Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2010, 09:33 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,537,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
I suppose part of the question is how you define "culture".

I had a rather eye-opening experience this holiday season.

My daughter and her beau, both with elite/ivy educations and extensive travel for work and pleasure, came to visit.

We sent them out to eat on two occasions (too much family togetherness is bad for the soul ). Once to Bistro 310 in podunk Columbus IN Bistro 310 and on a second night to Retaurant Tallent in Bloomington Restaurant Tallent

I later asked them about their dining experiences. They both said that each were amazing. I joked "yeah pretty good for the Midwest".....and they both commented that no, these meals were stellar. As in good enough to compete with some of the best restaurants on the East and West coasts.

Perhaps "food" doesn't fall under your radar as "culture", but in our family, it's important.

It sounds like you are young, and the "grass is always greener" as they say.

Soooo.....Good luck and best wishes with your journey.

p.s. no, I was not born and raised here.
Every area of the world has its own indigenous culture. One might not find Indiana's interesting. To each their own. A poster on the Chicago board mentioned once that he took some of his European friends on a car trip to his native Iowa, and there were enthralled with the cultural experience.

Now, if one is saying that a lack of culture means you won't find the Boston Pops, world-renowned museums, opera or Broadway plays in places like Angola or Linton, I've got news for you -- you won't find them in podunk burgs in New Hampshire or Newfoundland either.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:47 AM

265 posts, read 964,574 times
It's all what you want in your stage of life. We've lived all over too, had good and bad experiences (mostly good) and each area has had its own unique qualities.

In my opinion, you can't beat Indiana for peacefulness, friendliness of the natives (in the larger towns and cities), cost of living and natural beauty. (There is far more to the state than flat cornfields. Have you ever been south of Indy?) Those features may not be important for a young person seeking excitement, but they're perfect for raising a family or retirement.

Granted, Indiana (and the midwest in general) may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it suits me and many others just fine.

Have fun in your travels. Maybe, with the passage of time and the gift of hindsight, you'll find it's not so bad here after all.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:34 AM

1,391 posts, read 2,646,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I think she means that if you're going to register only to make one of your first posts a bash of Indiana, you better be prepared to catch some heat in return.

BTW..... Nova Scotia isn't a country.
That's fine, I have no problem whatsoever with catching heat for being upfront and honest. You speak negatively about one thing, others will talk negatively about something else in return; c'est la vie. And I'm well aware of Nova Scotia being part of Canada, but I can see how my wording implied otherwise.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:38 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
And perhaps with your travels and some maturity you will learn to understand what, "It's a small world" means.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:00 AM

8 posts, read 15,444 times
Default Living in Indiana

Since you have a Bachelor's degree, did you ever think about substitute teaching as an income? Pay isn't big, but would help. As long as one passes a criminal background check and likes kids...bingo. Subs are often in demand.
Good luck!

Old 01-02-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
And perhaps with your travels and some maturity you will learn to understand what, "It's a small world" means.
I know how the saying "It's a small world" came about, Captain Obvious.

You meet someone who knew such-and-such person and they knew this person, and *gasp* oh my god! You know what, I know him too! Hey, it's a small world huh? All I'm saying, is that people who rarely if ever venture outside such small social circles, probably haven't stepped back to gain a bigger perspective, ie, travelling around the world. Because people who never meet people who know someone else they've met before would probably never see the world as a small place, in any sense of the word.

But I thank you nonetheless for the breaking news flash.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:23 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
ok, music notes, you've made your feelings perfectly clear, you hate Indiana ... yea, we get it and with that, i say ... SO WHAT? Big hairy deal. Fish or cut bait. Nobody should be so unhappy. I'm having a spirited 'debate" with a fellow poster on the toll road lease ... am I whining? sure, but I didn't create an account here just to whine about it, no. Seriously, what's your point?

Old 01-02-2010, 11:57 AM

265 posts, read 964,574 times
Do you really think that people who haven't traveled around the world are limited to the midwest? There are insular people everywhere. I can see not liking the weather, not liking snooty or unfriendly residents, not being able to find a job, etc.

No one wants to force you to like an area that you obviously dislike so much, and for everyone, there is a place that is a good fit. Best of luck to you as you seek it.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:10 PM

Thank you grandma, and I agree wholeheartedly with everything you said. And in response to you domergurl, I already made my point; I'm just responding to other posts now.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:45 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,865,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma(in waiting) View Post
Do you really think that people who haven't traveled around the world are limited to the midwest? There are insular people everywhere. I can see not liking the weather, not liking snooty or unfriendly residents, not being able to find a job, etc.

No one wants to force you to like an area that you obviously dislike so much, and for everyone, there is a place that is a good fit. Best of luck to you as you seek it.
You are so right! I was a teacher in Yuma, AZ. When I had to attend new teacher orientation, I met another teacher. She asked me where I was from. I said Indiana. She said then asked me if Indiana was in the U.S.A. and if I had to fly over an ocean to get to Indiana from AZ. She said that she never left the small town of Yuma, AZ and she was over 30.

Music notes should look into leaving like right now instead of waiting. Life is too short to be miserable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana