Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 09:22 PM

1 posts, read 4,041 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am taking a job in Plymouth IN but I do not want to live down there. I'd prefer living closer to a city, not necessarily in it but I would if I had to.

I'm looking for nice areas preferably in the south side of South Bend or Mishawaka so that my drive is not too long. Does anybody have any suggested areas to look? If anybody has any other suggestions I would be open to those also. Thank you..

Tim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 03:12 AM

855 posts, read 2,397,433 times
Granger is about as nice as it gets in this area with the best schools in the area but it's further to the north and generally a little higher priced, if that's a concern.

My wife and I live in a quiet subdivision of Mishawaka in the SE part of town called Reverewood. There are probably around a dozen houses for sale here, ranging from around $90-$120K depending on square footage and lot size. The majority of the houses are split levels, 3+ bedrooms, decent yards, 30-40+ years old.(I'm not a realtor, I just know the area) There is also a newer area of Reverewood to the east that runs a little higher as most of the houses were built in the last 15-30 years. Both areas are nestled in between Harrison Rd, Elm Rd and Blackberry Rd. There are also some newer developments nearby but I don't know about availability.

Very little crime here in the immediate area since it's kind of isolated from the main part of town. There's an elementary school within a mile.

Another possibility is Osceola, just to the east. I don't know as much about pricing or the area in general but I do know it's fairly quiet.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:21 PM

625 posts, read 1,811,860 times
There are plenty of neighborhoods on the south side of Mishawaka that I think would suit your lifestyle. Mishawaka is probably one of the most aesthetically pleasing cities in Indiana, especially the main commerical corridors. That is on the north side of Mishawaka however. I would also suggest some houses in the country that are to the south of Mishawaka and South Bend. Plenty of nice land and houses in that area would make it suitable.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:49 PM

855 posts, read 2,397,433 times
Ditto some of the areas in between SB/Mish and Plymouth. There's a little town called Lakeville right between the two off of Rte 31 that is about as Small Town USA as you can get but still within around 10 miles of both SB/Mish and Plymouth. There are several others but Lakeville always comes to mind first.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:11 AM

34 posts, read 106,392 times
There's a nice little neighborhood called "Scottsdale" off Ireland road near Ironwood. It's convenient to shopping as well as US 20 bypass and US 31. A former girlfriend lives there and works in Plymouth and doesn't find it too painful. But it is over a 30 minute drive, and moving into south mishawaka will be even farther.

I think I'm with DLK55. Lakeville is really a decent compromise. Nice little town to live in. Pain in the butt (along with all those other little towns that cluster around 33) when you're traveling and have to drop down to 35 miles an hour or get pulled over by a cop in a town whose entire population is smaller than that of apartment building I lived in in college.

But are you really familiar with SB/Mishawaka? You didn't mention where you live now. South Bend isn't exactly a booming metropolis.

If all you're after is suburban shopping centers, I think Plymouth has at least some of those. There's a small mall, a couple of movie theatres (also a nice drive-in theatre, the Tri-Way), and SB isn't that far away if you need to visit a store you can't find in plymouth (and then you only have to drive that far when you want to shop, instead of every day you need to work).

I will freely admit that some of my thinking here is tinted by my recently convincing myself to live 10 minutes from my new office, in Alcoa, TN (about the size of Plymouth; but technically I'm in Louisville, which is slightly larger than lakeville), and 20 minutes from downtown Knoxville (about twice the size of SB) instead of living somewhere in knoxville and driving 25-30 minutes to work every day. (I'm from SB, just got headhunted to work for a company down here in Tennessee a month ago)

Old 12-23-2010, 03:59 PM

625 posts, read 1,811,860 times
Yes, I think Lakeville would probably be a nice compromise. I must say though, Mishawaka is one of the best shopping areas in the state, and is becoming better. It is suburban though. However, Plymouth is big enough to have the essentials (Wal-Mart, fast food, some unique eateries). Most of the people that live in Plymouth do their shopping in Mishawaka as well, they just don't go everyday. However, if you are into the city living, definitely live on the south side of South Bend.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:39 PM

4 posts, read 8,948 times
I'd suggest the Scottsdale or Lakeville area. My aunt lives just south of the bypass (20) right off of 31 and loves her area. That would be close to the city and shopping, and an easy commute to work.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:32 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,744,693 times
I'd live in Plymouth over Lakeville ... yikes! If you don't want Plymouth, move to Scottsdale.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:45 PM

7 posts, read 28,197 times
I'm partial to Mishawaka. I stumbled upon it a couple years ago and landed in a nice property 2 blocks from the new riverfront. In summer especially, it's really a nice place to be around (again, I'm biased because I love salmon fishing too). If I were you I'd probably check around the Ireland Road area of South Bend/Mishawaka.

The thing to think about with Mishawaka to Plymouth is that couple times a year when snow comes down like it's one of Pharoah's plauges. 31 becomes a haul then. Outside of that though, I love it here.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:58 PM

8 posts, read 19,141 times
I got a new job in Plymouth and need suggestion where to live. Need a place that is within 20 miles of plymouth. Would realy really appreciate the reply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana