Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 02:33 PM

21 posts, read 60,734 times

Advertisements

Haha Renee,
I see what you mean..I am so bummed that Bloomington isn’t closer to Macomb, then I’d be able to make my decision in a second, its the perfect city in terms of smaller town balance and activities. I already have a connection with couple of teachers at WIU though and hate to sacrifice that since I don’t really know anything about the program at ISU..I didn’t expect to like this class so much. I really want to make an educated decision but I’ll need to visit first. Do you know anything about Monmouth? Or Burlington Io.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2021, 03:49 PM

29 posts, read 106,480 times
You should go to the place you think you'll feel best about. College, even at a state university, is too expensive, and your happiness/mental health during it too important, to go to the wrong school. If you're happier, you'll do better, and if you do better, more doors will be opened to you in your future after college.

Old 02-13-2021, 11:42 PM

111 posts, read 95,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoptherideimayhurl View Post
I tried posting about Macomb in a previous post and no one has responded..I’ve been accepted to WIU for their music program-coming from West coast suburbs but not unfamiliar with small town living. Due to the pandemic the school has offered some classes online relevant to my field of study and I’ve had the opportunity to develop a rapport with a couple of teachers in my program. So far I really like my class and my teacher is awesome..but the more I research Macomb, the less attractive it is..It looks like a pretty town, but there isn’t much going on there..are there any cities other than Galesburg and Peoria within a commutable distance that have more going on?? I have been to Bloomington and like it, but that is too far for a daily commute or even a few days a week. I’m not trashing small towns or anything, just trying to find a livable balance. I am not looking to party but for some decent local culture,character,etc.
thanks.
I have been at WIU for the past 3 years. I found most of the apts. in Macomb to be either over priced or run down crap. I chose to live in Bushnell. It is small town about 20 minutes away. I am glad with my choice, but running into macomb to shop is 20 minutes there and 20 back, which is a little annoying. Peoria is realistically a 45 -60 minute drive with traffic. There really isn't any culture. I would also estimate that at least half (HALF) of the student body are "chicago" students....these are students that start classes at the beginning of every semester until they get their Pell/Map?stafford money and then drop all of their courses. Every semester, in every class, at least half of the students in any given course will drop halfway through...EVERY SEMESTER. Crime in certain parts of the town are worse than others as well (the areas nearest the college). As to local culture etc....just no. This is rural, downstate, Western IL....ie) forgotonia, unless meth is your thing.

Old 03-19-2021, 03:47 PM

899 posts, read 671,293 times
I drove through there about 5 years ago. This was on "How the States Got Their Shapes."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUp8RC7-_wI

Not much out that way. We like quirky stuff, and stopped in Quincy and Nauvoo on our way back to Texas. Once was enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois