Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 07:41 PM

211 posts, read 394,715 times

Advertisements

...more people leaving Illinois, than any other state except New Jersey...

More people moving out of Illinois | abc7chicago.com

Old 01-09-2013, 12:38 AM

5,457 posts, read 8,173,150 times
From the abc7 article: "It shows Illinois trails only New Jersey in the number of residents making an exodus in 2012."

The person who wrote the article didn't understand the survey which isn't about absolute numbers of people moving in or out. It's about percentages - what percent of movers in each state are moving in, and what percent are moving out.

Although a slightly higher percentage of Illinois movers vs. New York movers are moving out, in absolute numbers, because of its larger population, more New Yorkers are moving out.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:50 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,254,914 times
Mega cities always show a higher move rate, anyway, due to a dense population.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:07 AM

It's an old journalist used trick to sell newpapers: "If it bleeds i leads".

Old 01-18-2013, 01:12 PM

297 posts, read 794,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
It's an old journalist used trick to sell newpapers: "If it bleeds i leads".
I think you are misunderstanding the old "If it bleeds, it leads" quote. That means if a story involves death, horrible accident, freaky mishap resulting in injury, etc., it "leads" or goes on the front page. People love reading about that stuff.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled forum.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:31 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,737,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGyrl View Post
...if a story involves death, horrible accident, freaky mishap resulting in injury, etc., it "leads" or goes on the front page. People love reading about that stuff.
Interesting. Now, I understand why some people say, "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised".

Old 01-18-2013, 03:16 PM

I am not misunderstanding anything. I been reading newspapers for 65-years. It was very true before the Internet and the intense competition to be the FIRST to print it and thereby increase ranking and advertising income. Now media entertainment that pretends to offer new information in the guise of news will grab any piece of fluff and spin it into a shocking headline.

Oh my God the sky is falling! Illinois is losing more residents than Wherever USA!! Compared to what? Does it take into account how many new residents are moving into Chicago that do not use commercial movers? It is very easy to compile the data provided by national movers but it says little about the others. Does it include U-Haul? Just because I rent a truck one-way to Iowa does not mean I am moving out of Illinois.

Don't get too excited until the population is balanced between Cook County and the rest of the state. It ain't gonna happen very soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGyrl View Post
I think you are misunderstanding the old "If it bleeds, it leads" quote. That means if a story involves death, horrible accident, freaky mishap resulting in injury, etc., it "leads" or goes on the front page. People love reading about that stuff.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled forum.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:00 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,737,747 times
The young man knows the rules, but the old man knows the exceptions ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes

Old 01-18-2013, 05:03 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,511,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublenickels View Post
...more people leaving Illinois, than any other state except New Jersey...

More people moving out of Illinois | abc7chicago.com
And everyone of them is welcomed in Indiana
Low taxes/low cost of living and real estate
Fiscally sound state.
5th best business climate in the country and 1st in the midwest.
over 30 major businesses have moved to Indiana from Illinois in the past 1.5 years since the tax hike
Indianapolis is the fastest growing city in the midwest. Good chunk of that growth comes from Illinois and Michigan.
oh did i mention our state continues to create a record number of jobs? more and more people are finding out you can get a job in Indiana as opposed to Illinois.
For Truck drivers Indiana is within a days drive to 80% of the US population.
Hoosier Hospitality.
Finally the most Successful Super Bowl was held in Indianapolis. Indy is bidding again for Super Bowl 52 and Chicago has yet to host a Super Bowl. let alone a successful one.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:27 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Indianapolis is the fastest growing city in the midwest.
lol nope. nope it's not, but good for you for trying to lie about it again!

Also, with the just earth-shatteringly ~*wonderful*~ business climate of Indiana vs. Illinois, you'd think there'd be more than a 0.5% unemployment difference between the two and Illinois wouldn't have nearly 6x the number of Fortune 500 companies...

Last edited by Maintainschaos; 01-18-2013 at 08:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois