Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2022, 11:08 PM

7 posts, read 16,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
This is an astute observation, and can be broadly generalized to the Great Lakes region as a whole (in addition to parts of the Northeast, particularly New England). You tend to find a more old school “Democrat-Republican” divide rather than a newer school “Liberal-Conservative” divide. Meaning, it is a lot less polarized at the extremes like you will see in many other regions of the country. You won’t find as many neighborhoods or towns where you are completely ostracized for being in a certain political party.
Well, this is interesting, indeed. Like the OP, I am coming from the Bible Belt where the Republicans are Trump cultists and largely Q followers. People literally cover their houses in Trump/rebel flags, and it takes a special kind of courage to display a yard sign for a democrat. In a "metro" area of around 6000, in my comings and goings, I saw ONE Biden sign. Most Dems keep a very low profile.

We were literally assaulted at the polls one year because we requested the D primary ballot. (Open primaries.) Called "demon possessed" and other less savory things and shoved.

Mind you, there are some folks you can debate with in a friendly way, but they are the minority. I have been terrified to look in the more red Illinois counties, because I don't want the dog poisoned - which happens down here. Maybe I will relook some of the homes I liked but rejected because of the voting demographic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2022, 10:19 AM

78,350 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatkhat View Post
I have been terrified to look in the more red Illinois counties, because I don't want the dog poisoned - which happens down here. Maybe I will relook some of the homes I liked but rejected because of the voting demographic.
You came to the table with some really inaccurate assumptions. I have family that are die hard democrats in rural Illinois and nobody is poisoning pets etc. That's insane stuff.

Well you could always look into some of the heavily democratic areas of the state since that's such a deal breaker for you.

East St. Louis is mostly democratic voting and would have some low cost housing options.

Gig delivery work in that area could be a little "bullety" though.

Old 07-12-2022, 09:04 AM

1,304 posts, read 854,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatkhat View Post
Well, this is interesting, indeed. Like the OP, I am coming from the Bible Belt where the Republicans are Trump cultists and largely Q followers. People literally cover their houses in Trump/rebel flags, and it takes a special kind of courage to display a yard sign for a democrat. In a "metro" area of around 6000, in my comings and goings, I saw ONE Biden sign. Most Dems keep a very low profile.

We were literally assaulted at the polls one year because we requested the D primary ballot. (Open primaries.) Called "demon possessed" and other less savory things and shoved.

Mind you, there are some folks you can debate with in a friendly way, but they are the minority. I have been terrified to look in the more red Illinois counties, because I don't want the dog poisoned - which happens down here. Maybe I will relook some of the homes I liked but rejected because of the voting demographic.
This is interesting and I'm wondering how many people, due to the political climate and recent Supreme Court decision, are looking to move out of red states, which seem to be getting redder. I, too, am looking to head out of my red state in the next year. Thinking about Illinois, as it is not too far of a move. I will never live in a red state again. Any suggestions for decent areas that are not too expensive would be appreciated! Not all that familiar with Illinois, unfortunately. Moved to Ohio from the West Coast 3.5 years ago when I retired thinking it was politically middle of the road, but that seems to be changing rapidly. Would obviously prefer mid to northern sections of the state, although it looks like Carbondale might be doable. Just throwing this out there.......

Old 07-12-2022, 09:29 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,179,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
This is interesting and I'm wondering how many people, due to the political climate and recent Supreme Court decision, are looking to move out of red states, which seem to be getting redder. I, too, am looking to head out of my red state in the next year. Thinking about Illinois, as it is not too far of a move. I will never live in a red state again. Any suggestions for decent areas that are not too expensive would be appreciated! Not all that familiar with Illinois, unfortunately. Moved to Ohio from the West Coast 3.5 years ago when I retired thinking it was politically middle of the road, but that seems to be changing rapidly. Would obviously prefer mid to northern sections of the state, although it looks like Carbondale might be doable. Just throwing this out there.......
What are your needs in terms of work, school, housing budget, etc?

Old 07-15-2022, 05:19 PM

525 posts, read 718,499 times
I am also considering a move back to the Midwest. I am originally from Missouri but I cannot live there due to state politics. Illinois seems to be a good fit for me politically.

I am just wondering about Jacksonville, IL outside Springfield because there is finally a job opening in my field there in Illinois. How is the town overall? Is it at least charming with cute downtown? Are the residents friendly and kept to themselves when it comes to religion and politics?

Old 07-16-2022, 12:13 PM

1,624 posts, read 1,707,876 times
I was born and raised in Bloomington/Normal. Went to college at WIU (Macomb), ISU (Bloomington) and U of IL (Champaign). Visited Chicago many times and lived there for a year. I've been to Peoria, Springfield, Charleston, Carbondale, Moline, Rockford etc. Things to consider when moving to IL: the lousy weather, cost of living and taxes. Renting for a while before buying is always a good idea. Make sure you know what the property taxes are before you buy a house, they are very high in most places. I spent most of my life in Champaign (many years of college and worked for the U of IL for 32 years). It has a lot of things to do (music, arts, sports, restaurants) and the U of IL is a big factor in that. Bloomington/Normal has two colleges (ISU and Illinois Wesleyan University). Bloomington has gone downhill, Normal has gotten much nicer, but they are so close together, they are essentially one city. I like what big cities have to offer (Chicago and St. Louis), but they're not for everyone and crime and cost of living are major problems. I was very happy to leave Illinois, the only place I miss is Chicago because it's so beautiful (architecture) and has so many world class aspects to it (museums, music, art, restaurants).

If I was planning to move to IL, I'd spend some time in Champaign, Bloomington/Normal and Springfield. Add St. Louis and Chicago areas if you want what big cities have to offer. You can live in suburban areas and go to the city if and when you so desire. Chicago area generally has cooler summers than most of the rest of the state which is nice. Summers can be hot and humid and winters can be brutal everywhere in IL. Finding a house to rent similar to what you have now (price/size) will be a challenge.

Last edited by movin1; 07-16-2022 at 01:18 PM..

Old 07-20-2022, 02:01 PM

51 posts, read 72,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Illinois is very conservative outside of the Chicagoland area and the Champaign-Urbana area, so I'm not sure what you would be gaining by moving from TN to IL. You probably already know this, but most parts of Illinois are losing population and for good reason. It's a boring state with high taxes. At least Tennessee has nice nature and a low cost of living.

If you are looking for a low cost, safe state where people won't bother you for being a Democrat, look into Iowa or Wisconsin. These states still tend to be more conservative, but they aren't Bible Belt Tennessee conservative.
Well, this post gives the obvious answer. Champaign-Urbana. The cost of living is cheap af, and their are lots of amenities because of a world class university.

Old 07-23-2022, 02:48 PM

1,624 posts, read 1,707,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twb0392 View Post
Well, this post gives the obvious answer. Champaign-Urbana. The cost of living is cheap af, and their are lots of amenities because of a world class university.
I lived in C-U from 1974 - 2013. Cost of living is not cheap, rent is high and property taxes are absurdly high if you own a home.

Old 07-29-2022, 08:19 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times
When I lived in Kansas City, I frequently drove across Illinois to visit family in Indiana. One thing I will say about “downstate” Illinois, having taken multiple routes (I-80, I-70, I-55, I-74, and even some back roads) is that the roads are overall very well maintained and the small towns also seem very well taken-care of for the most part. I haven’t been to some of the far southern areas but most areas did have a nicer feel to them, unlike most areas in Indiana, Missouri, and even some areas in Iowa. Of course, this was just the areas I drove through as well.

I’d like to think that the people of Illinois are at least getting something for the higher taxes.

Old 07-30-2022, 01:06 AM

85 posts, read 94,864 times
I don't want to sound like a jerk here, but have you considered getting a section 8 apartment? I think at the $800 / month price level, you are competing against a lot of "displaced", citizenship-challenged people. Gig jobs offer flexibility. Only earn so much income and then earn the rest in cash. You should be able to do a lot better and probably move into Chicago neighborhoods. Manage your income levels so they fall below federal guidelines. Chicago proper is a much higher cost of living area so the income levels are much higher. You say you have pets, you can "gig" as a dog walker and pull in enough side cash to live comfortably.

If you move to Wisconsin as other posters have mentioned, you would probably only feel comfortable in Madison or the urban west or north sides of Milwaukee. You should probably sell your Kia's though. :-)

I kind of think the original poster is trolling here though. My advice is legitimate sadly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois