Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2012, 09:34 AM

20 posts, read 23,544 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

Firstly, thank you for reading my post. Recently, I was accepted to a school in Chicago, IL which I'm looking to pursue. My boyfriend (life partner ) of 8 years requires a job to move with me. My program begins in late August.

We're willing to move at any time from now until August. Are there any suggestions? The economy has been terrible since we graduated undergrad in 2009. He's had a steady job as a Physical Therapy Aide for 3 years. He also has volunteered at a non-profit for a few years as well. He has a Sociology B.A. Degree. He also has a lot of construction experience. He's willing to do pretty much anything.

Any suggestions/connections would be amazing. We've been looking in Algonquin to live and I will commute to Chicago. I've heard how hard it is to get a job in Chicago, and I'm just terrified. He is currently looking in Algonquin for jobs through newspapers and careers.com. We have family in there which I've suggested using their address as his for now.

Please help!! This is my dream and I want my partner with me.
Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 05:03 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
First of all your family should agree to let your partner use their address for anything. Congratulations for chosing a lifetime partner! Where is this school? Algonquin may not be a good cholce in relation to where your school is located.

Your partner needs his boots on the ground in Chicago if he expects to find a job.

Construction work usually means union labor. Chicago is a union town;*join one. There are 6,000 restaurants most need reliable waitstaff, line cooks and honest bartenders.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:56 AM

The school is: The Chicago School of Professional Psychology . It's right on the river in Chicago.

We're not really "city" people. We do better in a calmer environment... with nature .

Is there anyway to get a job before going to Chicago? I've read some forums on here which seem to indicate even if you are in Chicago it's nearly impossible to get one . That was why my thought was to look elsewhere - plus he's happier in places other than cities.

How do you join a union town? I think my boyfriend really just needs a stable income.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR POST!!!

Old 03-28-2012, 08:42 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
Chicago and Cook county is a land of 10 Million people who drive 80 mph in 6 and 8 lanes of traffic. There is no calmer, natural environment. Feng Shui, maybe? You have to create your own oasis unless you go fairly far out. I'm talking about maybe 50 miles. There is no train/bus service into the loop from there. Unless you have two cars it limits who does what. I gotta tell you that drive into the city in the winter is ugly and long. It is bad enough in fair weather. You may have to rethink where you will live.

Chicago is a union town. Join a union. Generally speaking when you join a union you get training. If everything works out there are jobs. The downside is construction is seasonal and is driven by the economy. On the other hand if he has ever worked in a restaurant he should be able toe land a job in 2-3 days. The best paying restaurant is the country club and steak house.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:18 PM

Well, I understand I will be near the city. Currently, I live near DC so I am used to the hustle and bustle - I just don't want to be falling asleep to the train in my ear or trying to study and hear it. Do you know what I mean? I would like to live in a suburb versus the city. Maybe that's what I'm trying to say. Somewhere with parks and places to hike/rock climb etc.
How do you join a union? I don't even know haha. Do you just google "chicago unions" ?
Construction is a sort of "fall back" as he does have a degree and experience in non-profit he definitely qualifies for social work, but I don't know the job market out there or anything. Also, the physical therapy aide stuff... he should be able to do a comparable job out there too... just again, don't know the job market.

EITHER WAY, I sure do appreciate your prompt and thoughtful posts. Thank you again!

Old 03-29-2012, 05:12 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,988,595 times
Algonquin is pretty far out - it's definitely suburban and close to some fairly rural areas. You may want to take the train to school or spend a fortune on gas and parking. Go to metrarail.com for commuter train info - you may be smack in the middle of 2 train lines, so neither would be SUPER convenient. You'd probably be getting the train in either Elgin or Crystal Lake. He should be able to find work in the suburbs. You may want to post in the suburban forum as a lot of suburban people skip reading the general IL one.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:11 AM

Thank you thank you knitgirl! Actually, at my school, part of my tuition covers train fair/metra stuff i'm pretty sure. So, living in the suburbs/taking a train would be a-o-k with me! Thank you for the tip!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois