Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2012, 03:29 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times

Advertisements

Forbes ranks Springfield #3 and Rockford #10 as two of the most dangerous cities in America. Particularly amusing is the assertions that I-39 and proximity to Chicago is the principle cause of its high crime rate.

#1 Detroit, Mich. - John Giuffo - Forbes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 04:02 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,407,718 times
This list is old (originally from 2011), and a number of officials in Springfield have questioned the ranking. In fact, the article itself can't quite understand it:

"The city also confounds analysts who try to interpret its relatively high crime rate."

This morning there was an article in the SJ-R about it, and how Springfield isn't on other top 10 lists:

Springfield trumpets absence from 'most-dangerous cities' list - Springfield, IL - The State Journal-Register

Old 06-14-2012, 06:55 PM

There are two things I am sure of: If Springfield was that dangerous it would be a topic from border to border. It would not be a comment in a rag like Forbes.

Secondly I had previous conversation with Forbe's Editor before about content. He admitted the compilers and writer have never set foot in most of the places they list and no personal knowledge of the areas. He admitted the magazine compile from various unnamed sources. Before I talked to this person I was under the impression they gathered data from credible sources like NIU and Bradley U does. Apparently they do not. There is a word in the publishing industry that was used in the 30s and 40s to disassociate from publishers of flamboyant or scandalous misleading content. I wish I could I could remember the word.

As an aside, I looked today at Forbes best places to retire. The single comment that tickled my funny bone was the writer who called southwestern border cities a "warm climate". One only has to visit Phoenix, Las Cruces, El Paso or Palm Springs in July once to truly appreciate a "warm" climate in the desert.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:05 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,407,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post

Secondly I had previous conversation with Forbe's Editor before about content. He admitted the compilers and writer have never set foot in most of the places they list and no personal knowledge of the areas. He admitted the magazine compile from various unnamed sources. Before I talked to this person I was under the impression they gathered data from credible sources like NIU and Bradley U does. Apparently they do not. There is a word in the publishing industry that was used in the 30s and 40s to disassociate from publishers of flamboyant or scandalous misleading content. I wish I could I could remember the word.
Interesting! You'd think they would have to have credible sources for the stuff they report.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:32 AM

Forbes does not reveal all sources, but considering I read the articles in s-j yesterday my opinion is that any Wiki, and blogs in general, are not terribly credible sources of accurate information. There are exceptions. Political blogs for instance are more likely to cite sources that are credible. Universities site sources. We do not have to like the data or the conclusion reached, but we can't generally fault the source.

When well regarded print media resort to questionable content to sell copy it crosses the line between what is considered acceptable content and muckraking.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:18 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,104,516 times
Forbes is spot on for not liking Illinois.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:39 PM

103 posts, read 159,679 times
I noticed this when reading the list as well. The "best of" lists are simply click bait to get advertising revenue. Notice how you can't see the entire list on one page. You need to click "next" to see each city. Naturally, a different ad will ring up as a "view". To hell with accuracy when you can make up stuff and fatten the bottom line with a lot less work.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
There are two things I am sure of: If Springfield was that dangerous it would be a topic from border to border. It would not be a comment in a rag like Forbes.

As an aside, I looked today at Forbes best places to retire. The single comment that tickled my funny bone was the writer who called southwestern border cities a "warm climate". One only has to visit Phoenix, Las Cruces, El Paso or Palm Springs in July once to truly appreciate a "warm" climate in the desert.

LOL,

A warm climate at this rate will be located somewhere in the middle of Minnesota!
(year round)

I read a report today Bakersfield, CA will enjoy 90 days of tems over 95 degrees.
July 4th paper Chicago Tribune(named source)

The desert cities of the SW are going to become nothing but scorched land that is no place for man , woman or child.
I just cant imagine the demand these places will have on water in the near future and exactly where they plan to get the water.

On topic it sure does not surprise me Forbes is all about the click and the $$$ it generates for their pockets.

I wonder if Forbes realizes what a joke of a publication they have become.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:27 AM

I am not sure if you are aware of this or not. Cities can and do recycle (this is not the word for the actual process) waste water and redistribute it as household water. Saltwater can be converted to fresh water too. None of this is a new concept,and some is has been in practice for years. The ocean cities could be building water processing plants instead of whining about it. Yes it takes a great deal of money, but, do you want water or not? It is a simple question. Salt to fresh water can also be sold.

The native plant life in desert states do not require as much water in one life time as one small lawn does in one season. Limited water use is why you often find small patches of grass between sidewalks and houses in the SW.
Las Cruses has specific watering days each week throughout the city for the summer. These are the only days the pecan groves and lawns are watered. .

Last year Dallas Texas area had well over 100 consecutive days of greater than 100 degree temperatures. Bakersfield is more of a desert city. These are normal temperatures... just as the high 90's and over are common in central Illinois cities surrounded by cornfields. A dry 100 degrees is not nearly as miserable as a humid 100.

One other thing. "Swamp coolers" are not nearly as efficient as air conditioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
LOL,

A warm climate at this rate will be located somewhere in the middle of Minnesota!
(year round)

I read a report today Bakersfield, CA will enjoy 90 days of tems over 95 degrees.
July 4th paper Chicago Tribune(named source)

The desert cities of the SW are going to become nothing but scorched land that is no place for man , woman or child.
I just cant imagine the demand these places will have on water in the near future and exactly where they plan to get the water.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:32 AM

Valid points it is important to note even though Bakersfield is in the desert
the climate average is still only at 55 days a year above 90.

The Tribune article was just an opinion and only projections- however they had projected a possibility of
95 degree days to climb to over 90 days in a year that to me is remarkable.

That is a very large average increase not only in a 5 degree temperature swing but the amount of days.

This was a huge difference and that is what initially captured my attention.

55 days to 90 and they are averages so you will have naturally hotter days and of course cooler days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois