Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 03:37 PM

12 posts, read 36,260 times

Advertisements

We will be visiting Rockford to go to a concert at the MetroCentre. I've been searching for hotels online and can't seem to find anything remotely close. Am I missing something? Isn't this downtown? All the hotels seem to be on the east side.

We were planning on having a great night at our concert and spending some time downtown checking out the nightlife. We don't want to have to drive 5 miles to park and to see a show. Besides, we wouldn't mind having a couple of drinks while we are there, and we are very anti drinking and driving (as should you be

Is it reasonable to get a taxi in the city? Why aren't there any hotels near this big venue? Should we back down and spend our evening drinking OJ at IHOP afterwards?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 03:55 PM

1,016 posts, read 4,545,627 times
Yes, most of the Rockford Hotels are on the East side near the highway. It looks like this one is downtown and near the Metro Center. I've never stayed there and have no idea if it's nice:
Lafayette Hotel
411 Mulberry St
Rockford, IL 61101
(815) 964-5651

Old 02-04-2008, 05:59 PM

572 posts, read 2,488,496 times
There are not any Hotels near the Metro Center. This is because Rockford does not plan things out. Oh and good luck with Parking near there. Please let us know how your night on the town went I hope it goes good for you.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:08 AM

90 posts, read 353,491 times
Unfortunately, there are really no nice hotels by the Metro Center. As sbd already said, the hotel concentration is near the tollway. However, the ride from the tollway to the Metro Center is only around 5 minutes.
Parking around the Metro Center is not a huge issue despite what Havasu seems to think. I've been there for several major events and have never had a problem.

There is a very nice Hilton that just went up within the last year right on State Street. I have yet to see the inside but the building looks beautiful (I drive by it just about every day). You'll be closer to nightlife out by the tollway as well because "downtown" is more industrial / commercial.

If you like your beer, there's a new brewery / bar / restaurant (which I highly recommend) off of Perryville by the mall called Granite City.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:32 AM

5,470 posts, read 8,202,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hill View Post
Unfortunately, there are really no nice hotels by the Metro Center. As sbd already said, the hotel concentration is near the tollway. However, the ride from the tollway to the Metro Center is only around 5 minutes.
It's about 5 minutes by helicopter.

By car, if there is almost no traffic at all, it will take about 20 minutes. During busy periods it can take much longer.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:43 PM

90 posts, read 353,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
It's about 5 minutes by helicopter.

By car, if there is almost no traffic at all, it will take about 20 minutes. During busy periods it can take much longer.

Sorry but we'll just have to disagree. In 20 minutes, I can make it from Belvidere to the Metro Center.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:39 PM

5,470 posts, read 8,202,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hill View Post
Sorry but we'll just have to disagree. In 20 minutes, I can make it from Belvidere to the Metro Center.
It's 7 miles driving from the toll road to the Metro Center. To make it in 5 minutes you would have to average 84 mph. This would be very hard to do because of all of the stop lights. I don't think Michael Schumacher could do it in a Ferrari Formula 1 car.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:17 AM

24 posts, read 100,172 times
From State and Bell School (where most hotels are), you're over 15 minutes for sure (does it matter exactly, just leave 1/2 hour earlier to get parking, seeing you may be driving around the block to find safe parking) as your going down state street, which is somewhat congested, there's a good sum of lights too... The theatre is near the river, no hotels there. It's downtown, old and a bit run down.

I'd suggest a cab if you're drinking.. but then again, Rockford is known for drunk driving (not trying to make light of the situation and it's completely irresponsible, but most the of singles I've ever met whom are male, tend to be very familiar with DUI's. Be aware, just because you're responsible, the guy next to you may not be.)

If you stay overnight, there's not much to do in the middle of winter, but there's the Kerasotes Theatre on STate street and also the Cherry Vale mall. IHOP is just down the street, just North of Best Buy!!!

Most hotels on State and Bell School area are decent, but I'd be leary of the Red Roof Inn.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:38 PM

12 posts, read 36,260 times
Great information! Thanks a bunch! I will book a hotel near the tollway today!

Is this a "call a taxi" or a "flag a taxi" town?

We have Granite City in Iowa, and I love it! Especially the Idaho Nachos-terrible for you!

Thanks for the warning about the Red Roof Inn, I wouldn't normally consider it, but I was thinking about it for my Rockford trip! I think we're going to the Hilton!

Old 02-08-2008, 01:03 PM

24 posts, read 100,172 times
I'd ask the hotel about a taxi, as I rarely see them, but they're there (you definately have to call for one). For some reason, I can't picture the Hilton from the front, but it's next to Walmart and just behind the Machine Shed restaurant.

As for the downtown 'bars' & nightclubs, not sure about those... if any, that are reputable. You may want to go to a hotel with a bar inside (Giovanni's which is just North of the Hilton) is popular, so is Hoffman House.

My husband watches the football games at the Hoffman House, which is in the Holiday Inn... he likes it there. Giovanni's is more expensive, classier. I'm not much of a bar hopper, I've never been in a bar downtown.

You may want to investigate a little about downtown bars, as some seem very shady.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois