Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2009, 11:48 PM

768 posts, read 945,431 times

Advertisements

I play poker for a living(medium-ish stakes), but I'm considering getting a real job out of boredom and lack of interaction/back up long-term plan. I'm looking at entry level stuff as a recent college grad with minimal experience working. As such, I've asked around on here and done the standard web searching in various locals that reap high unemployment: San Diego, Maine, Michigan, and parts of Colorado. Yet the internet is flooded with entry-level jobs in a variety of sectors. Some crappier type food industry stuff(which I'm not above working. Despite the cliche's I know a guy who rose into a decent wage at McDonalds, for example), management trainee programs, secretarial stuff, and so on.

So what's the deal? Is the economy predominately bad for middle management level adults that are having to start over again, as a generalization? Are these entry level jobs more competitive than I am realizing? Both?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 11:49 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,592,859 times
when you are not motivated every place and job stinks.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:59 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,941,358 times
Well you are being partly misled, and partly just not thinking the situation through. have you actually applied for these jobs? interviewed? received any offers?

sure there are thousands of listings. and there are tens of millions out of work. that isn't an exaggeration. tens of millions. so for every job advertised, there are hundreds of applicants.

those hundreds of applicants will include a good portion of overqualified persons applying for those entry level jobs. Most won't get it. Employers don't want to hire someone overqualified because they assume the minute the applicant finds something better, they'll move on and the employer will have lost all the money spent on recruiting and training.

on top of that many of the jobs advertised are never filled. the company shied away from hiring new staff. they didn't win a project they thought they would. they transferred an internal applicant. whatever the reason, spend some time on this board and you'll find a lot of people who've been to interviews that were for ghost jobs.

and of course there are the 'earn 5k a week stuffing envelopes!' scams, which I should hope need no explaining.

so go out there and apply for some of these entry level jobs and report back in six or eight months on your findings. and remember, as a recent college grad, entry level is what you are qualified for. you don't have to fight the overqualified fight.

Last edited by kodaka; 11-22-2009 at 12:29 AM..

Old 11-22-2009, 08:35 AM

15,890 posts, read 21,509,722 times
As a recent college grad, you normally don't EVEN qualify for entry level. Most entry level jobs look for 1-3 years of experience based on what I have found in my job search. While I will have a little over year of professional experience through internships when I graduate, it's all part time and in many cases, it's clear on the application that internships "don't count".

So you've got overqualified people applying for the jobs with artificially boosted requirements because companies know that they can get it, shutting out traditionally entry level applicants. Other entry level jobs only are looking for a high school degree, which can make college grads overqualified as well.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:10 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,317,345 times
A lot of the times "entry-level" is a codeword for wanting a college degree, years of experience, and someone under the age of 25.

And yes, almost everything is competitive right now. Furthermore, it is a race to the bottom as far as wages are concerned.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:39 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,317,313 times
It's a tough job market, I would agree with these sentiments for sure. I graduated last year and got a job a couple weeks after moving to Denver (originally from Michigan, RIP). In retrospect, I realize how lucky I was to find a job. I still think a little ambition and intelligence will take you long ways in your job search. Not to offend anybody here, but most people I see on here complaining about the struggeles of finding a job are A) folks fresh out of college with little experience, B) older folks with outdated skills, and C) older folks that are overqualified for the jobs that are available right now.

Since I don't really know what it was like to look for a job out of a recession, I can't really compare. I do think it's safe to say, though, that it's slim pickins' for all.

PS, I remember posting on one of your previous threads and we had a disagreement. Despite that, it's good to see you seriously considering a career path. Best of luck!

Old 11-23-2009, 09:55 PM

475 posts, read 1,646,250 times
Why don't you work in the gaming industry? Sound like you have a little idea whats its like. I would think it's good money and a chance for advancement and lot of fun.

I have had a lot of fun messing with the dealers late night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment