Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2016, 08:10 PM

2 posts, read 1,799 times

Advertisements

I am trying to figure out if I can get out of my lease without any cost other than my current months rent. First off I have a severe dog and cat allergy, so when I look for an apartment I always make sure there are no pets allowed. My lease says no pets and both the owner and property manager were very adamant about no animals. I even made sure to ask both of them from the very beginning if there are any animals in the building, they both assured me there was not. The day I move in and start unpacking I see a woman that lives across the hall with her dog in the hallway. Its pretty hard for me to be in the same room with a dog, so coming in contact with areas that a dog is in contact with will cause some major problems. So the main reason I picked this place over others is because of the no pet rule and was specifically told no animals were in the building. On top of all that there is a crazy bug problem too. After speaking with the owner (she had no clue the dog was there) she was nice and told me the situation can be resolved easily. I don't hear anything for a few hours and got a call from the manager, she told me that if an animal is a service dog the same contract protects them. Which I think she is lying about it being a service dog because she didn't even know it was there in the first place. So I am wondering if the lease is already broke on their part and if I am going to be responsible if they can't rent out the place after I leave. Please help, I'm guessing I'm going to have to get a lawyer, just need a little assurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2016, 09:02 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,843,012 times
Does your lease specifically state that the entire building is pet free or just your unit?

Old 08-20-2016, 09:51 PM

2 posts, read 1,799 times
It specifies tenants are not allowed to have animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois