Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 07:12 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,593,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
When you take the money they generate, and the money they pay in said "taxes" it balances out.
That's BS Californio, and you know it.

Let's just take education for a minute....

The average cost of a K-12 education in the US is around $7,000 a year per child. The average immigrant family has 3 children. That's $21,000 a year per immigrant family. 2 million immigrant families costs American taxpayers $42 billion a year. 4 million immigrant families costs us$84 billion. And that doesn't include the billions in costs for ESOL, school lunches or even the costs of building thousands of schools just to accommodate them.

But getting back to the individual families, how many of them do you think pays $21,000 in taxes on an income that doesn't reach $21.000?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 11:35 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,544,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post

The average cost of a K-12 education in the US is around $7,000 a year per child. The average immigrant family has 3 children. That's $21,000 a year per immigrant family. 2 million immigrant families costs American taxpayers $42 billion a year. 4 million immigrant families costs us$84 billion. And that doesn't include the billions in costs for ESOL, school lunches or even the costs of building thousands of schools just to accommodate them.

But getting back to the individual families, how many of them do you think pays $21,000 in taxes on an income that doesn't reach $21.000?
Isn't public schooling was funded mostly by property taxes? Any idea how many illegal immigrants own their own homes? That still obviously wouldn't cover $21k per household per year. But it would be interesting to find out and would give us a better idea of what the true delta is.

When you put it that way.... how many families in the US (citizens) pay enough taxes to cover education for their children? It sounds like that system needs to be addressed in a big way doesn't it? Is that why our public education system is severely lacking?

Old 09-06-2008, 11:50 AM

1,417 posts, read 1,157,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post

Take into account this is an economics expert professor at UC San Diego

Immigration

Old 09-06-2008, 12:05 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
Isn't public schooling was funded mostly by property taxes? Any idea how many illegal immigrants own their own homes? That still obviously wouldn't cover $21k per household per year. But it would be interesting to find out and would give us a better idea of what the true delta is.

When you put it that way.... how many families in the US (citizens) pay enough taxes to cover education for their children? It sounds like that system needs to be addressed in a big way doesn't it? Is that why our public education system is severely lacking?
Many people, (including me), pay property taxes and do not have a child attending public schools. My parents still own a house in PA, and have been paying property taxes on that house for over 40 years. There are many examples of taxpayers paying for public school systems without reaping the benefit.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:47 PM

307 posts, read 522,042 times
ACCORDING TO YOUR OWN SOURCE, ILLEGAL COST US OVER $9,000,000,000.00 MORE THEN THEY GIVE TO US.

Quote:

Immigration

This is what your own source, This professor, has to say at the 1 minute mark of your tape.

Illegals cost us $13 BILLION (.1% GDP) and they only return $3.9 BILLION (.03% GDP). So according to your own source Illegals are costing this country a total of $9.1 BILLION (.07% GDP).

Of course he tries to hide these numbers by using GDP as the unit of measurement, instead of dollars. I put the dollar figgure into the paragraph above since most people pay for stuff and are familiar with the U.S. Dollar. After all I don't go to "In N Out Burgers" and say "Can I get a Double Double Animal Style for .00000000001% of a GDP?"

But hey, Saying Illegals only costs us a total 0.07% of our GDP is no where near as damning as saying ILLEGAL COST US A TOTAL OF OVER NINE BILLION DOLLARS.

Once more in case you missed it.

ILLEGAL COST US OVER $9,000,000,000.00

Never mind that I have not seen the paper or seen if it stands up to peer review. For all we know this Pro Illegal professor may well have used data that supports his position and excluded data that shows Illegals cost us even more. For instance I did not here him mention the cost to Law enforcement for the millions of crimes committed by Illegals. But hey, I guess we can tell the families of those murdered by Illegals not to worry, after all its only .000001% of our GDP. No big deal.

Random

Last edited by RandomU; 09-06-2008 at 01:56 PM..

Old 09-06-2008, 02:39 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times
Excellent post randomu. I am becoming more and more a big fan of socializing our university systems. I fully believe if we are allowing illegals to attend free, then the professors are overdue in being handed a "living wage" instead of the $100,000 +++ salary they receive. Bring it on.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:41 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
California's unemployment rate rises to 7.3% - Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/front/la-fi-caljobs16-2008aug16,0,4449699.story?page=1 - broken link)

The official unemployment rate in California is now 7.3%-------and, increasing.

Why I posted this link originally from the California Forum is this may be the 'tipping point' in enraging the citizens of the Golden State to turn against the millions of illegals sullying it.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:56 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,157,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
California's unemployment rate rises to 7.3% - Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/front/la-fi-caljobs16-2008aug16,0,4449699.story?page=1 - broken link)

The official unemployment rate in California is now 7.3%-------and, increasing.

Why I posted this link originally from the California Forum is this may be the 'tipping point' in enraging the citizens of the Golden State to turn against the millions of illegals sullying it.
Like I've heard many Mexicans say, "Estamos en Recessaysion!"

Old 09-08-2008, 11:22 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
Well hey, you call it baloney all you want. I've seen some horrible living conditions having been there a number of times. Maybe if you saw it you'd get a better idea of why people would look for opportunities here. Take a drive through Mexico and tell me how much that graph applies. All it really means is that there are some really rich people living there too.
The chart shows obesity, not wealth. Again, so much for your "poor starving Mexicans" theory.

Thanks for your invitation to take a drive through Mexico - but I think I'll pass. If I ever want to get a "feel" for what a cesspool Mexico is, I can just drive through the Valley or Santa Ana.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:36 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:

Immigration
Isn't that the same exact link that was used by....

//www.city-data.com/forum/2031311-post10.html

GHOST..

and also....

//www.city-data.com/forum/2220221-post34.html

ProLogic?

Both of whom were banned from City Data? Gee, I wonder if you've revealed yourself again?

Last edited by DontH8Me; 09-08-2008 at 11:36 AM.. Reason: link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration