Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2009, 06:48 PM

45 posts, read 132,339 times

Advertisements

I have read this forums and it tells us that north of war memorial is preferred but it will also be better to know which areas to be avoided for living by defining roads surrounding those neighborhoods.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 10:57 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
War Memorial runs east and West from gemerally East Peoria to Brimfield. It is US 150 which indicates is can literally begin somewhere on the Atlantic Ocean and end at the Pacific Ocean.

The area in which you would want to look is between Prospect on your far east and US 150 on the far West. If you travel about a mile or so North of War Memorial on Prospect Rd in Peoria Hieghts to Glen Avenue and turn West, you will find many nice neighborhoods.

Going West on Glen you will cross these major intersections: Knoxville. Shericdan Road, University. The fartheset west is the corner of Glen, War Memorial and Sterling.. You are in a mixed residential and business neigborhood. Meaning you don't have to drive far to find what you need because at this point you are inbetween two Malls, and within two miles of four shopping areas. FTI: All he sttreets in Peoria city are named Road, Street, Drive or Avenue. Most of us do not pay any attention to those words except if one of them are in our home address. Also this area is not far from the I-474 artery that joins I-74 and goes to the LINCOLN turn off to take you to 1-5S and Springfield. I would like for you to do the following. I will explain as I direct you.

When you travel west on Glen Avenue, you will com to University Street. Turn Righ and continue North to NORTHMORE. Here you find Richwoods High School. Tirm LEFT on Northmore. Look for the fairgrounds on your right. I want you to viiew this map. I have a reason.
Heart of Illinois fairgrounds - Google Search

Look for ROSEMEAD on the map. Look for Western on this map. Every street amd nouse between the two streets is in ROLLING ACRES. Western on this map, begins a new subdivion I know nothing about. Turn on Rosemeat and look around. The streets area not straight, they curve, they circle, they dead end. Rolling acres extends from Northmore to Glen Avenue. There are five access points in/out of Rolling Acres: Northmore at Rpsewaood, University acrpss from Mt. Olive Church, ,Glen near Kentucky Fried Chicken, and 150. From GLen, turn righ onto 150 and another Right at the first light. The road is between stores on the left and a gas station on the right. Follpw the road left to Access Hamilton Road. Do not turn off. It will come to a T. If you zig-zag a little you will find University. Or you can turn left and go back to Northmore. Tnese are older homes that have been well maintained. It is a good area to live.

Another nice area is Peoria Heighbs anywhere North of Lake Steet. Lake Street ends on University. The downside is the time it will take to drive to I-74. Peoria Heights kids attend Richwoods. Do not live on Sterliing or west of it. Sterling is a N-S street that begins on Farminton Road and ends at Glen and US 150.

I do not know what you are accustomed to paying for rent but a nice house in a nice area in Peoria will be around a $1000 without utilities or appliances. And it should have a two car garage.

One last thing Lake, Glen, and Narthmore are E-W streets. Knoxville, Sheridan, Unversity, and Sterling are N-S streets. US !50 is N/NW to to Prospect. Here it turns west to Glen and Sterling where it turn NW to Brimfield.

Down twon Peora is bounded by Hamilton Bouldvard on the East and Fulton Plaza on the West. Main Street is betwen them..
The N-S Streets began at the water front. They are Water, Adams, Jefferon, Madison, Monroe. This is the heart of the legal, business and court system. One of the best steaks in Peoria is Jim's Downtown Steak House. It is located in the Janssen Law Center at 333 Main Street near Jefferson amd npt far from the courthouse. That block of Main Street is in between TWO one-way streets.
NE Adams runs toward 150 and Peoria Heights. SW Jefferson runs into an area you do not want to be in. If you follow Main Strett, you will cross Sheridan and then University. Turn rignt to got back to War Memorial or Glen. Sheridan is not a nice street at night.

I do not know anything about the other areas of housing in Peoria. Allen Road, I think is a nice Area not far from Northmore. Before you chose a place to live you need to be in FRiday night and Saturday traffic in Peoria. If your job is 8-5 you'll be driving in the same kind of traffic in the morning and night.

Old 02-21-2009, 03:33 PM

15 posts, read 44,226 times
Peoria Heights students have not attended Richwoods H.S. in approximately 40 years - the Village of P.H. has its own high school.

Old 02-21-2009, 03:34 PM

15 posts, read 44,226 times
p.s. Without knowing your price range (and specific amenities that you are looking for), I think it's extremely difficult to recommend a neighborhood.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:23 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
READ THIS POST

//www.city-data.com/forum/illin...as-peoria.html

Old 03-16-2009, 07:40 PM

32 posts, read 154,027 times
Dont live in the city limits otherwise your fine....

Old 03-17-2009, 06:43 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
Traffic in Peoria is not anything to bother with. Base your living area upon school districts first, if you have kids. If you don't have kids, let us know and we can help from there. What do you want to spend? Rent or buy? House or apartment? Urban or suburban?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois