Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 10:11 AM

31 posts, read 75,729 times

Advertisements

What is the deal?

Kankakee is only about 60 miles away from Chicago. The people in Kankakee think they are southern people. Even though Kankakee is located in Northern Illinois, the people in Kankakee you swear were from Southern Illinois or Kentucky.

What is the deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 01:32 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsandStripes79 View Post
What is the deal?

Kankakee is only about 60 miles away from Chicago. The people in Kankakee think they are southern people. Even though Kankakee is located in Northern Illinois, the people in Kankakee you swear were from Southern Illinois or Kentucky.

What is the deal?
What is the deal with you labeling them southern people? What examples do you have and what constitutes southern people? If you want a more southern accent and slower pace, IMO it doesn't start until Effingham.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:38 PM

31 posts, read 75,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
What is the deal with you labeling them southern people? What examples do you have and what constitutes southern people? If you want a more southern accent and slower pace, IMO it doesn't start until Effingham.
Many of the people that grew up in Kankakee, especially the older people, never have been to Chicago.

Ever drive around Kankakee county? I have and people actually have confederate flags in their front yard for decoration. Ever walk into a bar in Kankakee County? You will find the Country music channel playing or country music playing on the juke box. You know what the beer of choice is in Kankakee County? Busch light. People in Kankakee county love driving pick up trucks, watch nascar, and there are many who have bumper stickers that you find to relate to southern culture. One woman told me she was a southern girl. She was raised in Kankakee her entire life and so were her parents. If you go to a bar in Kankakee the female bartenders will say Ya'll insted of you guys.

Need I go on?

Old 01-10-2013, 02:06 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,850,289 times
Quote:

Need I go on?
Please do.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:12 PM

5,462 posts, read 8,180,020 times
Quote:
What is the deal?

Kankakee is only about 60 miles away from Chicago. The people in Kankakee think they are southern people.
Which ones?:

Old 01-10-2013, 07:28 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Quote:
Ever drive around Kankakee county? I have and people actually have confederate flags in their front yard for decoration. Ever walk into a bar in Kankakee County? You will find the Country music channel playing or country music playing on the juke box. You know what the beer of choice is in Kankakee County? Busch light. People in Kankakee county love driving pick up trucks, watch nascar, and there are many who have bumper stickers that you find to relate to southern culture. One woman told me she was a southern girl. She was raised in Kankakee her entire life and so were her parents. If you go to a bar in Kankakee the female bartenders will say Ya'll insted of you guys.

Need I go on?
Ever been to ... white, rural America? Seriously, people from rural Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Iowa, Indiana, even places in Minnesota drive pick-up trucks, watch Nascar, listen to country music. The first time I rode with my partner's sister, she was listening to "Redneck Woman" in her car, and she lives outside of Eau Claire.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:39 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,419,077 times
This is true. The rural midwest has a lot in common. I know in Michigan there's a lotta folks that go "muddying" (a form of off-roading). Hence you these super muddy looking trucks & cars around. I don't think I've ever seen that in Chicagoland. I've seen cars looking like this not far outside of Detroit even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Ever been to ... white, rural America? Seriously, people from rural Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Iowa, Indiana, even places in Minnesota drive pick-up trucks, watch Nascar, listen to country music. The first time I rode with my partner's sister, she was listening to "Redneck Woman" in her car, and she lives outside of Eau Claire.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:13 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times
The younger people in K3 don't at all..

Old 01-10-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
If you go to a bar in Kankakee the female bartenders will say Ya'll insted of you guys.
They say that on the west side of Chicago too.

Kankakee County isn't THAT far removed from southern Cook County. I really hope peolple aren't taking this thread seriously.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Kankakee is only about 60 miles away from Chicago.
You're right that Kanakee is about 60 miles from DOWTOWN Chicago.

However, Kankakee, IL is 49.1 miles and 52 minutes away from the Roseland neighborhood in Chicago according to Google Maps.

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=o...w=1920&bih=979

Quote:
Many of the people that grew up in Kankakee, especially the older people, never have been to Chicago.
No. Even the older people have usually BEEN to Chicago. That's nonsense.

There's definitely some sheltered people down there. But this claim is absurd - that it's common for people to have never been to Chicago before. I already know you're comnpletely full of it.

Quote:
Ever drive around Kankakee county?
I've done more than that. I've hung out there. I know (and have known) people who live there. My mother is originally from there and my stepdad currently lives there. My grandparents on my mothers side died there. I have co-workers who live there. I can give you a tour of Kankakee, Bradley Bourbanais and various other parts of the county. For someone who has never lived down there, I'm pretty familiar with the area.

Quote:
I have and people actually have confederate flags in their front yard for decoration.
That's odd because I never have. Sounds like a good way to tick off black people.. And make everyone think you're a moron. Because, I mean, you live in the Land of Lincoln.

Quote:
Ever walk into a bar in Kankakee County? You will find the Country music channel playing or country music playing on the juke box.
This is true. There's definitely more of a love for country music among white people down there than up here.

Quote:
You know what the beer of choice is in Kankakee County? Busch light.
Prove it. You state this like it's a fact but I think you made it up.

I've totally seen guys loitering and drinking malt liquor in Kankakee before. I'm sure there's a substantial amount of Coronas sold too.

Quote:
People in Kankakee county love driving pick up trucks,
Some do. This is an absurd generalization though.

Quote:
watch nascar,
My exposure to Nascar has been next to nothing BUT I'm pretty familiar with Kankakee County. I won't comment beyond that.

Quote:
and there are many who have bumper stickers that you find to relate to southern culture.
Many? Maybe from someone from the south? I serioudly don't know what you're talking about. Are you sure you didn't have a dream that you visited Kankakee?

Quote:
One woman told me she was a southern girl. She was raised in Kankakee her entire life and so were her parents.
She probably meant that she that in reference to Chicagoland. People refer to places like Matteson and Orland Park and Chicago as "up north" (or even "the north"!). And yes, people in the area DO talk like that. This is reality unlike your comments.

Quote:
If you go to a bar in Kankakee the female bartenders will say Ya'll insted of you guys.
The black female bartender at Da La Soul does, I can tell ya that. The one I've talked to is originally from Chicago, BTW.

Quote:
Need I go on?
No, you've already spewed enough BS to last a month.. I suggest laying low for a while because I, for one, don't take your posts seriously anymore. I think you're a troll who makes stuff up.

Last edited by urza216; 01-11-2013 at 03:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois