeing what you want. Financially Arizona (in my opinion) will be BETTER off with SB 1070, Arizona spends 1.3 billion dollars (I have seen that number well over 2 billion as well) every year on education, medical and incarceration of Illegal Immigrants. The 90 million they might lose from a boycott is NOTHING compared to the savings. An LA Times poll showed the MAJORITY of readers were overwhelmingly against the boycott, 97%!! LA Times Downplays Overwhelming Result of Own Online Poll on Arizona Boycott | NewsBusters.org so now, where are your numbers? everything I have stated not as an opinion I can back up- how about you? Would you like to continue taking me out of context? or making false assumptions? or are you going to actually give me some proof here? so far you told me 75% of Hispanics are Democrats.. I didnt verify but will take your word on it. Is there anything else? can you show me ANYTHING to prove the majority, or mainstream Californians are in support of the boycott? or against SB 1070? and the city councils passing weak resolutions do not count, they are outside their pay grade and have no right. Elected by the people, to serve the CITY, not be involved in other states affairs.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:58 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,998,873 times
Arizona sticking to their guns, I like it!

Old 05-20-2010, 04:06 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,833,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Arizona will come out ahead in the long run. There is an upfront price in retaining this country as a nation for the rule of law but the long term benefits are astronomical. Just think what our nation would be like if we didn't enforce any of our laws and criminals were allowed to run amok. Yes, law enforcement is costly but it is a necessary evil.
Lets talk about it then. How are things today, and tomorrow, before we talk about a few years down the road? Rosy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration