Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 03:46 PM

27,231 posts, read 44,115,305 times

Advertisements

I'm a late 40-something gay WM apparently having my mid-life crisis and considering a move to Bloomington from my very urban, very different existence on the East Coast. I'm a Retail Store Manager (have been for several years) and the prior 15 years a Waiter/Bartender and Restaurant Manager.

Everything I've heard about Bloomington is pretty much what I'm after...a somewhat cosmopolitan/laidback/relatively inexpensive college town. I've heard how it's colder, quieter (yippee) and relatively isolated in terms of proximity to major cities. I have two concerns that are unanswerable thus far through research.

First is whether or not I'll be able to find a job there. With the state of the current economy aside, what are the job prospects for someone looking for a
job as a waiter/bartender with years of fine dining experience?

Secondly, I'm entertaining the thought of opening a small business (food oriented) once established and wonder what is the current state of the gourmet food-to-go scene in town.

Thanks...I know it's a lot to process but would appreciate any firsthand feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 05:32 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,083,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'm a late 40-something gay WM apparently having my mid-life crisis and considering a move to Bloomington from my very urban, very different existence on the East Coast. I'm a Retail Store Manager (have been for several years) and the prior 15 years a Waiter/Bartender and Restaurant Manager.

Everything I've heard about Bloomington is pretty much what I'm after...a somewhat cosmopolitan/laidback/relatively inexpensive college town. I've heard how it's colder, quieter (yippee) and relatively isolated in terms of proximity to major cities. I have two concerns that are unanswerable thus far through research.

First is whether or not I'll be able to find a job there. With the state of the current economy aside, what are the job prospects for someone looking for a
job as a waiter/bartender with years of fine dining experience?

Secondly, I'm entertaining the thought of opening a small business (food oriented) once established and wonder what is the current state of the gourmet food-to-go scene in town.

Thanks...I know it's a lot to process but would appreciate any firsthand feedback.

I would think you wouldnt have much of a problem finding a job. It's a big college town full of collegiates who are always spending money. A waiter/bartender position you will definetly find something

I dont think the gourmet to go scene is really good. Although if a few very bright people like you opened such place I am sure you would make a killer fortune!!

Old 03-15-2009, 08:05 PM

Thanks for the feedback and the welcome! I hope to whittle down my options and do a roadtrip in early summer. I'm considering Champaign, IL...Iowa City, IA...and Fayetteville, AR as well. Bloomington was the first reply I had from any of the posts so that might be a good sign! Hope to hear more about the town, the people and a bit about good places to live. Someplace walkable, near downtown and not overrun with undergrads if that's an option..

Old 03-15-2009, 08:39 PM

your welcome! Bloomington is a nice city. Bloomington is like a small town trapped inside a big town. I'll find some websites for Bloomington for you tomorrow. I have been up for to long today.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:08 PM

Greater Bloomington Chamber of Commerce | Home

--Bloomington Chamber of Commerce

Bloomington Indiana Tourism Center : Meeting Planners and Convention Information (http://www.visitbloomington.com/static/index.cfm?contentID=267 - broken link)

--Statistics,events,tourist activities,entertainment etc.. for Bloomington

Welcome to the City of Bloomington IN Website

webpage for the City of Bloomington

I hope these websites will be of assistance to you!!

Hopefully you will relocate to Bloomington!!

Old 03-17-2009, 04:50 AM

Thanks! I'll get busy researching these...hope we can chat soon.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:35 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,129,829 times
Since you are a "foodie" you may also be interested in these sites:

Welcome to FARM bloomington - Real Food in Bloomington Indiana USA

Restaurant Tallent - Home

Good luck

Old 03-17-2009, 07:40 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,881,179 times
We have been to Bloomington several times now and absolutely love it. It's extremely liveable and has the right balance of peacefulness and activity. The restaurants that we ate at were very good. We would move there in a minute if jobs were not an issue right now.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:43 PM

4 posts, read 10,095 times
One of the big things Bloomington is known for is its mix of restaurants. The people in Bloomington are really quite diverse and open-minded (thanks to the IU crowd) and restaurants that have an interesting twist seems to do really well. FARMbloomington opened right before we moved away and you would not believe the reception it got. The one really bad thing is it's a college town - the service industry suffers when the students leave for the summer and booms the minute they return.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:49 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,783,148 times
I think you'll LOVE Bloomington. The only other area I'd suggest you look into is Madison Wisconsin.

You should have a visit to Bloomington once campus empties out, then you'll get a feel for what the down time is. But you can be assured that from August to May, depending on where you work, you'll be busy as heck.

Here's another site you may want to look at:

http://www.visitbloomington.com/stat...34&sectionID=1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana