Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 08:02 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,362,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
The people of IL. are brain dead enough already without adding a brain numbing drug to them. This is going to be a disaster here. Those 11,000 porky pardoned are nothing like the numbers that will get convicted on higher charges.
I always look forward to your philosophical, helpful, and inciteful posts. Creative words like "brain dead" "disaster" and "porky" flowing from that keyboard of yours. I look forward someday to the words "moving" and "see ya" from you and about 3 other brain trust philosophers who post constant complaints and negativity on the Illinois forum. Happy New Year, Sunshine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2020, 08:03 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,055,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
As an resident of Illinois, I resent being called brain dead. It sounds like you have all the answers. Run for office and get things the way they should be.

No point in running for office, 99.9% of you weed smokers keep electing the likes of durbin, duckworth, etc. back into office time and time again and nothing ever improves. This is only day 2, lets see how things are a year from now.

Old 01-02-2020, 08:11 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,464,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
That receipt is a bad example because they included concentrates (THC >35%) and infused to muddy the water. Stick with flower only and taxes will be reasonable. That's true that an eighth is ~$40 black market, but prices will come down. Prices were initially high in Colorado too, but I've heard that a legal ounce can now be had for less than $100.

Look at a map and note that every bordering state is still illegal. Illinois stands to make a killing here as money literally pours over the border!

I loathe Democrats, but this is one thing they actually got right, IMO.
Ok. I get accused of being a smart ass sometimes, but I really meant to post that to start a legit inquiry. I chose that receipt because it was instantly available is all.

If the prices'll come down, great! I just think it's going to be a complete disaster, particularly for neighborhoods which already have enough problems, if we keep a market open for black market weed by giving it a substantial price advantage. The State and Cook County State's Attorney have essentially given the green light to illegal pot sales, via direct pardons and by outright saying that they're not going to prosecute such crimes. So our street gangs would have a field day with a cheaper weed black market for lower income Chicagoans and those looking for bargains, which would likely have negative consequences for those of us who live in areas with gang activity!

** I'm not the greatest at logic this early, sorry about the earlier error! But even if we factor out the high 35% stuff, say that dispenseries get the cost down to $50 for 3.5 grams, which is the high end of the street cost. To that we would add a 1.75% medical tax, 2.5% local sales, 3% excise tax, 6.25% state sales tax, and a 2.9% recreational marijuana tax for less than 25% weed. That comes out to $8.20 in taxes on that hypothetical $50 weed sale.

I've been posting on here some time and my general impression is that this would be absolutely no big deal to 98% of you. Half of you probably tip that amount on two craft beers. But I think that might be a lot of money to a low income regular weed user, especially over time. And if the "base price" doesn't come down to street level, the temptation for some to seek out tax free options will be even greater. Hopefully, the state realizes this and takes strong efforts to deter black market sales.

Last edited by BRU67; 01-02-2020 at 08:39 AM..

Old 01-02-2020, 08:21 AM

629 posts, read 544,069 times
I love the idea of legalized weed but can't get over the ridiculous promotion of degeneracy and vice taxes that gov fat cat is pouring on all the residents of the state

Old 01-02-2020, 08:33 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,485,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Ok. I get accused of being a smart ass sometimes, but I really meant to post that to start a legit inquiry. I chose that receipt because it was instantly available is all.

If the prices'll come down, great! I just think it's going to be a complete disaster, particularly for neighborhoods which already have enough problems, if we keep a market open for black market weed by giving it a substantial price advantage. The State and Cook County State's Attorney have essentially given the green light to illegal pot sales, via direct pardons and by outright saying that they're not going to prosecute such crimes. So our street gangs would have a field day with a cheaper weed black market for lower income Chicagoans and those looking for bargains, which would likely have negative consequences for those of us who live in areas with gang activity!

** But the effective tax rate will still be 34% right? That's still a bit concerning to me because the weed itself is gonna need to get awful cheap to deter black market sales.
The effective tax rate for flower as I understand it would be around 20% (10% MJ state, 6.25% state sales and up to 3% local). So that $64.75 eighth in the receipt would be taxed at $13, making it around $78 out the door.

I believe the black market will thrive for now, but legalization is a step in the right direction. As prices come down and stabilize, profit margins will become too low for gangs so they'll move on to higher profit activities. How many of us would choose to buy our booze or tobacco via black market today? I believe the same holds true for marijuana in the future, but for now we sail through a turbulent transition period.

Old 01-02-2020, 08:45 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,362,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smegmatite View Post
I love the idea of legalized weed but can't get over the ridiculous promotion of degeneracy and vice taxes that gov fat cat is pouring on all the residents of the state
First you complain about higher real estate taxes, now you complain about a user tax on marijuana that will increase revenue from not only Illinoisans but over multiple states in the surrounding area. Rauner had zero ideas, ZERO, and was successful in passing nothing but stalemates, but the whiners keep on whining. States like Colorado made a killing and boomed as a result. Get real.

Old 01-02-2020, 08:54 AM

Quote:
The effective tax rate for flower as I understand it would be around 20% (10% MJ state, 6.25% state sales and up to 3% local). So that $64.75 eighth in the receipt would be taxed at $13, making it around $78 out the door.

I believe the black market will thrive for now, but legalization is a step in the right direction. As prices come down and stabilize, profit margins will become too low for gangs so they'll move on to higher profit activities. How many of us would choose to buy our booze or tobacco via black market today? I believe the same holds true for marijuana in the future, but for now we sail through a turbulent transition period.
I fear it's going to be a lot more turbulent for some (poorer people in struggling neighborhoods with gangs) than others (rich people with nice clean dispensaries). I am worried and wish this had been more thought out and less seat of the pants.

Old 01-02-2020, 09:03 AM

629 posts, read 544,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
First you complain about higher real estate taxes, now you complain about a user tax on marijuana that will increase revenue from not only Illinoisans but over multiple states in the surrounding area. Rauner had zero ideas, ZERO, and was successful in passing nothing but stalemates, but the whiners keep on whining. States like Colorado made a killing and boomed as a result. Get real.
I will bet you every single dollar I have that weed taxes aren't going to do squat to curb real estate tax increases!

Old 01-02-2020, 09:04 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,485,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
I fear it's going to be a lot more turbulent for some (poorer people in struggling neighborhoods with gangs) than others (rich people with nice clean dispensaries). I am worried and wish this had been more thought out and less seat of the pants.
Is it perfect? No, but I don't think it could have been done much better. Looks like a good chunk of tax revenue flows back into the communities. The link below describes the taxes and where they go.

*Warning, this is an MJ centric site so I'd avoid hitting it from work. At the least, use incognito/private mode so it doesn't end up in your browsing history.

https://www.leafly.com/news/industry...ere-money-goes

"For example, the 25% Criminal Justice allocation goes to a program dubbed Restore, Reinvest, Renew (R3), good for tens of millions of dollars in grants to community groups to decrease gun violence and concentrated poverty."

Old 01-02-2020, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Is it perfect? No, but I don't think it could have been done much better. Looks like a good chunk of tax revenue flows back into the communities. The link below describes the taxes and where they go.

*Warning, this is an MJ centric site so I'd avoid hitting it from work. At the least, use ingonito/private mode so it doesn't end up in your browsing history.

https://www.leafly.com/news/industry...ere-money-goes
How about strict law enforcement and prosecution against illegal cannabis sales? LOL! Good luck hearing that message from our current State, City, and County governments.

And forgive my cynicism towards yet another do-gooder program. Money talks and programs walk, as I say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois