Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2007, 08:56 PM

1 posts, read 5,009 times

Advertisements

I accepted a job as a manager at Jeld-Wen in rantoul. I interned there this summer and lived in Champaign. I will be moving jan. 2008 and need permanent housing. Does anyone know of any good townhome/rental house communities/properties/real estate agents for me? I am looking for reasonable rent around 700 a month or lower, not a dump, but i don't need the high class townhomes i have seen for a grand a month. I have had some luck, but being 2.5 hours away, as much internet research as i can do is a plus. please respond soon as i am looking to go see some places within the next 2 weeks. 2 bedroom townhomes are what im really looking for. feel free to post here, or email me, or IM Me on AIM (psychomatt2003) with school loans and other bills i have accumulated through college, 700 a month is about my price ceiling. p.s. - rantoul scares me. dont wanna live there especially with my fiancee probably working 2nds or thirds at a local hospital. my email is mbohm@purdue.edu

Last edited by boilerforlife; 11-18-2007 at 08:59 PM.. Reason: forgot email
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 11:23 PM

14 posts, read 84,841 times
It looks like you are trying your hardest to not live in Rantoul -- and I don't blame you. You might consider Thomasboro, although it has very few new developments, you are close to Rantoul so you won't waste money on gas. Also, you said your fiance is going to work at the local hospital, I would assume that is in Urbana. So, if that is the case, you might want to consider C-U or one of it's 'suburbs' (Savoy, Mahomet or even possibly Tolono). Good luck and I would recommend not living in Rantoul.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
There is no local hospital in Rantoul. Your fiance will be working in Champaign-Urbana.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:44 AM

2 posts, read 10,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkemper View Post
It looks like you are trying your hardest to not live in Rantoul -- and I don't blame you. You might consider Thomasboro, although it has very few new developments, you are close to Rantoul so you won't waste money on gas. Also, you said your fiance is going to work at the local hospital, I would assume that is in Urbana. So, if that is the case, you might want to consider C-U or one of it's 'suburbs' (Savoy, Mahomet or even possibly Tolono). Good luck and I would recommend not living in Rantoul.

I concur; there are several small communities that would be convenient given your situation and probably still less of a drive that you're used to commuting if you live in a metro are like Chicago or Indy. Near Rantoul there are T'boro (as mentioned above), Fisher, Gifford, Ludlow, Mahomet, St. Joe Royal and Paxton (a little further away, but still just 25 miles or so north). All have decent to good schools, small town quality of life and are not Rantoul.

But I question why some here are so dead set against Rantoul being able to continue to provide the quality of life as it has for the 70+ years it was home to the air base and the 60 years before that?

A few 'bums' move in and suddenly it’s "little Havana" or a reincarnated Cabrini Green?

Give me a break!

Growing up on the near North side in Chicago in the late 60', I've seen urban decay in full bloom. I'll admit that we've seen an increase of folks who think that "Jackass - the movie" was reality based but some folks think that all members of the area's minority population are somehow "Compton CA, Cowboys." But, fortunately, not all are so easily stereotyped. Some actually have jobs, own businesses and other things besides living on the dole.

Again, I say, give me a break!

The local pols advertised inexpensive housing in the regional metro area papers and - surprise - folks decided to get out of the cities and move to an area where housing was less expensive - with or without a job.

If you ask me, they are looking to have a better life for their family than what most larger areas are able to have.

Do we have problems? Yep. So does Cook County, last time I checked.

Many of the dispirited locals call this community "Rantucky" but if they knew the area history, that's because the town was first settled by a large contingent of Kentuckians back in the 1850's or so.. seems that Abe and his family went a little further west of here towards the Bloomington area.

There are many great places to live right here in town and several of the schools are well above what you'd expect for a town it's size. If you have or are planning on having children and the local (read: public) schools don't meet your expectations, there are several good alternates (St. Mal's and Tommy More for the Roman Catholic parishioners and even Judah Christian Academy for the rest of us protestants) There's even a gifted High School (Uni) in Urbana if your progeny are so suited.

Wishing the OP "Good luck" with their transition and they end up in Rantoul, I'd encourage them to stop by Ott's on a Saturday and try their haystack if they haven't already. More of what's bad for you than you need in a single day, but a finer home cooked style breakfast cannot be found within 90 miles... (that puts it up into the far southern burbs, so I think that I can safely make that claim... )

Old 12-22-2015, 10:05 PM

341 posts, read 412,938 times
So I know in the past I said I might be moving to Rantoul, Illinois. Well now I might be getting a different job in Rantoul, IL. I know there use to be an Air Force post there that moved. My question there is why is rent so cheap? Even for a rural area rent is cheap. Is it high crime? High unemployment? High minority? (I am not racist) High Section 8? Other?

The job makes $2800 or about $30 k a year. (I am not bragging about my salary). Is it worth it? I live in Orland Park, Illinois and would relocate. What else about Rantoul can you tell me? I am please looking for someone who been or is in Rantoul. Not someone who just googles a few things to get points on City-Data. Are towns around it just as cheap and or nicer?

Happy Holidays

Tom

Old 01-29-2016, 11:50 AM

341 posts, read 412,938 times
Default Rantoul

I might be getting a job in Rantoul, Illinois. I know it is a run down former military town. I might be able to live at work for a while. The job pays $2222 a month. Could I live on that there. I know rent is cheap. Anything I should know?

Old 03-27-2016, 12:31 PM

801 posts, read 2,567,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGPII View Post
I might be getting a job in Rantoul, Illinois. I know it is a run down former military town. I might be able to live at work for a while. The job pays $2222 a month. Could I live on that there. I know rent is cheap. Anything I should know?
If you're willing to live down the road in Champaign, you'll have a lot of choices.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:02 PM

25 posts, read 24,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGPII View Post
Yes! Theres apartments you can live in for $500-$600! Including 2-3bedrooms! Rantoul is just super boring and u may find urself coming out to champaign/urbana alot. If u have any choices, try getting a job in chambana, only 10-15 min away and u will have tons of choices. But for $2.2K a month, its very possible jn rantoul
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois