Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2020, 04:16 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,851,773 times

Advertisements

BTW, we had our highest case count ever today, over 4,000. Like 3 times New York

UGH- I hate this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 11:50 AM

1,067 posts, read 916,122 times
It's interesting how others insult yet contradict themselves in their own statements and provide no solutions. I'd rather have logical discussions and encourage those of you to stop being fearful and start embracing sense and logic before the economic destruction gets way worse.

- We are never going to shelter our way out of this (look at countries that are shutting back down due to new clusters)

- We are never going to have mass testing and contact tracing for 330 million people.

- A vaccine is 18 months to 2 years away (if at all) so we have to learn to live with this.

- A one size fits all shut down approach will never work. Sweden and South Dakota staying open and just giving citizens information to make informed decisions on their own is the best approach. Open everything up. Encourage those aged 0-50 to get back to work cause their likelihood of dying is less than 0.01%. And those 50+ can do whatever they feel comfortable with. Live life to the fullest with greater than 95+% chance of survival...if not and too scared...cool...continue to shelter at home but let the rest of us get on with our lives.

- Finally, I work in finance - restructuring and turnaround. We have never been busier and phones are ringing off the hook. I hope you all understand the wave of bankruptcies that are set to wash through and destroy this economy once CARES, PPP, and other stimulus dries up. We have to open NOW.

Old 05-13-2020, 11:59 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
BTW, we had our highest case count ever today, over 4,000. Like 3 times New York

UGH- I hate this.
Yes, it is unfortunate. That will extend the duration of being shutdown; likely for months more.

Old 05-13-2020, 01:37 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,876,931 times
dtc, I mainly agree - but as long as anyone who tests positive is still a workplace pariah, you will have huge amounts of unemployment, no matter how many people die.

You yourself said it: No vaccine, and can't shelter our way out of it, and new clusters appearing. The virus does not discriminate based on age when it comes to infecting you.

You can expect more unemployment in the future weeks and months - but there will be no one to blame this time except biology.

Meantime - lots of that under 50 crowd STILL lives with mom and dad - so the death count will keep rising, regardless.

I get it, the urge to rip the bandaid off and try to save the economy - but you have to face the fact that it may not be possible, and may have never been possible. Once this 'starting up' ALSO fails - then what?

Old 05-13-2020, 09:46 PM

1,067 posts, read 916,122 times
I am so proud of the conservative Supreme Court in Wisconsin for overturning the governor's stay at home order. I wish Illinois had conservative leadership that would do the same. Look at these stats from Wisconsin DHS...does it line up with what I've been saying all along?!?!?!?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/13/polit...der/index.html

Old 05-14-2020, 06:21 AM

3,496 posts, read 2,187,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
I am so proud of the conservative Supreme Court in Wisconsin for overturning the governor's stay at home order. I wish Illinois had conservative leadership that would do the same. Look at these stats from Wisconsin DHS...does it line up with what I've been saying all along?!?!?!?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/13/polit...der/index.html
I’m sure it’s going to work out great for Wisconsin. Seems like they have a real plan for reopening!

https://wkow.com/2020/05/14/crowded-...n-struck-down/

Old 05-14-2020, 06:42 AM

Even conservatives’ shining example of keeping the economy open (Sweden) is smart enough NOT to do what Wisconsin bars did yesterday and will continue to do, undoubtedly. Americans aren’t the smartest bunch.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/newsbeat...-and-bars-open

Old 05-14-2020, 06:44 AM

4,636 posts, read 3,252,251 times
YAY for me in Wisconsin!

Now, the question: WHEN will I be able to come back to my weekend visits to Chicago?

Old 05-14-2020, 07:26 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,361,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
I’m sure it’s going to work out great for Wisconsin. Seems like they have a real plan for reopening!

https://wkow.com/2020/05/14/crowded-...n-struck-down/
Unbelievable. Let's pretend the virus isn't there, or that some good alcohol will kill it. Maybe Wisconsin will be the canary in the coalmine, but with our rate soaring, I wouldn't want to be the canary.This whole thing sucks, but making it worse is crazy. I was watching a doctor in a hospital who was a NBC correspondent who got it on a flight to New Orleans on TV, and he had a mask and gloves on and was really careful. Being in a bar with a bunch of careless drunks is a recipe for disaster, way more than usual now.

As for the idiotic comment about 50 year olds and the cavalier attitude on the loss of life, my view is that perhaps this virus will weed out the less intelligent among us.

Old 05-14-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Unbelievable. Let's pretend the virus isn't there, or that some good alcohol will kill it. Maybe Wisconsin will be the canary in the coalmine, but with our rate soaring, I wouldn't want to be the canary.This whole thing sucks, but making it worse is crazy. I was watching a doctor in a hospital who was a NBC correspondent who got it on a flight to New Orleans on TV, and he had a mask and gloves on and was really careful. Being in a bar with a bunch of careless drunks is a recipe for disaster, way more than usual now.

As for the idiotic comment about 50 year olds and the cavalier attitude on the loss of life, my view is that perhaps this virus will weed out the less intelligent among us.
This is worth 35 seconds of everyone’s time. I imagine a crowded bar operating like “business as usual” isn’t dissimilar from this buffet experiment.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Johnny_su...86799851376641
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois