Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2008, 10:46 AM

12 posts, read 105,927 times

Advertisements

Does anybody know what hospital is the best in Rockford? And is Rockford Memorial Hospital any good, especially for child birth? I've heard that West area is horrible and this hospital is on the West side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 11:06 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,542,960 times
I have never given birth in any Rockford Hospitals, but my best friend has. When she was pregnant with her third child, she started bleeding heavily 2 months before her baby was due. She was taken in an ambulance to St. Anthony where they did an emergency c-section. (Her placenta had torn away and both her and the baby could have died.) The baby was immediately transferred to Rockford Memorial because apparently Rockford Memorial has the best Neonatal Intensive Care Unit in the Rockford area. So I'm guessing it must be pretty good for child birth.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:59 AM

56 posts, read 266,879 times
I do not think the Hospital is bad i think its the area the Hospital is in is bad. I have heard great things about that Hospital.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:06 PM

209 posts, read 1,089,532 times
Swedish American Hospital is the best hospital in Rockford, friendly nurses, good care, and service.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:13 PM

71 posts, read 332,664 times
If you want really good healthcare, don't go into any hospitals in Rockford. I had a friend that once went to Saint Anthony's and the care that was given totally sucked. I mean, the doctor seriously told him that he was wasting his time and that he was a hypocontriact. The doctor also said that the only reason he was going to do test on him was because he wanted him to realize that there was nothing wrong with him and that he was only wasting the doctor's time. Little does this doctor know, there is something woring with my friend and this will be brought up to the board of health. We are not going to sue, because that would be lame, but we want to make sure that the doctors in Rockford hospitals take their jobs seriously.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:00 AM

61 posts, read 301,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerStocktonian View Post
If you want really good healthcare, don't go into any hospitals in Rockford. I had a friend that once went to Saint Anthony's and the care that was given totally sucked. I mean, the doctor seriously told him that he was wasting his time and that he was a hypocontriact. The doctor also said that the only reason he was going to do test on him was because he wanted him to realize that there was nothing wrong with him and that he was only wasting the doctor's time. Little does this doctor know, there is something woring with my friend and this will be brought up to the board of health. We are not going to sue, because that would be lame, but we want to make sure that the doctors in Rockford hospitals take their jobs seriously.
You cannot make that assumption about all Rockford hospitals and doctors just because of one unfortunate incident, that statement is silly.

Here is my opinion about the Rockford health system from my experiences. In 2004 when I was pregnant with my son, I had a lot of complications and I went into labor at 25 weeks. Because I lived in Cary, the hospital that I went to (Woodstock) wasn't equipped to deal with a baby of that size, in case I gave birth that early. So I was air-lifted to Rockford Memorial. They stopped my pre-term labor and I stayed in the "at risk Moms" ward of the hospital for about 3 weeks until I was sent home on bed rest.
Rockford Memorial Hospital and its staff were wonderful. After I was stable, I was given a tour of the whole NICU and maternity ward and let me tell you - RMH has one of THE best facilities for early births and premature babies in the state. The NICU is really wonderful and I was impressed.
Along with that, the most surprising thing about RMH is the FOOD. Best hospital food EVER.
Overall, it was a pleasant stay considering my conditions. I wish that I was able to stay there and give birth, but thankfully my little one held out a little longer and I was able to give birth at 31 weeks at my local hospital in Woodstock.

I have a really positive opinion of Rockford Memorial hospital and ESPECIALLY their maternity staff. Also, the nurses that were in the helicopter with me from RMH were some of the nicest, most helpful ones that I've come across.

If you or someone you know is pregnant, you can call and set up a tour of their facilities I believe. You should really go and talk to them and see for yourself. I think it will really help to ease your nerves. In fact, almost any hospital will allow you to take a tour when you are considering giving birth there. I would tour a couple and go with your best feeling and recommendations.

Good luck!

Old 01-22-2008, 11:35 PM

158 posts, read 405,511 times
Default Best hospital in Rockford??

Best for what type of care or medical condition are you referring to?

Rockford Memorial (RMH) has the ONLY Neonatal ICU in the area; all high risk moms and babies in the area are eventually transferred there. Swedish American Hospital (Swede's) is an excellent all-round general care hospital. St. Anthony's Medical Center is a Level 1 Trauma Center and has top-notch surgical, ICU and specialty care. All three hospitals are affiliated with the University of Illinois School of Medicine.

I was on the medical staff at the latter two hospitals as well as a Clinical Assistant Professor at the medical school for ten years. I have extensive experience as an double-board certified anesthesiologist and pain management physician at Barnes Hospital and St. Louis Children's Hospital of Washington University in St. Louis as well as a few smaller hospitals in Kansas, Texas, and now I'm located in Tacoma, WA. I only mention my credentials to demonstrate that I know what I'm talking about. All three Rockford Hospitals are only as good as their staff of nurses, techs and of course, the physician medical staff. All three hospitals are EXCELLENT! I left for a better climate and more relaxed lifestyle. I would seek care for myself or my family at any one of the hospitals in Rockford without hesitation.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:13 AM

61 posts, read 301,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugetsoundman View Post
Best for what type of care or medical condition are you referring to?

Rockford Memorial (RMH) has the ONLY Neonatal ICU in the area; all high risk moms and babies in the area are eventually transferred there. Swedish American Hospital (Swede's) is an excellent all-round general care hospital. St. Anthony's Medical Center is a Level 1 Trauma Center and has top-notch surgical, ICU and specialty care. All three hospitals are affiliated with the University of Illinois School of Medicine.

I was on the medical staff at the latter two hospitals as well as a Clinical Assistant Professor at the medical school for ten years. I have extensive experience as an double-board certified anesthesiologist and pain management physician at Barnes Hospital and St. Louis Children's Hospital of Washington University in St. Louis as well as a few smaller hospitals in Kansas, Texas, and now I'm located in Tacoma, WA. I only mention my credentials to demonstrate that I know what I'm talking about. All three Rockford Hospitals are only as good as their staff of nurses, techs and of course, the physician medical staff. All three hospitals are EXCELLENT! I left for a better climate and more relaxed lifestyle. I would seek care for myself or my family at any one of the hospitals in Rockford without hesitation.
That should be all the recommendation the OP needs. Great post! This is the exact reason people come to this forum for informed opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois