Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 10:56 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
or did, in 1986.
You mean the 1985-1986 season .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 08:17 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
You mean the 1985-1986 season .
Cha-ching.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:38 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
Quote:
If find it strange as well Cook County was able to elect someone worse than John Stroger as Cook County Board President.
The blind leading the blind to vote Democratic no matter what. I understand the demographics behind the City voting blindly Democratic to keep the patronage job machine going, but I fail to understand the North Shore continuing to vote this way while they take it up the kiester in vastly increased taxes. 2010 vote these incompetent jokers out of office. Vote Republican for all county offices and send a wake up call to those Tax-crats manipulating the system for their personal benefit. I am sick and tired of paying more sales tax and property tax and getting LESS service all while my home devalues and my income stagnates. Ya know, I can't vote myself a salary increase. Can you tell this bugs me?

Old 10-16-2008, 12:51 PM

296 posts, read 1,183,414 times
Getting back to the original point of the thread, our outdoor writer had an interesting take the other day on the park closings. We rob Peter to pay Paul in the name of political gamesmanship.

From the Peoria Journal Star 10/13/08:

Habitat thievery no solution for park dilemma
October 13, 2008 at 04:44 PM
BY JEFF LAMPE

Close the parks.

If stealing is the only solution politicians can dream up to keep Illinois parks open this fall, they should lock the gates. That’s the sad conclusion I’ve reached regarding the latest no-win situation in the world of Illinois natural resources.

Most of you know the story. The budget is unbalanced. State revenues are down. The Department of Natural Resources suffered $14 million in general revenue cuts. And Gov. Blagojevich proposed closing 11 parks and several historic sites to save money.

That prompted predictably angry replies from constituents. In response legislators hastily approved pilfering $221 million from special funds to keep the sites open and to avoid cuts to various social programs. That includes $2 million from the Illinois Habitat Endowment Trust Fund, $1 million from the Illinois habitat fund, $500,000 from the state migratory waterfowl stamp fund and $250,000 from the Illinois Pheasant Fund.

The governor rubber-stamped the sweeps, though he didn’t allocate money and apparently acknowledges “problems” with some dedicated funds. Instead of solving those problems, he dumped the load on Comptroller Dan Hynes. Hynes said he has no authority in the matter.

The entire sequence illustrates Illinois government at its dysfunctional, cowardly worst. This would be funny if it wasn’t so infuriating and so potentially damaging down the road.

The next time an Illinois politician proposes creating “a dedicated fund” he or she should be laughed out of Springfield. Special funds are too ripe for picking in times of need.

Even so, I have for years willingly paid $5.50 for a state habitat stamp and $10.50 for a state waterfowl stamp — fees required of hunters above and beyond the cost of licenses and permits.

I didn’t grumble much about the extra expense. In theory the money paid for hunting ground and critter habitat. Among my favorite fall destinations are Illinois Pheasant Habitat Areas, some of which were bankrolled by habitat stamps.

So I’ve always viewed habitat stamps as necessary user fees in a state where public ground and habitat is in short supply. They’re a pay-to-play tax with very clear objectives.

Problem is, these latest uses are at complete odds with those objectives. Providing habitat does not include paying for toilet paper at state parks or personnel to run bike trails.

More importantly, habitat funds are protected by language built into federal aid programs. Put simply, if you use hunter license fees for the wrong purposes, you will not get matching federal dollars. Due
to previous questionable practices, the federal government is already withholding a $1 million grant from Illinois. This current proposal could endanger another $15 million.

Fortunately, nothing is final. Legislators meet again in November for the veto session. The governor’s office is still taking calls at (217) 782-0244.

My call will include several points.

I want the parks to stay open, but not at the expense of dedicated funds. Stealing isn’t the way to silence all those angry constituents.

Maybe a tax increase is required. Better yet, maybe it’s time to charge user fees at larger state parks. Let’s follow the example of many other states and spread the funding burden with other park users: bikers, hikers, birders and picnickers.

Just don’t expect hunters to willingly pay for habitat stamps if this latest legislative thievery is legalized.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:59 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
Evidence of a "pretty boy" governor who doesn't give a rats *ss about the parks since he probably has never used them. "Mama don't let your babies grow up to be pretty-boys. Let them be farmers or cowboys instead." Sorry Willie Nelson, I couldn't resist.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:54 PM

124 posts, read 479,270 times
The parks need to stay open.

Blago is ruining the entire state from Chicago to Carbondale. Please vote him out of office Chicago! You are our only hope!!!

Old 10-17-2008, 09:36 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,210,436 times
Being originally from downstate, and then spending more than 20 years working in Chicagoland, then fleeing the state entirely, the events in Illinois touble me more and more all the time.

Yes, Chicago did vote the Governer in. In the past, the strongest voter base was downstate, where farmers had a lot to lose with the wrong Governer in.

When Edgar was Governer, things were good, but times change.

Having been very close to the Springfield scene, I remember the outrage when Blago wanted to sell the Governer's mansion and move everything to Chicago.

I remember a *lot* of state-employed friends losing their jobs and those who remained losing benefits.

Those places he wants to close are childhood memories for many of us.

I no longer have standing in Illinois, but I hope that those of you that do make your voices heard loudly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois