Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2022, 09:33 PM

42 posts, read 129,659 times

Advertisements

I have lived in northern Illinois for over 50 years and have worked in nearly every corner of the state. In talking with people from every walk of life here, the common thread I find is that almost all non-Chicagoans really don't like being referred to as "downstate" or "down staters". The sentiment seems to be "We're from the Great City, the rest of you are just a bunch of rubes."

So what's everyone's opinion on the term "downstate"? Does anyone else get tired of "up staters" thinking Illinois revolves around them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2022, 06:45 PM

3,049 posts, read 3,317,957 times
It can get ridiculous when you count northern IL cities like DeKalb, Rockford, Freeport, the Quad Cities. As the development moves west maybe the city ends with Fox River cities of Elgin, St Charles, Geneva, Batavia, St Charles. Good question about Plainfield, Yorkville, Oswego.

Old 11-06-2022, 07:24 PM

219 posts, read 135,693 times
It refers to geography. Same way people call northern northern NY , upstate NY or parts of northern Michigan, upper peninsula. If you're below Springfield than you're down state aka downstater.

Old 11-06-2022, 08:33 PM

720 posts, read 1,085,194 times
I always thought of downstate as anything south of I-80. Not sure where I'd put the western marker. Probably at 39, or maybe west of Dekalb/Sycamore.

Old 11-07-2022, 01:19 AM

198 posts, read 236,196 times
The correct reply to anyone who says they're "from the city" is "Oh, I'm sorry."

Old 11-07-2022, 12:41 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,854,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caglee View Post
The correct reply to anyone who says they're "from the city" is "Oh, I'm sorry."
Ha! I got this when I was in South Carolina last month. And I almost turned around and choked him out.

Nobody should denigrate where someone else lives or comes from. Ever. If you do, you are a douchebag.

Old 11-07-2022, 10:35 PM

219 posts, read 135,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caglee View Post
83% of Americans live in urban areas. That number has been increasing. Be prepared to say that a lot.

Old 11-08-2022, 07:02 AM

2,195 posts, read 1,854,599 times
People who live in other states love to rip on Chicago. It's pathetic.

Meanwhile, I enjoy some of the best food, drink, and entertainment options in the world at reasonable prices. I stare out my office window at stunning Lake Michigan and a beautiful skyline. I'm within 30 minutes of two international airports, have local news channels that serve my immediate community, can walk three blocks and see beautiful Christmas decorations for the holidays lining the streets. I take the good with the bad.

Just like anywhere else.

People generally live where they want to live. If someone lives in a small town "downstate" or in a tornado town in Kansas, I do not say "I'm sorry" despite not wanting to live there myself. It's insulting to their core and to who they are.

This goes for anyone and where they live. They are there for a reason and if someone makes fun of it or talks down on where they are from/live, they are a complete bastard and not someone I want to associate with.

Old 11-08-2022, 08:26 AM

4,648 posts, read 3,260,261 times
Kmanshouse, those darn Wisconsinites sure do rip on Chicago, and I'm definitely one of them!

I think your paragraph starting, " Meanwhile I enjoy..." sums up all the PROS of Chicago living. And YES, taking the good with the bad is an understandable and balanced approach.

Old 11-08-2022, 01:47 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,761,220 times
I spent the first 13 years of my life growing up in a neighborhood that back in its day, was like "Leave It To Beaver". I don't know how many here are well over retirement age as I am (old enough to remember) good old Richard J Daley when HE ran the show in Chicago. Yeah it may not have been perfection, but man when something needed doing he'd wave his hand and BAM it got DONE! like NOW!. The police did their job back then as did most all the municipal forces. They coped well with the 67 blizzard I endured as a teen cleaning up the streets.

Back then (believe it or not) there were no gang members or threats of violence IN the Manor (one's fist was about the most potent thing used as a weapon). Heck it wasn't until Richard Speck went and killed those poor nurses in our neighborhood (Jeffrey Manor) most folks didn't even lock their doors most of the time. But by the time 1967 rolled around Bown High School, the school I would have ended up attending the year after my grade school graduation had started becoming a bit of a war zone importing hispanics, blacks and just about everything gang associated.

My parents best friends/back fence neighbors, convinced my parents to make the move to save me from the violence I would face going into High School. So they moved us up to Highland Park. Talk about dodging a bullet. I ended up befriending some guys at Ft. Sheridan and we formed a rock band. It provided 3 years of great fun growing up without strife. Meanwhile Jeffrey Manor got flushed down a bad toilet as most all the folks that had grown up there or had their first homes after WWII left for greener (safer) pastures.

I won't rant on folks anymore, that have chosen to continue to live in or near the city of Chicago any further. Kmanshouse got the point across. Its all about what a person is willing to "tolerate" is how I'd put it. I for one have NO desire to every have to look over my shoulder worrying about my welfare. To suggest living in Chicago doesn't come with that territory is in shear denial. But I digress. I moved away from the Midwest in 1978. Spent 3 years initially in Salt Lake City then a good job offer in the SF Bay area brought me there with what was then my new wife. we spent 10 years there till the cost of living skyrocketed out of control. Moving back to the Salt Lake City area in 93 we noted there were then many gangs imported from LA at that time. But I took on a job where it was all about travel by car from Ohio to the West Coast. I enjoyed the travel to all the states I'd visit. And it gave me an opportunity to visit my folks who were still alive. In 2004 we'd built a home and I was then off the road. But as Salt Lake City began to boom in population, it brought back too many memories of living in a congested area

Sure Kmanshouse, I get it, the restaurants and other facilities in a populated area can be a real luxury. But not everyone wants to pay the price to have them, I guess. So once again we moved from Salt Lake to a nice rural area in Idaho where there are never any traffic jams. Most folks know who you are and likewise. Your neighbors look out for you and you for them. It's the first time since the 50's and 60's growing up in the Manor that life has been like this. And I plan on spending the remaining years I have this way. I wish you all that have decided to tough it out in your city environs lots of luck. Most of us are well aware of the trends of our country and it's not looking too promising. So, hunker down and enjoy the food when you can. Sorry for the ramble, just thought I'd leave you with those thoughts and understanding why I've been such a grumbler for so long. I won't bother any further so you can chill out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois