Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 01:44 PM

768 posts, read 858,678 times

Advertisements

So, wasn't the beginning of all this..."people are leaving Illinois second only to New Jersey?" Who cares where they are going...they are just leaving and if you had the opportunity, why in the world wouldn't you leave this state? I was born here, lived in California for 15 years, returned for a job and have been here ever since. I moved 18 times in 25 years so am familiar with that as well. Illinois is pretty backward when compared to other states and you pay dearly for the corruption and the idiocy. I am planning my exodus from Illinois very soon.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:58 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,259,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKrause1 View Post
So, wasn't the beginning of all this..."people are leaving Illinois second only to New Jersey?" Who cares where they are going...they are just leaving and if you had the opportunity, why in the world wouldn't you leave this state? I was born here, lived in California for 15 years, returned for a job and have been here ever since. I moved 18 times in 25 years so am familiar with that as well. Illinois is pretty backward when compared to other states and you pay dearly for the corruption and the idiocy. I am planning my exodus from Illinois very soon.
When you do, I hope you will outline the pluses and minuses of where you moved to. Information like that is often more relevant and informing than broad brushed generalizations.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:57 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,511,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKrause1 View Post
Indiana welcomes you with open arms
Mike Pence is going to cut our income tax rate by 10% soon.
Hmm if only Illinois would learn from its neighbors.
Guess that 66% increase in state income taxes is sure paying off for Illinois and its citizens.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:09 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,089,959 times
I wish there was more depth to this study like who and why...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
And everyone of them is welcomed in Indiana
Low taxes/low cost of living and real estate
Fiscally sound state.
5th best business climate in the country and 1st in the midwest.
over 30 major businesses have moved to Indiana from Illinois in the past 1.5 years since the tax hike
Indianapolis is the fastest growing city in the midwest. Good chunk of that growth comes from Illinois and Michigan.
oh did i mention our state continues to create a record number of jobs? more and more people are finding out you can get a job in Indiana as opposed to Illinois.
For Truck drivers Indiana is within a days drive to 80% of the US population.
Hoosier Hospitality.
Finally the most Successful Super Bowl was held in Indianapolis. Indy is bidding again for Super Bowl 52 and Chicago has yet to host a Super Bowl. let alone a successful one.
I'll pass on Indiana. If I leave Illinois, which I am thinking about doing, I'd go to Washington state, the Seattle area, or Colorado, the Denver area...

Old 01-26-2013, 12:57 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,582,897 times
Hey good news! I keep thinking of moving out of Chicago when i retire, due to the various things I do not like about chicago- namely politics and crime and the preference of living in a quaint town one day. I like a small town, like when i go visiting them in other places. If I were to move due to not to hot weather (that leaves out TN) I think the area around Evansville, Springfield (IL) or Indianapolis would be great! I visited Indy a couple of times, nice suburban feel. I would go to Indy too. Seems like a nice place and the weather is not as hot and intolerable as further south. One major reason I'm living in Chicago is i have a wonderful job. I like the states surrounding Illinois.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:34 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,254,914 times
Small towns can be defined by many things. Mostly it is a lack of services and not much offered in the way of entertainment. The County Seat is generally where the most and best is available. Lincoln in Logan County is about half-way between Bloomington and Springfield. You will find Amtrak, I-55, hospital and doctors, bowling, golf, theater, restaurants, annual events, familiar places like Kroger and Steak N' Shake. It is a nifty little city named after Lincoln before he became President. He was still a Circuit Rider. Lincoln has traditionally had some of the cheapest gasoline prices in central Illinois.

If you like boating, and all things water, then you might look at Mason County. The County Seat at Havana offers all that Lincoln does plus a swmmin' hole. The downside is it is much smaller than Lincoln and the distance to larger city services is greater. However if you like the charm of brick streets and and old fashioned street lights you may be pleasantly surprised.

In both towns it is is easy enough to find a one bedroom home in a nice neighborhood for well under $100,000 that has reasonable real estate taxes.

You might also like Eureka, the Woodford County Seat. It's home to Eureka College, a Top 25 ranked Liberal Arts school, Eureka Lake, etc.. It is located mid-way between Bloomington and Peoria. The other town in Woodford County you might like is Metamora Lincoln handled 70 cased there including murder and slavery. It is closer to Germantown Hills and Washington that it is to Peoria.

Peoria Heights is also quaint, but it is expensive and it is surrounded by the City of Peoria. Washington is an nice community, too, but its really too big to be considered quaint any longer. It is midway between Eureka and East Peoria on US 24. Neither of these towns are county seats and both are served by the same utility companies.

I cannot think of any other towns say between Peoria and Springfield that I consider quaint that you might like. These are all smaller towns that don't have big city issues, and the taxes are generally more reasonable.

Living in any county is always cheaper with lower taxes. The trade off is no city services when you need it. The other trade off is if you are a big fan of Trader Joe's and Whole Foods you can't find it except in Cook County and St. Louis, but there is a Costco near Peoria. If you live in Springfield and you want Costco you will drive 90 miles - even if you know the back roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I like a small town, like when i go visiting them in other places. I think the area around Springfield (IL) would be great!

Old 01-27-2013, 08:01 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,582,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Small towns can be defined by many things. Mostly it is a lack of services and not much offered in the way of entertainment. The County Seat is generally where the most and best is available. Lincoln in Logan County is about half-way between Bloomington and Springfield. You will find Amtrak, I-55, hospital and doctors, bowling, golf, theater, restaurants, annual events, familiar places like Kroger and Steak N' Shake. It is a nifty little city named after Lincoln before he became President. He was still a Circuit Rider. Lincoln has traditionally had some of the cheapest gasoline prices in central Illinois.

If you like boating, and all things water, then you might look at Mason County. The County Seat at Havana offers all that Lincoln does plus a swmmin' hole. The downside is it is much smaller than Lincoln and the distance to larger city services is greater. However if you like the charm of brick streets and and old fashioned street lights you may be pleasantly surprised.

In both towns it is is easy enough to find a one bedroom home in a nice neighborhood for well under $100,000 that has reasonable real estate taxes.

You might also like Eureka, the Woodford County Seat. It's home to Eureka College, a Top 25 ranked Liberal Arts school, Eureka Lake, etc.. It is located mid-way between Bloomington and Peoria. The other town in Woodford County you might like is Metamora Lincoln handled 70 cased there including murder and slavery. It is closer to Germantown Hills and Washington that it is to Peoria.

Peoria Heights is also quaint, but it is expensive and it is surrounded by the City of Peoria. Washington is an nice community, too, but its really too big to be considered quaint any longer. It is midway between Eureka and East Peoria on US 24. Neither of these towns are county seats and both are served by the same utility companies.

I cannot think of any other towns say between Peoria and Springfield that I consider quaint that you might like. These are all smaller towns that don't have big city issues, and the taxes are generally more reasonable.

Living in any county is always cheaper with lower taxes. The trade off is no city services when you need it. The other trade off is if you are a big fan of Trader Joe's and Whole Foods you can't find it except in Cook County and St. Louis, but there is a Costco near Peoria. If you live in Springfield and you want Costco you will drive 90 miles - even if you know the back roads.
Hey wow thank you! we like traveling on quick trips (1-2 days) to see some sites.. I now remember Lincoln when we were on the way to Springfield, and we were stopping off to go take a break from the expressway.. We went to a place that was like a little store, and the lady pointed out that was on Route 66, and I remember that if I had gone down this one road, I could have toured Lincoln! yay! so i was there this past summer.. I may have to go back now again and see it some more.

I have found that visiting small towns - the people are nice, prices are lower, interesting scenery to see, like even viewing the Mississippi River is wonderful! going to the Dunes are wonderful! simple and wonderful. I'm over my partying days - which really I didn't do much of - but I'd love to live in a smaller town with a few basic stores and a lake too would be nice. I'm going to check out some of those places you mentioned! Thank you

Old 01-27-2013, 09:44 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,267,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublenickels View Post
...more people leaving Illinois, than any other state except New Jersey...

More people moving out of Illinois | abc7chicago.com

No kidding.

When I retire in the next five years or so, I will leave Illinois.

Part of it might be the climate. I am tired of the cold weather.

However, much of it is the ever increasing tax burden - my property taxes have increased substantially. The state income tax is up 67% and will be heading even higher until the state addresses its pension liability issues.

Everybody considers the cost of living in Illinois to be reasonable. That maybe the case in downstate counties but life in Chicagoland is NOT.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:45 PM

106 posts, read 157,540 times
Yet my sisters and mother want to move back because they are homesick. No thanks, i'll stay behind.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:32 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,578,779 times
To each his own. I can't imagine ever leaving Chicago unless a can't miss job opportunity arose, or perhaps a family-related issue. This city is just so damn awesome.

And best of luck to everyone who's leaving. I certainly don't begrudge them for seeking out/entering new opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois