Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 10:58 AM

3 posts, read 15,059 times

Advertisements

Any information about South Pointe Commons in Rantoul IL?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 01:24 PM

551 posts, read 3,122,215 times
Not this complex particularly, but I can say a few words about Rantoul as a whole...and that's to run the other direction.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:31 AM

3 posts, read 15,059 times
Default Rantoul IL

There must be aleast one part of town where it isnt that bad. I know that every city has a good side and a bad side. I am looking to relocate to Rantoul form MI within a week or so. I will be relocating with my two children and husband. My children are only 1 and 2 so schools arent an issue right now. We will reside in Illinois for no longer than 2 to 3 years then will be moving some place where the weather is nice.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:06 AM

Rantoul isn't that bad in terms of crime, but it's generally thought of as a low-class town and commonly referred to as "Rantucky". Unless you have a specific reason for picking Rantoul, I'd look to neighboring towns like Champaign-Urbana, Mahomet, or Monticello. They're only about 20 minutes from Rantoul, but 50 times nicer. Champaign-Urbana is the most expensive to live in, but Mahomet and Monticello are very nice and reasonably priced.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:14 PM

84 posts, read 272,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini84 View Post
Rantoul isn't that bad in terms of crime, but it's generally thought of as a low-class town and commonly referred to as "Rantucky". Unless you have a specific reason for picking Rantoul, I'd look to neighboring towns like Champaign-Urbana, Mahomet, or Monticello. They're only about 20 minutes from Rantoul, but 50 times nicer. Champaign-Urbana is the most expensive to live in, but Mahomet and Monticello are very nice and reasonably priced.

Rantucky?? Gosh... But on target lifestyle wise. Wasn't South Pointe a part of the old Chanute AFB housing? The rents are quite cheap in Rantoul but the driving to chambana will get OLD QUICK!

mark

Old 03-04-2008, 07:01 PM

I can't imagine Rantoul is AS bad as people play it out to be though...I've been there a couple of times and while it wasn't Beverly Hills, it wasn't terrible. Mostly working class people, lower and middle class homes, not many businesses, but I think it could be livable if you didn't care about those things. Champaign does have a much better quality of life in my opinion, but you will pay for that.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:51 PM

260 posts, read 1,145,268 times
There are some parts of town that are relatively nice, but they look bad in comparison with the other towns in the region. I think you'd be all right there, you're already aware of some of the more unsavory aspects of the place and can avoid them.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:54 PM

Here is the South Pointe Commons website, if you haven't seen it already: South Pointe Commons in Rantoul, Illinois

Users on one site rated it 2.5/5 stars and didn't have very nice things to say. I don't think I'd rent here after reading some of these things unless you're just looking for a cheap place and aren't too picky.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:26 PM
ndb

26 posts, read 113,233 times
Rantoul is just a smaller Illinois town. The reason that people are hard on it is because it's been slowly withering away since the Air Force base closed. It's not a terrible place, but I don't think I'd move there unless I absolutely had to (just because I'm used to what Champaign Urbana offers).
Rantoul is certainly more economical than most of the other nearby towns, it's more of a working class town, as long as you have expectations that are on par with that then I think it's actually a fairly quiet place to live. In this area folks from C-U and the more "upscale" commuter towns always rag on it because it's more of a working class town. I grew up in a town similar to it and it was not a bad place to live. That said, I don't know anything about the apartment complex.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:07 PM

3 posts, read 13,484 times
I've lived here for 2 years now. Although there's not much to do unless you like to bike ride, go for walks or swimming. I live in an town home and had no problems with my fellow neighbors of all colors. In fact I can take my golden for a walk around my neighborhood with no one bothering me. Did I mention I take him out in the middle of the night... I found the people to be very kind in just a few months of living here. People seem to look out for each other and help when they can.
As far as crime I lived in Champaign for 8 years and that by far is worse than here. I by the way love bike riding and went all over here and there with kids.
I feel by far safer in Rantoul than in Champaign of the over all areas.
I home school my kids so I don't know first hand about the schools here but the other moms I've connected with that home school are wonderful and very helpful to a new home schooling mom.
There are a few places to eat out here although the healthy living is all found in Champaign stores. I honestly could say we saved more money living here than when we lived in Champaign,going out when bored to spend money in Champaign. At least now we go when we really need to, to stock up on food.
Just remember crime is everywhere and if you fear it you'll see it everywhere you go. We make the circle around us!
Be Blessed in the direction you may go. Your friend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois