Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 07:06 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,102,936 times

Advertisements

Would you leave IL for Wisconsin?

On average 40-50 families move to WI from IL a day. I think Chicago is a saving grace, without it who knows how IL would survive. What I am still surprised about is the lack of the IL state governemnt to make any adjustments to help it's financial situtation. It appears the can has been kicked down the road again.

Wisconsin beat IL 13 out of 14 categories, the 14th category is a biggie though...Income Tax Rate.

It's a very interesting read just checkout the numbers and stats:

https://www.badgerinstitute.org/BI-F...ration2019.pdf

Would you ever consider living in the Badger State?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 07:38 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,224,566 times
Quote:
State minimum wage (per hour)
Illinois has a higher minimum wage, so why would Wisconsin be a winning move for minimum wage people? That's one of the comparison on page 4 that doesn't fly. People would be getting a pay cut to move to Wisconsin.

Illinois does win on the top state income tax rate.

Another important measure is missing: Cost of living. What's the cost of living index for Wisconsin - Compare Milwaukee to Chicago, and Madison to Springfield.

Old 06-28-2019, 07:51 PM

233 posts, read 83,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post

On average 40-50 families move to WI from IL a day. I think Chicago is a saving grace, without it who knows how IL would survive. What I am still surprised about is the lack of the IL state governemnt to make any adjustments to help it's financial situtation. It appears the can has been kicked down the road again.

Wisconsin beat IL 13 out of 14 categories, the 14th category is a biggie though...Income Tax Rate.

Without Milwaukee, who knows how Wisconsin would survive? Same deal there. And no, I wouldn’t consider living in Wisconsin.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:26 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,545,887 times
Quote:

Outside of Lake Geneva and Delavan Lake, and maybe Door County, you can have the rest of Wisconsin. Really not interested. I almost hate to go there.

Old 06-28-2019, 09:03 PM

213 posts, read 165,993 times
Usually the salaries are much higher in Chicagoland + better companies
Overall I like WI and is a wonderful state to retire in a small town and enjoy simple life

Old 06-29-2019, 07:42 AM

638 posts, read 240,479 times
Quote:

I think Chicago is a saving grace, without it who knows how IL would survive.

Chicago is the reason Illinois is such a mess and why so many people are leaving.. without it we would be more like Iowa, while not as much to do, we would be a lot more fiscally responsible.

Old 06-29-2019, 07:52 AM

638 posts, read 240,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Illinois has a higher minimum wage, so why would Wisconsin be a winning move for minimum wage people? That's one of the comparison on page 4 that doesn't fly. People would be getting a pay cut to move to Wisconsin.

Another important measure is missing: Cost of living. What's the cost of living index for Wisconsin - Compare Milwaukee to Chicago, and Madison to Springfield.
Wisconsin isn't going after the people that make minimum wage, they are going after the business owners.. Indiana and Iowa are doing the same thing, which will slowly kill the Illinois economy.

Old 06-29-2019, 10:52 PM

246 posts, read 349,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post

Minimum wage is NOT a career. After 6 months on the job you should no longer be making Minimum wage if your worth a damn.....

Old 06-30-2019, 07:33 AM

207 posts, read 213,692 times
I have absolutely no desire to move to WI. If I'm leaving Chicagoland, I'm leaving the Midwest completely.

That being said, we have friends who sold their suburban Chicago house last year and converted their WI lake house into their full time residence. I think they were just done with IL taxes and wanted a slower pace of life. So far they LOVE it.

Old 06-30-2019, 07:36 AM

207 posts, read 213,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I almost hate to go there.
You sound like my father-in-law. Born and raised on the north side of Chicago. He HATES WI with a passion. Not sure why, but any time he has to cross the state line, there's profanity spewing from his mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois