Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 03:19 PM

788 posts, read 4,068,690 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move out of CA. It sounds like Illinois might be a great place. Tell me why I should or shouldn't move there. Also, if you think I should make Illinois my new home, tell me what cities you recommend and why.

I am really looking forward to your suggestions. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2006, 03:45 PM

260 posts, read 1,145,765 times
A lot depends on what you're looking for- quiet living, or excitement. Also, what kind of work you do, and how much you want to pay for a house. Jobs Downstate pay less than in Chicago, but living is easier here, not nearly as expensive.

Old 12-19-2006, 03:50 PM

BTW Cali, Chicago and many of the suburbs have draconian laws regarding gun ownership (I browsed through your old posts), that might be something to consider. Downstate isn't like that, we still respect our Constitutional Rights and Freedoms.

Old 12-19-2006, 07:36 PM

Default what do I want...

It's so difficult for me to be more specific regarding what I want out of a town because I don't know yet...I definitely want to be surrounded by beauty. What I consider beautiful is open... desert, forests, mountains, lakes, city. I also want to be close to great restaurants and excitement, but I also want to be safe and have a more peaceful way of life (not the constant go go go of CA). Does this help at all? Thanks for your help!

Old 12-19-2006, 07:37 PM

Default oh yeah...

you asked about what kind of work I do. I am finishing a Master's of English degree. I teach a couple of writing courses at the State University here, and I would like to continue that. My hubby is an ultrasound tech.

Old 12-19-2006, 07:59 PM

Champaign-Urbana and the surrounding area would fit you to a "T" then. Google up "Larry Kanfer" for some photography typical of the area, or "Harold Gregor" for paintings set in the Central Illinois landscape. Most outsiders don't quite understand the appeal of the Prairie until they see the works of those two.

Old 12-20-2006, 07:06 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxtonian View Post
Champaign-Urbana and the surrounding area would fit you to a "T" then. Google up "Larry Kanfer" for some photography typical of the area, or "Harold Gregor" for paintings set in the Central Illinois landscape. Most outsiders don't quite understand the appeal of the Prairie until they see the works of those two.
IMO prairies are the most serene setting in the states. No amount of mountains or lakes or waterfalls or deserts or forests soothe the soul like a vast and vibrant prairie.

Cali, downstate IL is a whole other animal compared to the Chicagoland area. Cost of living is vastly cheaper downstate, but there is alot less to do. It all depends on what tickles your fancy. Id say head on out here and spend a week or two exploring the areas (both downstate and Chicagoland). Im not too familiar with the southern part of the state, but I can recommend MANY Chicagoland suburbs you could check out. Just review them here on city-data and see if any of them in particular interest you and I can try and help you more. Here are some of my personal faves: Warrenville, Wheaton, St. Charles, Naperville, Geneva, Hinsdale, Oak Brook, Oak Park, Lake Forest, Winfield, Bloomingdale, Orland Park, Winnetka, Wayne, Bartlett, Carol Stream, Lisle, Plainfield.

Old 12-21-2006, 12:24 AM

131 posts, read 745,220 times
I live in a suburb of Champaign-Urbana. It sounds as if Paxtonian is right, C-U (as it is known in the local jargon) seems like a good fit for you. It's just big enough to be a city and have just about anything you might want, and not so big as to have metropolitan hustle and bustle.

The University of Illinois home campus is in Champaign-Urbana, and it is located across a swath of both cities. In a way, it is like a separate city. When the students are here, the urban population swells by roughly 44,000 (about 40%!). When the University is in session, "campus-town" is busy and vibrant. It has been called the "third downtown," and in many ways it is better than the downtown areas of either city. Campus-town is made for walking, so bring your walking shoes. When the students are gone, it is more like "ghost-town." Still, the presence of that many students from all over the world gives C-U a cosmopolitan atmosphere absent in most other cities downstate.

The University of Illinois has an excellent English department, so that would be a good place for you to work. There is also a good community college, Parkland Community College, if that is more your speed. In addition to that, there are two urban school districts and numerous suburban ones. You shouldn't have trouble getting work in your field at whatever level you want to teach at.

There are two major hospitals in C-U, a university hospital, as well as numerous clinics. Your husband should be able to find work also.

Edited to add: C-U has one of the best bus systems in the United States. If you live in Champaign-Urbana or parts of Savoy (a suburb), then owning a car is strictly optional.

Old 12-21-2006, 10:18 AM

Default Paxtonian, Steve-O and Switch65, you'r great!

Thanks so much for the positive and informative feedback. I am going to start my research on all of the places you've suggested. I can't wait to get out of Cali---keep the suggestions coming.

Thanks again!

Old 12-21-2006, 02:39 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,404,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Just a fun thread I figured Id start. I see some other forums have some fun threads, we might as well have one too! Just list some things about Illinois that make you proud to call this place home.

1. Standing 1,353 ft above downtown in the Sears Tower.
2. Strolling around Galena, listening to horse hooves click and clack on the brick streets.
3. Taking a bite out of a juicy Portillos Italian beef.
4. Walking through dense woods, following a heavy snowfall, it looks like a dream.
5. Pumpkin farms, hot apple cider and the smell of burning leaves in the fall.
6. Taking a drive along the Mississippi near Galena, smelling the crystal clean air, watching the eagles soar and admiring the beauty of the changing leaves.
7. Hiking down into Starved Rock State Park's many canyons, particularly in fall.
8. Standing atop the awesome rock formations at the Garden of the Gods State Park.
9. Feeling all the energy and buzz in downtown Chicago, admiring the architecture.
10. Entering through the turnstyles at Wrigley Field, something Ill never, ever tire of.
11. Stepping outside on a arctic night, the air so still that nothing seems to be alive, and seeing a bright moon reflecting off of crunchy snow. Very surreal!
12. Sitting next to a pool on a breezy, humid day.
13. Sitting along the Rock River in Oregon, listening to the water and watching deer.

What are some memories/activities that you do here that will forever give you memories/dreams about Illinois?
All of the above plus

Taste of Chicago
Taste of Crystal Lake
The people, can't beat Midwest folks
The hospitality
Timing how fast my sinus cavity freezes up in January (It's booger freezin weather )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois