Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 12:31 PM

55 posts, read 229,220 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure when a child hung himself in school in Evansville but if you look up young black child hung in school you will find this happened in Evanston, Illinois.
Evansville is like most cities in the midwest, unemployment is a problem, as it is with almost every city in the econcomy. As they say opinions are like................everyone has one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 07:37 PM

423 posts, read 1,249,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
I find this post interesting because about 6 months ago I was pursuing a well paying position that would have relocated me to Evansville. We did a couple of trips and would have been okay with the city but got a better offer in a larger city. After, i mentioned it to a close friend from Indianapolis who said the same thing as peaches - unsolicited.
Perhaps your friend was actually epeaches?

I hold true to my original claim. Sure there are racists everywhere, but as someone who supports hate group monitoring with my $$$, Evansville is among the last places I would suspect with that problem. I can find no evidence online of a black kid hanging himself, and that would definitely make news. As for potential race issues, other cities in Indiana where I can see it happening--Kokomo, could be. Richmond, maybe. Towns around South Bend, quite possibly. Martinsville, definitely. But not Evansville. Your friend from Indy is hopefully aware that Indy actually has far more of a racist history than Evansville, though long banished into the shameful past of the 1920s. Although not without some issues common to all cities, Indianapolis now seems among the less segregated cities I've visited or lived in.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:08 PM

8,981 posts, read 17,300,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalcedony View Post
I can find no evidence online of a black kid hanging himself, and that would definitely make news.
If that did happen in Evansville, it was well over 20 years ago; and would certainly be a very well documented event. The media in Evansville once went into freak out mode for weeks when an elephant at the zoo died of old age. You can imagine the freak out that would occur if a child of any race hung itself at an EVSC school.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:13 PM

Every single city has issues, I've lived in many, many large (200,000 - 2,000,000 in population). Evansville is your average city, good, bad and ugly. No matter what each opionion is it is just that. I've also lived in a community that appeared to be Nirvana and was one of the worst you could imagine. Evansville has some wonderful schools as well as a few that are less then great. Corruption is everywhere. I also don't think a crime that occured over twenty years ago should be brought us as the current situation of a city, if that were the case people would never find a location that is appropriate to move into.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:15 PM

Sorry misread that the hanging took place over twenty years ago, not that if it happened. I agree with you Toxic we would have been hearing about this for weeks if not longer if it was a current event.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:30 PM

4 posts, read 9,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnYankee View Post
Moving to Evansville from Columbia Tn. Can anyone tell me about Harrison High school is it a good school? I'm been looking online at this apartments Devonshire gardens, Village Green and Kimber Green. Are these nice apartment and in a good area. Any info would be great. Thanks
It's the largest school in Evansville. My younger brother went there and there seemed to be a lot of problems with crowded classrooms. He wasn't very "scholarly" so I don't know much about the educational quality of the school.

Village Green has some very nice apartments but others are terrible. The models are all gorgeous but if you move there, make sure you check out the apartment you'll actually be getting. My husband and I got really excited about the apartment they showed us (which is the one they told us we'd be getting) but then they told us someone else had "just" rented that one. They showed us another one and it was ugly, smelly, and really far away from everything. The thing that sucks is that we had already done the application process and they collected an application fee.

Kimber Green has some decent apartments too. They were doing some renovations when we were apartment shopping a few months ago so they should be a little nicer now. The 1 bedrooms were steep but the 2 and 3 bedrooms seemed to be decently priced.

I don't know anything about Devonshire except that there are 2 Devonshire properties and one of them is VERY BAD and the other is fine. Visit at night to figure out which one is which.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:45 AM

9 posts, read 22,412 times
I've dreaded every single day I've lived here. Avoid this place like the plague. Unless, of course, you have no qualms with perpetual boredom. Seriously, it's a cultural dead zone here. Go E-Ville!

Old 11-17-2010, 10:27 PM

2 posts, read 4,546 times
Lived near Champaign,IL many years ago,,moved back to Toledo, Ohio area many years ago and 5 years ago moved to central South Carolina..I might have a job opportunity in Evansville.
My wife and I love music, places of entertainment, sports bars, Riding motorcycle, I train a lot in swimming, cycling and running preparing for an Ironman Triathlon (Florida 2011. We love th outdoors, parks, woods, etc..Love living in the country but like being near a city that offers great music venues..Is Evanville a place we should move to given all that I have explained here about our interests?

Old 11-17-2010, 10:28 PM

2 posts, read 4,546 times
We love culturallly diverse environment..Is Evansville the place for us?

Old 11-18-2010, 07:09 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,490,798 times
I go to Evansville 3 or 4 times a year. Evansville is very hard to categorize. There is a strong German influence in the outlying, rural areas. The city itself seems torn between a Northern and Southern culture. I have met a fairly large group of uneducated people there but that seemed to be because they, like thier fathers went directly into manufacturing after high school. On the other hand, the 2 Universities attract a fair amount of intelligent students to Evansville. One telltale sign that the city has little to offer is the fact thay very few graduates choose to stay in Evansville. It really has little to offer those who are looking for a challenge. If a person enjoys bass fishing and/or deer hunting, the rural areas of Southern Indiana are wonderful. The German cuisine, especially in the farm towns outside of Evansville is quite good. 1 hour to the east of Evansville is a little place called Santa Claus, Indiana. if you get the chance, make sure you stop in. Its wonderful. Good luck whatever you decide!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana