Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2011, 11:55 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,424,675 times

Advertisements

I am so confused... and yes, I've looked at the SoS website (again, not helpful)... Indiana is the 5th state I've lived in, and it is the first where I did not get to choose what party to belong to on the registration form.

With that said, I have a few questions:

1. Is there a place where one can sign up to be a member of a party?

2. How do primaries work, such as for the one coming up in May... do I just get to pick a party ballot (i.e. open primary)?

3. In the case of a presidential primary, when primaries could occur (not sure if they do in Indiana) on different dates, could I theoretically vote in both primaries?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 12:00 PM

8,981 posts, read 17,302,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
I am so confused... and yes, I've looked at the SoS website (again, not helpful)... Indiana is the 5th state I've lived in, and it is the first where I did not get to choose what party to belong to on the registration form.

2. How do primaries work, such as for the one coming up in May... do I just get to pick a party ballot (i.e. open primary)?

3. In the case of a presidential primary, when primaries could occur (not sure if they do in Indiana) on different dates, could I theoretically vote in both primaries?

Thanks!
I am not sure specifically on Q1, but the primaries are open. In the presidential primary, anyone can vote. For example, Repubs could have voted for Obama or Hilary in 2008. In fact, there was a push to get Repubs to vote for a particular candidate in the primary to throw the Democratic race into chaos.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:00 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,744,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I am not sure specifically on Q1, but the primaries are open. In the presidential primary, anyone can vote. For example, Repubs could have voted for Obama or Hilary in 2008. In fact, there was a push to get Repubs to vote for a particular candidate in the primary to throw the Democratic race into chaos.
Their diabolical plan worked great didn't it?

Old 03-08-2011, 09:08 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,608,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Haha there's didn't, but every democrat should make sure they vote for a republican other than Pence for governor in 2012!!!! I'm just assuming he will run BTW.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:42 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,541,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post

Thanks!
Indiana is an open primary state, meaning you choose which primary in which you want to vote at the voting site. You cannot vote in both (Dem or GOP) primaries, although you may vote in the Dem one year, the GOP in another.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:15 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,080,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
Haha there's didn't...
Depends how you define "worked." I think the goal of Rush was to keep the Clinton v. Obama fight going, more so for material than anything else. I never really got the vibe "Operation Chaos" was supposed to elevate McCain. That was a good primary, and it was neat that Indiana actually mattered for once.

Shame on you, Barry Soetoro, oh, uh Barak Obama!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UwSuhIaTHU

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
....every democrat should make sure they vote for a republican other than Pence for governor in 2012!!!! I'm just assuming he will run BTW.
Either way a Republican will be elected. Hoosiers want a governor who at least lives in the state, not in Urbana, Ill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Indiana is an open primary state, meaning you choose which primary in which you want to vote at the voting site. You cannot vote in both (Dem or GOP) primaries, although you may vote in the Dem one year, the GOP in another.
The OP should also know that in some of the more one-party rule (for the most part) counties, the primary actually determines who will be the next Sheriff, Mayor, etc.. My understanding is that it is against the rules (not sure if illegal is the right word) for someone to declare a party in a primary if they really aren't part of that party. I guess this means that if you want to switch sides in the primary to at least have some say in your local elected offices, don't go around bragging about it. Also, I'm not sure if these records are public or not, so if you feel like you deserve to pick-up a Republican ballot to at least have a say in who your next county commissioner or sheriff will likely be, you might have a hard time explaining that if you want to go and do grass roots stuff for the Democrat party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
View detailed profiles of: