Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 08:36 AM

2 posts, read 5,380 times

Advertisements

I just found this forum, and I sure hope someone out there can help me. I currently live in Michigan but I have received a great job offer to work in Durand Il. I have been desperately searching (via internet) for a rental home within a 30 mile radius of Durand. I am having little or no luck with my search. I'm afraid the offer for the job will not hold out if I don't find something SOON.
I have only managed to find one source for listing rentals that I can access via the internet and it isn't giving me many good leads. Every time I try to call a listed phone # I get a machine. I leave messages but never get any response , I guess due to people not wanting to incur long distance phone charges or some such. I thought I had the perfect place lined up last week and even made plans to go visit it, only to get the news that it had already been rented. I could use some good advice on how to go about finding and actually sealing a deal on a rental, if anyone has any experience to share.
I am looking to rent (because I own a home here also, and don't think I can get another mortgage) a two bedroom (or larger) single family home. I need at least a one car garage. And I have 2 dogs (both are older and well house trained). If anyone knows of any sources where I can look for rental listings, or if anyone knows someone thats looking to rent out such a property PLEASE respond. I am hoping to AVOID Rockford altogether so Roscoe, Rockton, S. Beloit, Shirland, Davis, Durand or Machesney Park are the areas I've been looking for.
Thanks in advance for all help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 10:25 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
if you're looking within a 30-mile radius, that includes three small metropolitan areas including Rockford in IL and Beloit & Janesville in WI. I'd suggest you start looking for listings in their respective newspapers online. Be cautious in the west side of Rockford and in much of Freeport. Most of Beloit and Janesville are at least inhabitable, even their run-down sections.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:32 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
I wouldn't necessarily avoid all of Rockport. That's probably your best bet for rentals, but be careful of the area. there are some fins spots in the city- i.e. the east side. I don't know that much about specific areas, but if you search for Rockford on this forum you'll find out better specifics.

Last edited by aragx6; 02-18-2008 at 10:32 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-18-2008, 10:47 AM

What/Where is Rockport?

Old 02-18-2008, 10:52 AM

Ha... my bad... I need more sleep

Old 02-18-2008, 10:54 AM

Well, were you referring to Rockford, or Freeport, or neither?

And I'm not sure if you're referring to my post or not; I certainly didn't mean to say (and don't think I implied) that anyone should avoid "all of" any place.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:58 AM

I meant Rockford, and it wasn't in reference to anything you said, Drover.

The OP said "I am hoping to AVOID Rockford altogether" so i was letting him know that wasn't necessarily necessary.

Sorry for confusion.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:41 PM

166 posts, read 855,885 times
Have you tried contacting a real estate agent? Many own or know of rental properties that are not necessarily advertised.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:01 AM

2 posts, read 5,380 times
Well have tried to find newspaper classifieds online. Thats basically all I've had. All the listings I've been able to find are from the Rockford Register Star. I don't know the names of, and haven't bee able to find out the names of any other area newspapers. If they have any others maybe they're just too small to have an online classifieds. I have tried to contact several realtors via email, and for the most part I just get no response. I did manage to find one that said he would "keep his eyes open" and contact us should anything come up.
I was getting the impression that realtors didn't want to waste their time because they wouldn't be making any $ from finding a rental. Of course if it were their own rental, then they would be apt to be more helpful. Guess I just haven't found the right one. Thanks to all of you that have tried to help. The search goes on.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:54 AM

With ordinary diligence, I was able to find the Freeport, Janesville and Beloit papers online and their respective classified sections in less than one minute. Just how hard are you looking anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois