Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 02:24 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times

Advertisements

According to their Website:

In 1984, a new name, St. Louis Downtown-Parks Airport, was selected to better emphasize the Airport's quick and easy accessibility to downtown St. Louis--a quality that is unmatched by any other airport in the St. Louis area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 03:05 PM

287 posts, read 350,660 times
^^ I'm calling foul on that one. I don't see how they are that much more convenient, if at all, to downtown compared to Lambert. Plus I think the Sauget airport (the "Downtown" airport) is an inconvenient drive; 10 miles up 255 N to 64 W.

I know that was from their website, so the foul is on them, not you.

Old 02-01-2008, 03:18 PM

I think it's crap too...
but at least it explains the reason they call themselves that.

Old 02-01-2008, 03:24 PM

287 posts, read 350,660 times
Yeah. I remember the first time I took 270/255 all the way from my job in Creve Coeur to the metro east and passing that going "Wha?" I never hear anyone saying "Hey, after I take my trip to [random city] could you pick me up at the Downtown St. Louis Airport, in Sauget, Illinois? haha. It does look pretty cool driving past it at night and seeing the city through the field and the runway lights of the airport (the "downtown" airport, that is).

Old 02-02-2008, 05:35 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,340,727 times
We live across the river from St. Charles we are just a drive away .. I use to drive to Monsanto daily...

Lots of people commute from this site to Mo.

I think you will find taxes and expenses different on both sides ......... I think if it were me I would look at what LIFE STYLE you wish to have .. big city vs little city
what type of grocery stores
malls
how close to the big life you want
how rural do you want?

Old 02-03-2008, 10:21 AM

81 posts, read 303,258 times
Very true, 2beamissourian... we'd love to live in a rural area where land isn't to expensive, schools are great and we can get to the downtown area within 30-45 minutes... too much to ask? Also, are there year-round options in any of the schools?

Old 02-04-2008, 09:43 AM

Francis Howell on the Missouri side (in St. Charles county) does year-round. I am sure there are others, just know that one since I went there!

You might actually look in the St.Charles county area of Missouri - I'm not trying to poach anyone from the Illinois side, but it might also be an area worth looking at in the metro area.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:34 AM

79 posts, read 353,403 times
sounds like you are wanting the whole family environment, which if it is the case, i personally see that more on the illinois side. o'fallon is definitely an improving area...which means real estate values increasing...and it is not too far from fairview where the majority of shopping is done. do you see yourself more staying at home or wanting to go out to st louis get what city life you can there? also, living close to a metro stop could be an advantage

Old 02-28-2008, 04:12 PM

13 posts, read 39,678 times
are you considering e. st. louis? LOL, if so you must have a death wish.

Old 02-28-2008, 04:50 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
Default I lived on both sides pf the river

The one advantage of living near St. Louis is hospitals. Barnes jewish Hospital is one of the top 25 hospitals in the nation. St.Louis also has some interesting specialty stores like Trader Joe's - large all natural foods grocer. The next closest is in Denver.and Las Vegas.

Generally speaking gas and real estate taxes are cheaper in Missouri, and doctors might be a bit cheaper for office calls. Illinois groceries are taxed at 1%,and Senior Services are outstanding. However, my experience with MO schools is negative. I think the schools in Illinois are better.

St. Louis weather is just as brutal as Chicago Summers are dreadful and winters are not much better if it is a bad year.

I've driven through the area four times a year for 25 years. If I were going to live anywhere near St. Louis, it would be in Troy,MO. It is a testament to what a small town can do when it is motivated, and it is not on the Interestate - which is a plus. The once narrow-minded hack town of the 70s, grew up, changed its attitude and expanded into an area absolutely worth considering. The lasr time I checked, real estate was still reasonable. Considering the current housing slump you should be able to pick up a nice house at an affordable price. But don't ever buy a house if you absolutely cannot have a house inspection. Mold and lung problems are a bid deal in both states. It's rampant in empty buildings.. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois