Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 07:07 PM

46 posts, read 154,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
It's called I'm Stuffed. It's authentic Chicago food ... yum!!! Had some of Friday.
Is it on SR 7?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 07:15 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,340,440 times
hoosier812--I'm sorry you're experiencing some apparent difficulties right now. I would love to know what "major problems" Bloomington has that other places don't and how it's gone down hill. I mean that sincerely. I think we probably have more DUI's than other places of a similar size, but I also think that's to be expected in a college town.

The original poster is from the Chicago area. When comparing Bloomington to that region, the cost of living is here is relatively inexpensive. I know our real estate taxes alone went down 50% when we moved here. (similar house, more land here.) Commuting times for most people in Bloomington are about 15 minutes. Compared to the Chicago area, where the commute is one of the worst in the country, that saves a lot of gas money!

domergurl--that pizza guy in North Vernon is gonna LOVE you!!!

Old 09-11-2007, 05:05 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,723,787 times
Yes, it's on SR 7 across the street from the park. Just tell them that the crazy Columbus person recommended you.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:38 PM

2 posts, read 9,119 times
I am from a very small town about 80 miles west of Indy, so I can't give you that much insight on going from a HUGE town like Chicago to a smaller one, but I can definitely tell you that Bloomington is a great place to live. As I said, I am from a town of less than 3,000 which has a very closed minded personality. Coming to Bloomington was refreshing because everyone is accepted here, no matter what your views and beliefs are. It is a very liberal town, but it's not like you will be run out if you are a Republican. I am in my second year at IU, and I love Btown so much that I will probably stay here as long as possible after graduation if my job allows it. There is so much to do all the time for EVERYONE. You don't have to be a hard partying college student to be entertained here. Compared to where I am from, the shopping and food are amazing. Bloomington truly is one of the most beautiful cities in the state. If you like jogging, IU was rated one of the nation's top five best places to run because the scenery is so great. If you are religious, Btown has tons of churches of all different faiths, from Jewish to Christian to Muslim and beyond. Such a mixture of people get along well, too. I have been to Chicago a few times and I pity anyone who has to go downtown. Btown traffic will definitely be a pleasant change of pace for you. Coming from Chicago, you shouldn't think that Bloomington is a very expensive place to live, but for me- my apartment rent is twice what my parents pay for their house. I have relatives near Chicago and they always complain about what their home costs. I hope you decide to move here...you will definitely not regret it!

Old 09-13-2007, 11:05 AM

173 posts, read 591,680 times
dfje2006, I really appreciate your opinions...I have so many reasons to move out there, & this is really helpful. I'm wondering how downtown Btown is- is it easy to navigate? Are there skyscrapers? Should I find a place downtown or a little outside of downtown? I've been comparing costs & Btown is way less expensive than where I am right now. What is the average rent of houses and apartments, because in the house I'm at currently, I pay $1400 a month, it's just insanely expensive out here. Thanks so much!!

Old 09-13-2007, 03:44 PM

30 posts, read 124,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundance67 View Post
dfje2006, I really appreciate your opinions...I have so many reasons to move out there, & this is really helpful. I'm wondering how downtown Btown is- is it easy to navigate? Are there skyscrapers? Should I find a place downtown or a little outside of downtown? I've been comparing costs & Btown is way less expensive than where I am right now. What is the average rent of houses and apartments, because in the house I'm at currently, I pay $1400 a month, it's just insanely expensive out here. Thanks so much!!
I think you better come visit...it isn't very far from Chicago, and this is a great time of the year down here.
No skyscrapers, barely tree scrapers. Downtown is a square (called courthouse square). Some streets change names going from one side of the town to another for some reason, but other than that, not too difficult to navigate.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyjones View Post
I like Bloomington, as I think there are many things to do in a small town. If you like Big Ten sports, world class music (one of the best music schools in the world) great outdoor activity (watch the movie "Breaking Away" for bicycling) and near the largest lake in Indiana, Lake Monroe.

The weather here is great in the spring and fall (google Brown County fall foliage) but summer can be hot and humid and winter is pretty long and gray.

So after saying all of that, I think that you should visit Bloomington this fall.
Go to the farmers market downtown on Saturday morning, visit Olivers Winery on the north side of town, drive to Lake Monroe for a short visit and then finish the evening by visiting the artsy community of Nashville for a play at Brown County Playhouse. That should give you some idea if you would adapt.
Indyjones, I love all the suggestions ...I can't wait to actually take a trip & check it out.I've heard so much about how beautiful it is this time of year, so I guess I'll be visiting Bloomington pretty soon. I do plan on checking out the IU basketball games, & I've heard only a little about Nashville's artistic community... can you elaborate a little more? How far is it from Bloomington? I appreciate all the input.Thanks again!!

Old 09-13-2007, 08:26 PM

30 posts, read 124,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundance67 View Post
Indyjones, I love all the suggestions ...I can't wait to actually take a trip & check it out.I've heard so much about how beautiful it is this time of year, so I guess I'll be visiting Bloomington pretty soon. I do plan on checking out the IU basketball games, & I've heard only a little about Nashville's artistic community... can you elaborate a little more? How far is it from Bloomington? I appreciate all the input.Thanks again!!
IU basketball is going to be very good this year. You will be hard pressed to find tickets though, but around Christmas when the students leave you can probably find some. Nashville is a country type town, with lots of natural type artists abounding. A quaint town with many shops that sell everything from leather works to fudge and paintings. A nice town to take your time, eat an ice cream and walk slowly around just taking it in. My wife and I enjoy doing that, and topping it off at the Brown County Playhouse, which is part IU Theatre and part Broadway. A nice time. Nashville is around 15 minutes away from Bloomington.

Old 09-15-2007, 11:40 AM

Hay, I was reading some other posts on Bloomington, & hopefully someone can answer a few new questions I have. Is it true that Bloomington has a huge problem with homeless people? Also, what kind of activities are geared towards teenagers out there? What are some advantages for my teens to look forward to if we make the move? Thanks

Old 09-15-2007, 06:46 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,340,440 times
sundance--I don't think we have a huge problem with homeless people. Yes, we do have homeless people. Yes, there are agencies to assist the homeless, but in general they are unlikely to bother you. Most keep to themselves. Some do seem to hang out downtown, but that's because there is a soup kitchen nearby I think. I do think we're more aware of our problem here than some places. I would love to know what the other post was so I could better respond to this.

I have two teens---one boy, one girl. What do your children like to do? Are they into sports? Lots, and lots, and lots of possibilities from running clubs to biking to to hiking to caving to swimming to the more typical soccer, baseball, etc. Do they like theater or writing? There is a play writing group for students that performs their work. Music? Again, numerous possibilities from independent bands performing at the all ages club, to formal lessons to playing with the local symphony. Art--lots of possibilities there too. The thing about Bloomington is that there are all kinds of kids from all kinds of backgrounds. Most seem to find something that works for them. My daughter is a Jr. in HS. From what she says most "groups" in HS seem to tolerate and accept one another pretty well. That's not to say the cheerleaders are hanging out with the goth kids on Friday night, but most don't overtly dismiss each other.

The thing I've noticed here is that there is not the "keep up with the Jones" attitude so much as we experienced when we lived in the suburbs. A couple of nights ago I was at a going away party for a group that had been visiting the area. The party was at one family's farm. In attendance were a couple of IU professors, the farmer, and a guy that works at one of the local manufacturers. What brought this diverse group together was the value we placed on on children's education. It didn't matter that one drove an old pick up and one a luxury SUV. I not naive enough to think that any long lasting friendships will form from that little event, but the point is all of our teen children got along and respected one another. When I arrived home that night I said to my husband, "Only in Bloomington do we have a farmer and a professor at the same place making pleasant small talk and sharing a meal." I personally love it!

Also an FYI--As IndyJones said, IU Men's basketball tickets are very hard to get. Beware of purchasing student tickets though! Some people have done so and not been able to use them.

I'd time my trip for the end of Sept/early Oct. to see the best color!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana