Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 07:53 PM

7 posts, read 21,499 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Los Angeles. My boyfriend is in prison in Hillsboro, Illinois. He is getting out soon and I now want to move there to "set up house" for us. Also, he could use the visits from me, as he has been real depressed from not seeing me in such a long time. So, here is my dilema: Out here in Los Angeles, I don't need a car, as public transportation is very reliable and dependable here. From what i know of Hillsboro, it is a very small country town with no public transportation. At this time in my life, I cannot afford to purchase a car, as i have three small children and money is very tight. Therefore, my question is, does anyone know how I can go about living in Hillsboro with my small children, without a car, when there is no public transportation there? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Old 02-03-2007, 11:16 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
In short... unless you know someone there with a car who's willing to cart you around, it really can't be done. Bite the bullet and buy a car. Just get something cheap for a few hundred bucks that can get you around town.

Old 02-04-2007, 07:59 AM

Thank you for getting back to me. I know that you're right. I know i definately need a car when it is SUCH a small city there. But a good, running car is expensive and also expensive to maintain, plus there is the cost of insurance, and gas and etc. Having three small children, and being a single mom, it is just out of my budget right now, as i only have a minimum wage job. What a problem this is! I just don't know what to do. My boyfriend misses me and the children as well. And the children miss him just the same and I so much had intentions on moving out there to Hillsboro. Is there any city that is CLOSE to hillsboro that has public transportation? I would also need a city that at least has day care programs for my kids while I am at work. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:22 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,745,129 times
Drover is right. Hillsboro is a small town and no public transportation and the correctional center complex is not close to downtown. There isn't much there to find work either except about 4 gas stations, a few food places, a couple of doctor offices I think and the small hospital and nursing facilities. But there are lots of churches. Litchfield is 10 miles away but they have suffered some business closures in the last years with milnot and then ChilliMan Chili moving thus employment oppotunities aren't the best there either. Of course there are probably jobs at Walmart and the other hotels and food establishments along I-55 in Litchfield. Always remember rural Illinois is totally different than a large city like Los Angeles. And the weather is pretty cold in the winter compared to where you are.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:07 PM

260 posts, read 1,145,394 times
Believe it or not, I think she could make a go of it. I'm familiar with several towns that size, granted there isn't the opportunity you find elsewhere, but I think you can live there and not have a car. Quite a number of people in Paxton (which is about the size of Hillsboro) get about on bicycles and work locally. Once she is set up in Illinois she can see about getting a car. In the meantime, she can join one of the churches there, folks will help out other church members if approached right.

Old 02-04-2007, 10:18 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
I don't know that getting around with a bicycle is terribly practical when you have to haul kids back and forth to day care and/or school. But the church angle is a good one. I don't enough about Hillsboro to know if they have any churches with the resources to haul people around as needed, but it's something to look into. It's not uncommon for a church to have a van to haul folks around from place to place; particularly the elderly, but perhaps the indigent as well.

Additionally, I know there are some ministries that specialize in transporting folks to visit their incarcerated family members. Unfortunately for Illinoiskisses I think they are primarily based in Chicago, but it might be worth looking into and I bring it up in the hopes that another forum viewer would have more complete information. Best wishes to Illinoiskisses.

Old 02-05-2007, 09:59 AM

A town the size of Hillsboro usually covers about two square miles, the bicycle in a place that size is a convenience, but it isn't really a necessity. Here in Paxton, I live right in the center of downtown. If I wanted to, I could easily walk to the edge of town (and view cornfields) within ten minutes. In fact, if I didn't have a job in a neighboring town, I would seldom use my car at all. On my days off it usually sits parked. Most things I need can be purchased locally, the only problem I may have is finding the proper shoes for work. Shoes are available at the local dollar stores, but not in the style my work calls for. If I lived in Hillsboro I might not even have that problem- some towns which are more remote from major shopping areas (Gibson City comes to mind) have much better shopping available locally than Paxton does. If I lived there, and had a job in that town I would seldom have a need to leave for anywhere else- I could buy everything I needed locally, or in a pinch, order it and have it sent in.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:50 PM

well, it was certainly entertaining, to say the least, to see the two of you argueing (playfully) over me! Ha! now regarding both your suggestions, well.....they both just are no good. hahaa. the bicycle idea will NOT work, not when i have a 2 year old, a 3 year old, and a 5 year old! the church thing wont work because i havent stepped foot in one since i had been in high school and i would feel like satan just going to a church asking them to "help" when i am not even religious at all whatsoever. as for your dollar shoes comment, HEY, i shop there too! we have those stores out here too! LOVE THEM! enough said! hahaa. now if we can get back to the matter at hand, i would appreciate it! i still need HELP over here! thanks!

Old 02-05-2007, 11:33 PM

Usefull links- http://www.hillsboroillinois.net ; http://www.hillsborochamber.net ;
http://www.thejournal-news.net .

When do you plan on making the move? I fully expect that you will make the move, otherwise you wouldn't have felt the calling to do so.

Old 02-06-2007, 01:43 PM

i plan on moving to the hillsboro area on march 1st. one way or the other! hillsboro or bust! hahaa. no seriously, march 1st is when i want to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
View detailed profiles of: