Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2006, 07:16 PM

6 posts, read 32,544 times

Advertisements

I have two children ages 3 and 11.I had lived in big cities ( NY, Jacksonville, Houston and Orlando) all my life. I need to make the right decision for the sake of my children. I need and area with little or no crime and decent schools. Can anyone give me some info on Godfrey Illinois and its vicinities ( Edwardsville etc.)? I am looking for another rural or suburban area to relocate. I have a friend who lives in Godfrey Illinois and I would like to get someone else perspective about the area. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2006, 06:20 AM

3 posts, read 14,074 times
Godfrey is really an extension of Alton, alton is older river town -- godfrey -- physically strung out along US 67 -- huge new high school for Alton school district is in godfrey -- it is about 30 minutes by car to st. louis-- less expesnsive to live in godfrey than in edwardsville -- edwardsville is one of these fast growing and sometimes expensive place -- housing prices jump up from low 60's to roughly 400K$ to above range for edwardsville -- I am from Alton, and live in rural edwardsville-- varied and diverse area both in price, and ethnic backgrounds -- alton is heavily mixed - godfrey less so -- what are you looking for? city? rural?

Old 07-23-2006, 06:25 AM

3 posts, read 14,074 times
look at godfrey, brighton, fosterburg and bethalto, meadowbrook , moro, rural edwardsville, meadowbrook, bunker hill for lower prices and lower crime -- edwardsville is fast growing and so is glen carbon , troy , etc-- hamel is small , safe etc, but ten miles roughly from real shopping --woodriver and east alton are cheap, but high density and low rent predominantly -- new hiway [ Ill 255] when done will make any commuting very fast -

Old 07-24-2006, 10:50 PM

6 posts, read 32,544 times
Thanks for the info. I look forward to settling in a rural area. I live in big cities all my life. I just want something totally different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigl22
look at godfrey, brighton, fosterburg and bethalto, meadowbrook , moro, rural edwardsville, meadowbrook, bunker hill for lower prices and lower crime -- edwardsville is fast growing and so is glen carbon , troy , etc-- hamel is small , safe etc, but ten miles roughly from real shopping --woodriver and east alton are cheap, but high density and low rent predominantly -- new hiway [ Ill 255] when done will make any commuting very fast -
Thanks for the info. would you happen to know anything about Alton Il? What's the job's market is like?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Does anybody know anything about Alton Illinois? How is the job market?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Marka; 08-08-2006 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: merged

Old 09-13-2006, 05:59 AM

3 posts, read 36,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTOFFL View Post
I have two children ages 3 and 11.I had lived in big cities ( NY, Jacksonville, Houston and Orlando) all my life. I need to make the right decision for the sake of my children. I need and area with little or no crime and decent schools. Can anyone give me some info on Godfrey Illinois and its vicinities ( Edwardsville etc.)? I am looking for another rural or suburban area to relocate. I have a friend who lives in Godfrey Illinois and I would like to get someone else perspective about the area. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
hello.. lived in godfrey for 19 years.. your kids would go to alton for jr and sr high school.. godfrey is a greattttttttttttt town.. i loved living there..if you have friends there then definately its a great place to be... also look at jerseyville and brighton for rual country and not to far out of town that you cant enjoy both communities..

Old 09-17-2006, 05:49 AM

1 posts, read 4,918 times
Consider Highland, Illinois. 62249. Really rural? Greenville Il., about 45 miles from St. Louis. with fishing at Governor Bond Lake (780 acres), or fishing/boating at Carlyle (26,000 acre lake) just south of town. I live in O'Fallon, Il., have property at Governor Bond, and work in a St. Louis suburb (Hazelwood, Mo).
Chuck

Old 10-14-2006, 07:17 PM

9 posts, read 67,431 times
hello i am not to far from godfrey about 35 mintues or so and town has pretty good school and no crimes at all the town name is carlinville illinois if you want to look the town up hope u find a good place

Old 10-20-2006, 01:01 PM

9 posts, read 69,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvistart View Post
Consider Highland, Illinois. 62249. Really rural? Greenville Il., about 45 miles from St. Louis. with fishing at Governor Bond Lake (780 acres), or fishing/boating at Carlyle (26,000 acre lake) just south of town. I live in O'Fallon, Il., have property at Governor Bond, and work in a St. Louis suburb (Hazelwood, Mo).
Chuck
Hubby was born and raised in Highland. We visit there often from Springfield. Great town!

Old 11-12-2006, 08:19 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,339,680 times
Depending on what you are looking for as far as housing / renting etc.

Where would you work / your comute?

there are small towns around Godfrey that are nice .......I personally would not live in Godfrey ...or Alton ... for various reasons.

I think culture plays a big roll into moving ..there are comunities that just do not take to certain "types of people" and Im not saying this as a racist becasue I am not I am saying it openly ... and honestly!

If you are looking to buy a home the towns that have NEW Schools taxes are going to be jumping through the roof!
Brighton Illinois is a nice comunity and is right off the highway .....there are some little towns around it as well that are small / and have low pricing on houses. and probably lower rent than a biger town.

Old 11-12-2006, 08:22 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,339,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie-64 View Post
hello.. lived in godfrey for 19 years.. your kids would go to alton for jr and sr high school.. godfrey is a greattttttttttttt town.. i loved living there..if you have friends there then definately its a great place to be... also look at jerseyville and brighton for rual country and not to far out of town that you cant enjoy both communities..
Jerseyville just built a new school ..property taxes are high very high!
The school district (middle school) did not meet the state requirements
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois