Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2013, 01:00 PM

28 posts, read 74,519 times

Advertisements

My husband is considering a job as a university professor at an Illinois public university. Should we be concerned about the pension crisis, or do you think the current legislature will resolve it in a satisfactory manner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 05:58 PM

13,008 posts, read 18,961,971 times
Except if the OP's husband turns down the job, someone else will become an evil government employee. We also need to eliminate the State Police, Prison Guards and other agencies. Mental Health has just about been eliminated already! But seriously, the pension crisis, when it is resolved, will probably result in less generous benefits for employees but still pretty good.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:21 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,580,237 times
The "resolution" will HAVE TO MEAN that younger / newer state employees will get the SAME KIND OF 401k type plan that any person working for EVEN THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT has had for more than decade! Older employees will be "grandfathered" into the same overly generous benefits. Employees in the middle will have to "kick in more" to cover the older ones and themselves...

I would not rule out employment with the State of Illinois over "pension crisis" but I would be aware that the mess that has been allowed to fester for too long is unlikely to make for happy co-workers...

Old 01-17-2013, 06:56 PM

28 posts, read 74,519 times
Quote:
Employees in the middle will have to "kick in more" to cover the older ones and themselves...
Professors at public Illinois universities currently contribute 8-10% of their salary towards their retirement plans. It seems clear that that amount will have to increase, but I wonder by how much.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:58 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,580,237 times
Default If most recent round of tax increases is any sign...

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphita View Post
Professors at public Illinois universities currently contribute 8-10% of their salary towards their retirement plans. It seems clear that that amount will have to increase, but I wonder by how much.
...the law makers had no qualms about asking for 66% increase...

Old 01-17-2013, 10:09 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,405,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcruiseisyourmom View Post
Working in the public sector is always a bad idea. We need to get rid of all government employees and agencies. Why should I pay your husband's salary with my tax money. I earned it, I don't want any one else's grubby little hands on it.
Shaddap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphita View Post
My husband is considering a job as a university professor at an Illinois public university. Should we be concerned about the pension crisis, or do you think the current legislature will resolve it in a satisfactory manner?
College/university instructors do not participate in the Teacher Retirement System, which is the pension system everyone's fretting about. He would be participating in the State University Retirement System. If he doesn't trust the state to manage his pension for him, he can select the 401(a) plan which is similar to a 401(k) in that it is a defined contribution rather than defined benefit plan, the employee chooses from a range of investment options, contributions are tax-deferred, the contributions are placed in trust and out of the employer's reach, et cetera.

Whether he chooses the standard pension plan or the 401(a) plan, there is a mandatory 8% contribution. The reason the contribution rate is so high is because full-time state employees do not pay into Social Security. The state throws in another 7%. The 7% match is the part he shouldn't count on forever -- as with any employer the match rate can change whenever management (in this case, the state legislature) decides to change it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois