Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2016, 11:06 AM

6 posts, read 13,148 times

Advertisements

Moving to Springfield Il in the fall. I want to live in the Washington Park area but am concerned about the public elementary schools (and middle schools) in the area. Does anyone have an opinion on the Catholic or Lutheran Schools in this area? I was raised Catholic, but my kid was not and has only attended public schools (she is entering 4th grade) Concerned mostly about the resources of these schools for kids who have (slight) learning disabilities. Also, if I must, I could live in the Chatham district, but I want to avoid living in what I would call a "house farm." I know that these hoods tend to draw many young families, but I find them unduly depressing having grown up (and currently live) in older, established suburbs with trees, shops and gridded street networks. Also, any thoughts on lake front living near UIS? Is there any community to be had in these lake facing houses?

Thanks

Bob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 01:33 PM

4,678 posts, read 7,458,805 times
I went to both Catholic elementary and high schools in Springfield. Unfortunately, the elementary school I attended has closed and was converted to part of Benedictine University. The Catholic schools that are still open are all excellent, and the educational opportunities afforded at these schools are very good, although you will pay a premium for them. However, if memory serves me, there is ample opportunity for financial aid, although it will not totally defer the costs incurred.

I agree with your assessment about preferring to live in the Washington Park area over Chatham, as the park neighborhoods are more established and have a nicer feel to them. You may also want to look around Lincoln park for established neighborhoods and homes. However, I *think* these options will be pricier for you over Chatham. Rochester has a nice feel to it, is a little more quaint than Chatham, and also has good schools, which could be another alternative.

I have an aunt who lives along the lake not far from UIS. Most of the neighborhoods, save for a few, aren't as cohesive as you might get along the parks and other parts of Springfield, but the locations can be very beautiful.

Old 07-08-2016, 05:41 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,080,475 times
Why on earth are you moving to Springfield, IL? I can't think of a more depressing state capital.

Old 07-08-2016, 07:10 PM

4,678 posts, read 7,458,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Why on earth are you moving to Springfield, IL? I can't think of a more depressing state capital.
There definitely are.

Springfield is a perfectly fine albeit sleepy place.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,613 times
My advice? Look for a home near Washington Park, and go to public schools. Catholic schools in Springfield are overrated and offer little-to-no special education services. If you can live near Washington Park and get your student into Butler Elementary and Franklin Middle School, you will be set. These are the hidden gems in Springfield education. Franklin is nothing to look at but the kids there achieve. Both schools have special ed support you will NOT get at private. That also puts you in Springfield HS, which I think might be a better bet than Chatham.

The neighborhood feel of the lake depends on which area you're in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois