Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 09:00 AM

934 posts, read 1,441,390 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone has been following the push for an amendment that would allow a 3rd party to redraw Illinois's voting districts? From what I can tell, it seems like a good idea. The fact that Madigan opposes it only furthers my support. Here's the FAQs from their website. The chance to put the amendment on the November ticket (after gaining over half a million signatures) was shot down by Judge Larsen in Cook County, so the organization has taken it to the Supreme Court of Illinois.

What does everyone think? Is anyone opposed to this? I'm curious because a lot of political researchers (like Dick Simpson, author of Corrupt Illinois) feel this is an important step to cleaning out the corruption in Illinois politics. Either way, I think it is an important test to whether or not citizens can affect change in their government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 11:54 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,171,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post
I was wondering if anyone has been following the push for an amendment that would allow a 3rd party to redraw Illinois's voting districts? From what I can tell, it seems like a good idea. The fact that Madigan opposes it only furthers my support. Here's the FAQs from their website. The chance to put the amendment on the November ticket (after gaining over half a million signatures) was shot down by Judge Larsen in Cook County, so the organization has taken it to the Supreme Court of Illinois.

What does everyone think? Is anyone opposed to this? I'm curious because a lot of political researchers (like Dick Simpson, author of Corrupt Illinois) feel this is an important step to cleaning out the corruption in Illinois politics. Either way, I think it is an important test to whether or not citizens can affect change in their government.
Fully support. Anything to dethrone the a****** Madigan and his cronies is a great idea in my book. Hopefully he's sent straight from the house to prison . Heard Blago would appreciate a cellmate.

Old 08-18-2016, 01:57 PM

529 posts, read 647,705 times
I support this but who would the third party be? Who chooses the third party that creates the districts?

Old 08-18-2016, 11:01 PM

934 posts, read 1,441,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman7 View Post
I support this but who would the third party be? Who chooses the third party that creates the districts?
I've been trying to understand this as well. I think this site has a thorough detailing of how the commission is selected. It sound like a random group of commissioners is selected from a large pool of applicants by a panel. The Speaker and Minority Leader of the House are given limited ability to change only a few members in the panel. Apparently this is similar to a redistricting plan done in California.

I also found Madigan's reason for resisting the amendment:

"The so-called 'reforms' in Illinois will devastate the voices of minority community and minority voters. ... What's called the Independent Map Proposal has components which work against established constitutional and statutory requirements on minority representation in redistricting."

Old 08-19-2016, 09:21 AM

529 posts, read 647,705 times
Well if it is unconstitutional to misrepresent minorities in redistricting then the judicial system can get involved. I would hope the third party would be sensitive to minorities but also sensitive to ensuring fair districts as well.

As a purely anecdotal example, the village of La Grange Park has 3 congressional districts carved through it. 4th, 5th and 7th districts. For a town just larger than 2 square miles this is crazy. We all know the 4th district is the picture in the dictionary for gerrymandering.

Old 08-20-2016, 05:44 PM

490 posts, read 649,844 times
I'm all for it. I'm hoping the Illinois Supreme Court gets this thing right.

Old 08-20-2016, 06:02 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
A good idea but entrenched politicians and political parties will make sure it never sees the light of day. Madigan is right it will hurt minorities: incumbent politicians and party leaders are minorities

Last edited by pvande55; 08-20-2016 at 06:02 PM.. Reason: Grammar

Old 08-20-2016, 06:25 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
The Madigan machine doesn't care about the will of half a million voters -- even if every single voter in Illinois voted in favor of the proposal, the Madigan machine would still use its power and influence to shut it down. Not because it hurts minorities, but because it's a threat to the enormous power held by Michael Madigan and his minions. What a wonderful state we live in.

Old 08-20-2016, 07:51 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,171,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
The Madigan machine doesn't care about the will of half a million voters -- even if every single voter in Illinois voted in favor of the proposal, the Madigan machine would still use its power and influence to shut it down. Not because it hurts minorities, but because it's a threat to the enormous power held by Michael Madigan and his minions. What a wonderful state we live in.
I don't know. Madigan is getting up there and may be too tired to fight for much longer. His own party is finally turning against him. The Madigan name has pretty much killed any hopes his daughter had for being Governor. Unfortunately he'll be around for a few more years, but he's definitely on his way out. He's 74 years old. Moral of the story is Republicans REALLY need to get it together so minorities, working class people, and those concerned with social issues aren't blindly voting for Democrats.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:14 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
I don't know. Madigan is getting up there and may be too tired to fight for much longer. His own party is finally turning against him. The Madigan name has pretty much killed any hopes his daughter had for being Governor. Unfortunately he'll be around for a few more years, but he's definitely on his way out. He's 74 years old. Moral of the story is Republicans REALLY need to get it together so minorities, working class people, and those concerned with social issues aren't blindly voting for Democrats.
I hope you're right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois