Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 07:46 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,998,096 times

Advertisements

This may be a dumb question but how can Illinois have a balanced budget if it has such huge pension liabilities? It would seem to me that to get a balanced budget the pensions would have to be factored in and that would not leave any money for important programs and to run the state.

I routinely get messages from people on Facebook exhorting me to call the governor and tell him we need a balanced budget...or Call mike Madigan and tell him to balance the budget...well how can they ever really do it if there is this huge pension thing to be paid off? Its like a mantra.....

At this point they have just delayed till January...should the state budget and fiscal woes really be at the hands of do nothing politicians or should a professional board of financial people be brought in to figure out how to realign things to get out of this mess???

I know its important to have balanced budgets but we are literally a day late and a dollar short on that...at this point, is it even desirable or possible to have a balanced budget?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 10:39 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,519,632 times
Frankly there is no reasonable level of revenue/taxation that can make Illinois solvent given its current structure and pension liabilities. The numbers are just unreal, it is like a janitor owing 1 million in credit card debt. I don't see how they can pay a portion without destroying the economy and having people and businesses flee in droves even compared to the level of people that are already leaving. It is not just the state but most local levels of govt are in similar dire straits. If they all start trying to tax their way out they will literally be left with no citizens or businesses left.

I've already started doing all of my shopping online and in Lake/Du Page to protest Cook Co and have completely ruled out home ownership in IL.

Last edited by MSchemist80; 07-05-2016 at 10:53 AM..

Old 07-06-2016, 05:15 AM

4,678 posts, read 7,458,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Time to pop the popcorn and watch the show from the safety of Indiana.
Pass the Coke please
How patriotic. You're a peach. With citizens of the U.S. like you, there's just *so* much hope for the future

Old 07-06-2016, 07:58 AM

4,678 posts, read 7,458,805 times
Quote:
You know whats not patriotic? Electing over and over again the same crooks that have run the state into the ground.
Actually, engaging in the U.S. electoral process is pretty darn American!

Old 07-06-2016, 09:41 AM

We need to get rid of Mike Madigan. I can't see how he gets re elected. What do the citizens see in him?

Old 07-06-2016, 09:45 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,188,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
We need to get rid of Mike Madigan. I can't see how he gets re elected. What do the citizens see in him?
Mike Madigan deserves to rot in hell. How he sleeps at night is beyond me.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:52 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,305,011 times
Sad but true, even the higher taxes alone cannot fix it, the hole is so deep. It unfortunately would have to be an IL state constitutional amendment that reduces the pension payouts.

OTOH, no- sorry to pop your bubble. Some smart people are not leaving because they realize their will be future business opportunities here by weathering the storm longer.

Quote:
It can but it will require insanely destructive taxes.
Something like a 7-8% income tax
9% state sales tax (13%+ for Chicago)
Even higher property taxes. As if having the highest property taxes in America wasn't good enough for Illinois.
Maybe some new crazy kind of taxes.
Cloud taxes, Parking lot taxes (Chicago is already talking about it), A tax on farts, A tax on using public restrooms, A criticize the crooks tax (Charge you $1 for every time you bad mouth the crooks that run the state)

Fortunately smart people are getting out of the state.
Time to pop the popcorn and watch the show from the safety of Indiana.
Pass the Coke please

Old 07-06-2016, 10:43 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,519,632 times
The state is in total crisis and the only thing that can save it is a major constitutional convention with changes, restructuring, and renegotiation with regards to the structure of govt and govt workers. Unfortunately Rauner has tried to push modest reforms but the Dems will not go for anything except taxing their way out of this. It looks as if even he is ready to give up on the state.

Old 07-06-2016, 11:04 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,188,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
The state is in total crisis and the only thing that can save it is a major constitutional convention with changes, restructuring, and renegotiation with regards to the structure of govt and govt workers. Unfortunately Rauner has tried to push modest reforms but the Dems will not go for anything except taxing their way out of this. It looks as if even he is ready to give up on the state.
By Dems you mean Madigan and his cronies. I suspect many in the State Legislature understand that there's no feasible way to tax you way out of this. Bankruptcy is the only viable option at this point, whether we like it or not. (We don't)

Old 07-06-2016, 11:08 AM

Could/should Illinois be put into receivership??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois