Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 09:31 AM

21 posts, read 76,652 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I will hopefully be relocating from Florida to Indianapolis in a couple of weeks.

What are winter clothing necessities for both casual and professional wear?

Also, my boyfriend, who rarely gets cold, is being very reluctant to buy winter clothing- he says he doesn't need it. What is the one thing he absolutely must have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 09:42 AM

8,985 posts, read 17,311,057 times
It is 20 degrees and snowing right now. You'll need a coat.

It will be 14 degrees and windy tomorrow. You will need a coat. I am bald, so I wear a hat in the winter. When it is as cold as it is now, I also wear gloves.

Has your boyfriend lived in Florida his whole life? I would think someone from Florida who claims to never be cold will be in for an eye opening experience when they get here.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:47 AM

21 posts, read 76,652 times
Hi Toxic, yes I know we'll need what coats, but I was wondering if there were certain materials or brands (on the low-cost end- we can layer) that we should look for.

He lived in Indiana when he was little, and has taken trips to snow locations, and he really just doensn't get cold, but I still want him to get *something*.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:00 AM

8,985 posts, read 17,311,057 times
North Face coats are popular right now. I do not own one, so I do not know if they are any good. They have a store at the Fashion Mall, you can get them other places as well.

I guess I am not really qualified to comment on what else might be fashionable, if that is what you are seeking. I wear a plain black polyester coat that I bought at JC Penney, occasionaly a track jacket or hooded sweatshirt when the temps are in the 40s, and honestly do not pay much attention to what everyone else is wearing.

My lady wears a wool plaid coat, wool and faux-wool is popular in my office and among my lady's friends. I do know that much.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:20 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,488,381 times
Fit is more important than style. You will want something to keep the wind out from around the neck so either a collar that closes or a scarf and a zipper down the front is nice. I got my coat from a garage sale. I think it is a Docker. Husband has several Eddie Bauer coats. Beware fancy low temp down coats as there will be only a few days cold enough to wear them. Washable is good due to dirt and salt. I got my mom two coats at Value World thrift shop for NY wear and she loves them. They had two long racks of winter coats earlier.

Something around the ears is needed if you will be outside doing things like walking to work or shoveling. Husband loves those warp around earmuffs. I just use a long scarf and wrap it if needed.

Gloves are nice but cheap ones are fine. I usually keep several pair of those $1 per pair stretchy ones lying around. Again, some are too good and are only used a day or two a year. Keep a set in the car for when you have to scrape or brush the car off. Not fun on a windy day with bare hands.

You dont want to walk around in the slushy snow in good shoes so have a pair to walk into the building in with socks. Water and salt will do a lot of damage so keep that in mind. No sense wearing $100 shoes outside. However, I rarely need boots. Anything suede like Uggs will be damaged immediately with our damp and slushy snow.

With layering, you can get away with three season coats by adding layers underneath. Fleece vests are good for this.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:17 AM

174 posts, read 529,078 times
When I lived there my silk long underwear were a lifesaver. Also, the insulated Isotoner gloves and long socks. I am not from Florida but I know that here in VA we don't have the same stuff in the stores as they do in IN. The Isotoner gloves here aren't as thick as the ones I found there. You will also need boots.

If I were you I would just get a few things in FL and then have a shopping trip after I arrived in IN. Best of luck to you!

Old 01-20-2011, 11:44 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,753,878 times
right now, winter wear is on clearance at most stores and online places.

Fleece lined stuff is always good. Also, if you can find a coat with a zip out liner, you won't have to spend money on a winter coat and a not so winter coat.

Thinsulate gloves and snow boots for shoveling and scraping.

Something to cover yer noggin, bald or not

Old 01-20-2011, 01:53 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,482,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandelionDeseos View Post
What is the one thing he absolutely must have?
Depression meds. Just kidding, kind of.

North Face is big right now for the trendy but 80% of the North Face coats you see around here are the cheap lower level models. not the ones they wear in Alaska and places liek that. I prefer Columbia.
I have never needed boots, I wear Vans all year long. Sure my feet get a little wet but I dont like feeling heavy from all the winter gear so I get by with Vans, a light columbia jacket or even a hoodie most the time. Unless your one of these people who like being outdoors in this crap there is no need for extreme clothing despite all the guys you will see wearing heavy Carhart gear.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:59 PM

74 posts, read 113,753 times
Something I have not seen mentioned yet is a good pair of truly-waterproof boots.

I know you asked about clothing, but you will also need to buy a good quality ice scraper with a metal blade (not plastic)/long brush combo, some lock de-icer, some windshield de-icer, and probably some HEET for your gas tank. Also check your car's owner's manual to see if you need to start using different types of oil, coolant, etc that can handle a much more varied temperature range. You will also need to wash your car more often in winter, including the undercarriage, because the salt and sand put down on the icy roads in winter can rust them out at an alarming rate. Speaking of salt, buy some rock salt for anyplace you need to walk regularly that is too icy. If either of you has never driven on ice, take some time to learn in a big empty parking lot before you need to know for real - and you will be much better off if your car is a front-wheel drive.

The important thing to remember about Indiana and clothing is that you should have multiple types of clothing available. We can have temps below zero or gusty wind & freezing rain or six inches of snow that takes forever to melt off... and six months later it will be so hot and sticky-humid that it will literally take your breath away for a few seconds when you step outside. The weather can also vary 30 or 40 degrees from one day to the next during the spring or fall - or even in the winter or summer. I have spent Christmas snowed in with 22 inches of snow and 15 degree wind chill, and I have also had Christmases at 60+ degrees where we grilled steaks for dinner. Weather almost always comes from the northwest. We do have lovely fall trees - especially after that first cold snap in mid-October.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:45 PM

140 posts, read 256,602 times
What is it with the mini-trend of people moving from Florida to Indiana of late? I mean...I ended up out here due to my job--what's y'alls exuse?

(And as you might can tell from my username, I'm also a Florida native.)

I'll say this: I spent my entire life in Florida before moving to Pennsylvania. Had never experienced that kind of cold--or snow--before in my life. It was a little rough in the beginnings--okay, a lotta rough--but what you'll find is that usually one winter is all you'll need, and then your blood will thicken and you can go running around outside in 15-degree weather with nary a fleece coat on over your normal clothes.

Or, at least, that was my experience in Pittsburgh.

Suffice it to say, I'm used to the cold now, having been shuffled around in northern climates for the past eight years, from PA to NJ to DC/MD and now here. If all else fails, depending on where in the 'Napolis y'all are moving to, I'm sure there'll be a Burlington's somewhere nearby. Ain't no doubt you'll find a good winter coat up in there.

Oh--and if you ain't got one (or never heard of one), get yourself a good ice scraper/brush tool. You'll need that to brush the snow off your vehicle after the snowstorm and to scrape any accumulated ice off your windshield. (Or, as in cases of tonight through tomorrow when we're due to get 2"-3" of ice accumulation, to CRACK the ice off your windshield.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana